Ranking Mits/Hit/Sony/Tosh

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Cribb, Nov 5, 2001.

1. John Cribb

John Cribb Auditioning

I'm trying to figure out on the basis of quality of picture and features how these models stack up against each other.
    Out of the box I'm thinking it would go like this (in order of preference)??
    Sony KP-57HW40
    Tosh 57HX81
    Hit 53SWX12B
    Mits WS-55819
    With lots of tweaking, would it then reshuffle to something like:
    Tosh 57HX81
    Sony KP-57HW40
    Mits WS-55819
    Hit 53SWX12B
    Trying to decide between these four models is a real bear.
    TIA
    John

2. Matt Heebner

Matt Heebner Stunt Coordinator

Asking to rank TV's is like asking someone to rank audio speakers. It is all up to the purchaser, and their tastes and requirements. I am biased toward Mits because I own one, and I think it has one of the best pictures for the price paid. Someone else might like the Toshibas better, and I've read posts of people that swear Hitachi's blow both of them away.
    You need to figure out which one you like best, which one looks best to you, and has the features you need. That being said, I think you are under-rating the Mitsubishi. It is probably the most "tweakeable" to take a great picture to the jaw dropping awesome level and probably has the highest knowledge base to guide you along. Check out
    http://www.hometheaterspot.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi
    Matt
    ------------------
    NO OAR...NO SALE/NO RENTAL!

3. John Cribb

John Cribb Auditioning

Thanks Matt, I don't mean to downgrade the Mits, but it seems there's a large number of posts about the red push problem, and its inferior line doubler. Perhaps it's just because there's a larger population of Mits out there than the others...
    Likewise maybe there's not as many rants/complaints about the Sony's because they've not been out there as long?
    As I said, it's really a bear to try to choose between these models. I was hoping people like yourself would chime in, challenge my ranking and offer objective reasons why such and such is better than so and so....
    Thanks,
    John

4. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

John,
    Your original post was a ranking of "out of the Box" performance, which I would take to mean performance derived with just AVIA or VE calibration with user controls--no delving into service menus, addition of red-push attenuators or external line doublers, no service menu 56-point convergence adjustments.
    Based on those criteria, and my own experience with an Hitachi 53UWX10B and a Sony KP57HW40, I would definitely rate the Sony higher than the Hitachi as far as how well it handles ntsc sources. The Sony's DRC is much better than Hitachi's line doubling, and it's stretch modes add much less digital artifacting. The grayscale is much more accurate on the Sony--no green swampy look in dark scenes. I've had the Sony almost 3 weeks now, and have done only an AVIA calibration. I have not done any service menu adjustments, nor have I felt any need to.
    I've only seen the Toshibas and Mits sets in stores, and don't consider store comparisons to be the most accurate way of comparing sets. But from shopping several different stores that had both Tosh and Mits running the same feeds, It's been my experience that the Tosh sets have consistently looked better on ntsc sources.
    When I decided to return the Hitachi, it was a tossup for me between the Toshiba and the Sony. The Tosh forum over at HT Spot had a number of reports of ghost lines, both vertical lines and ghosting of dark images on light backgrounds, though not all owners were having the problem. Overall, Tosh did seem to have fewer DOA sets than in previous model years-almost none in fact. I read no problems on the HW40, so I ordered one and am very happy with it.
    I live 200 miles from the nearest ISF tech, so good performance out of the box and a decent amount of user-tweaking information was important to me.
    Unlike the Hitachi, the Sony actually seems to have had some calibration of grayscale and such done at the factory--not ISF level, of course, but it just seems like a more carefully designed and set up finished product that doesn't beg for tweaks right out of the box.
    Plenty of tweaking information is available for the HS series Sonys, most of which also applies to the HW40 series.
    ------------------
    Steve S.
    I prefer not to push the subwoofers until they're properly run in.

5. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll Supporting Actor

John,
    I am afraid your entire premise is flawed, "best" is a subjective measure and is highly dependent on personal preferences. Some people prefer the higher contrast and sharpness of the Toshiba over the Mits. Others like the softer look of the Sony and some prefer the Hitachi. Even after tweaking it is still a matter of personal preference.
    But there is one thing that most people will agree on and that is that most RPTVs, when tweaked and cablibated properly, will provide wonderful displays for DVDs and HDTV. So the real performance differences among RPTVs are in NTSC perfomance, line doublers and stretch modes. In that regard things are considerably more clear-cut and I would re-order your rankings as follows:
    Pioneer (Elite or Home)
    Toshiba
    Sony
    Hitachi
    Mitsubishi
    BTW, I also think the Pioneers have the best DVD/HD PQ, but that's personal preference. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Dan
    [Edited last by Dan Driscoll on November 06, 2001 at 12:38 PM]
    [Edited last by Dan Driscoll on November 06, 2001 at 02:12 PM]

6. John Cribb

John Cribb Auditioning

Dan / Steve thanks for the responses. Dan, I agree with your statements and would have included Pioneer Elite in my original ranking except they were out of my price range. Personally, I didn't find the Home series added any value for the extra $$ over the others so I didn't consider them.
    Since the Tosh units seem to have variable "out of the box" quality problems, although their sharp pictures are fantastic, I initially ranked them lower than the Sony.
    To get to the point... I bought the Sony yesterday and was able to get a good pricematch at Sears on it. Paid $2850, before tax, but with free delivery and setup. Sears not only pricematched the best local deal I found, but beat it by $100. Even with tax added, this deal beat the best Internet deal I could find. And I have 60 days of price protection...
    Initial "out of the box" quality means a lot to me - that's probably why I prefer Japanese cars over domestics, and why I bought the Sony TV instead of the Tosh or Mits. Now if I was driving a German car instead of a Japanese, I probably would have bought the Pioneer Elite yesterday [​IMG]
    John

7. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

John,
    Sounds like you got a good deal.
    I know Sears delivery and service is top-notch.
    Please let us know how you like your new set!!
    BTW, I make my living fixing Toyotas, so I got a kick out of your car analogy.
    ------------------
    Steve S.
    I prefer not to push the subwoofers until they're properly run in.