Rant: dvd rom

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DavidEC, Nov 11, 2001.

1. DavidEC

DavidEC Stunt Coordinator

[​IMG]
    Why has so many DVD releases of late had items for use on a DVD-ROM only? Yet due to the work of many 'Easter Egg' hunters many of these features can be found and played back on a set-top DVD player. Does it really cost that much more to add the needed menu links to these features for play back on a set-top box??
    I can understand games, BUT interviews, out takes, scripts, and still images that can be accessed using TRACK & CHAPTER searches.
    Example of my RANT is the new Swordfish DVD, which has close to 20 features which could of easily been view on a set-top box, if menus had been added.
    Its one thing to hid features in the form of 'Easter Eggs' buts its another to limit access to easily viewed items to DVD-ROM computer set-up only.
    Done ranting.. [​IMG]

2. Richard Kim

Richard Kim Producer

One of the biggest bonehead moves is making the Matrix trailer only accessible on DVD-Rom.
    And does anyone know where it is? I've looked everywhere and I can't find it! (I just got a DVD Rom drive yesterday.)

3. Kenny Goldin

Kenny Goldin Second Unit

And in a lot of cases you cannot access DVD-Rom features if you are like me and use a Mac. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    You MUST
    see this Film!

4. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

Including DVDROM content that is not in a universally accessable format (ie non platform specific), or which requires the instalation of software to work, is an extremely short sighted approach to creating content. Since the vast majority of consumers can't access it (including those with all the correct software), it is simply a waste of precious disc space. Concentrate on the visual and audio quality and ditch this crap.
    Does anyone really believe that this content will be accessable in the future, as system upgrades progress? Does nayone really think that web based content will remain indefinately? Neither of these situations is realistic. Providing content that is tied to certain operating systems, or dependent on web access/availability limits the usefulness of these features.
    Ranted from a MAC. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Zardoz Online | Burt Lancaster is The Swimmer | DVD reviews at dOc

5. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino

6. Dwayne

Dwayne Supporting Actor

7. Joseph S

Joseph S Cinematographer

quote: Complain to Apple. DVD-ROM content isn't available on MACs because Apple refuses to cooperate with the DVD mastering folks according to a couple of articles I've seen lately. [/quote]
    That is total BS. Please pop in your Phantom Menace disc, provide your personal info to Interactual, and view the very same the web pages created and served up by Apple during the Phantom Menace's release.
    There isn't one thing there that can't be done on a Mac. They restrict you for not using their "Interactual Marketing Machine" and that' s it. Please tell me what Apple needs to let them do?? Piggyback on Apple's own DVD software??? I say tell them to create their own!!!!!! I can create a web browser to send them the marketing crap Interatual hoards in about 15 minutes with RealBasic. They're a bunch a lazy marketing execs that have done nothing to further DVD.
    Flash, QT, and HTML is all you get with Interactual and DVD-ROM. That's it!!!!!!!! They even try to fool you into thinking they've actually got a DVD Player app of their own while they pigback off your own. I don't want their crappy interface, I just want equal access to the websites whose bandwidth I paid for with the purchase of the DVD. They don't do a damn thing for DVD and are stealing your private info in the process.
    By the way, Interactual is not in the DVD mastering business.
    [Edited last by Joseph S on November 11, 2001 at 08:00 PM]

8. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

9. Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert Screenwriter

Oh to persuade them to not use Interactual. I've yet to see a DVD ROM feature thats worth giving my details away, making my PC highly unstable and putting up with all that rubbish for. I've tried it a few times for things, and every time I've had to reinstall Windows. You Mac owners aren't missing anything, trust me!

10. Brian O

Brian O Second Unit

I rarely even bother with the DVD-Rom content, even though mine always works well when I do.
    A couple discs come to mind where I really like the content though, Lawrence of Arabia and Shrek. LOA has some very nice map/history info that was very educational and Shrek has the voice-over program which is ingeniously done...and quite addicting!
    ------------------

11. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    Departing from the rants for a moment, Interactual browser v2.0 is a big improvement in terms of stability and compatability with the various applications it piggybacks compared to the previous PC Friendly versions.
    Regards,
    ------------------
    Ken McAlinden
    Livonia, MI USA

12. James_A

James_A Stunt Coordinator

More stable? Really? Everything that I've tried since I've upgraded.... has crashed. My PC never had that problem with the old version of PC friendly. When I upgraded it (to watch Shrek), it corrupted my copy of WinDVD. Hehe... even reinstalls don't help it. I'm not reinstalling my entire PC just to play with some voices on Shrek. Hehe... it's pretty funny actually.
    Jim

13. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    I have had fewer crashes since the upgrade, and it is also now compatible with my DVD player software. Previous versions showed anamorphic films "unsqueezed". I wonder if how well it works has anything to do with which version of Internet Explorer one is running?
    Regards,
    ------------------
    Ken McAlinden
    Livonia, MI USA

14. Kevin Johnson

Kevin Johnson Auditioning

I have not yet seen this new utility, but that PC Friendly really stinks. I can never get the software to work properly.

15. DavidEC

16. Brian O

Brian O Second Unit

David -
    Good point about putting DVD-Rom features on disc for use with set-top units. I wonder if these DVD-Rom features will be accessible in the future too.
    I think most computers bought in the last year or two come with DVD-Rom players.
    PC Friendly was buggy, but I really havent had any problems with my system. Again, remember to update your hardware drivers regularly and keep your version of Windows updated. Use name brand hardware too.
    Most PC problems usually seem to arise due to not keeping your system updated.
    ------------------
    [Edited last by Brian O on November 12, 2001 at 07:12 PM]

17. Oswald Pascual

Oswald Pascual Second Unit

Rant
    An Easter egg every once in a while on different DVD's does not bother me. However when it becomes major features like David said such as out takes and interviews, well that ticks me off. I would also much rather have those features easily accessible thru a menu system. There is also a compatability issue with some DVD-roms and these DVD's that they are dishing out. My "Snow White" wont play at all on 2 of my three PC's as it is! Plays fine on my DVD player. I also hate the little bit about "Install this player to access other features". Then the give you some buggy software that all of a sudden becomes your PC's Default. No thank You. I love my current DVD playing software and refuse to install those things ever again.
    /Rant
    Man I feel better already
    ------------------
    My Home Theater
    [​IMG]
    My DVD Collection Home Theater Pics
    Ozzie

18. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

19. Brian O

Brian O Second Unit

Jeff -
    I wasnt speaking of completely new programs, I was speaking of the bug fixes/updates for software/hardware that invariably follow.
    I know what you mean though. I have Win 98 and have no problems with it on my system. Everything runs great with all software including the latest in entertainment. I have no desire to jump on the XP boat and be a MS guinea pig.
    ------------------

20. DavidEC