What's new

Rant - this one is bugging me... (1 Viewer)

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
It is just a message board not a term paper!!! Loosen up a little.
Agreed, and while it's such a minor thing, after seeing it one too many times, I had to point it out. If it were most any other misuse, I would probably not have cared. (and my least favorite subject was always English, LOL)

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
How about this one:

Quote is a VERB, not a noun (the noun is QUOTATION). Sorry, but this one really bugs me, and you see it all the time.

As for mixing up it's and its, you're and your, and their, there and they're-people should have figured those ones out by Grade Six. I really wonder about things when I see those misused by adults.

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
From dictionary.com:

People have been using the noun quote as a truncation of quotation for over 100 years, and its use in less formal contexts is widespread today. Language critics have objected to this usage, however, as unduly journalistic or breezy. As such, it is best avoided in more formal situations. The Usage Panel, at least, shows more tolerance for the word as the informality of the situation increases. Thus, only 38 percent of Panelists accept the example He began the chapter with a quote from the Bible, but the percentage rises to 53 when the source of the quotation is less serious: He lightened up his talk by throwing in quotes from Marx Brothers movies.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I never thought about that with respect to quote. I learn something every day! Then summarily forget it most of the time... ;)

Mark Romero

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Romero
Sometimes I crave Bass and sometimes I crave bass but I never crave bass because I like a little higher end. Am I off base?

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
I really think the Internet is the cause of people forgetting how to write.
Definitely part of it. People are letting "email-ese" or worse, "IM-ese" percolate into other things they write.

Another one I just thought of-I had a calculus professor who had a great rant on people measuring computer memory in "Kelvin Bels". Since any unit represented with a capital letter is a unit named after someone, whereas lowercase letters are not, KB would be different from kb.

Just for completeness, K is for Kelvin, the unit of absolute temperature named for Kelvin (whose first name I can't remember) and different from k (the prefix for kilo), and B is for Bel-the unit for sound intensity.

Just a little thing, but one of those things that you'll run across in Engineering.

Jim_F

Screenwriter
Another one that bugs me is when people say "hung" when they mean "hanged"-the two words have entirely different meanings.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks