Rankin/Bass X-Mas Shows!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Phil Florian, Dec 2, 2001.

1. Phil Florian

Phil Florian Screenwriter

I don't know, but were the minds behind "Rudolph" and "Year Without Santa" running out of ideas by the late 70's? We had dinner at our friend's house last night, helping them get their house decorated for the holidays. To keep us in the mood, we watched all the Rankin/Bass shows playing back to back on ABC Family channel (or whatever it was). The original stop motion classics were a hoot to watch again, but then some rarities that I don't remember from growing up started popping on. Jack Frost? Man, did that last forever...and the "Amazing Adventures of Santa"...the hell!? It was odd and sad, in a way. Did these guys ever do stuff past 1979 (that looked to be the last one, at least shown last night)? They should have stopped at "The Year Withuot Santa" or maybe even before it. It was really a dud.

Happy Holidays!

Phil

PS We also watched a tape of "Wish for Wings that Work" staring Bill and Opus. Dang, that was funny as all get out! Why don't they show this one during the season? This was extremely funny stuff. Was it the cross dressing cockroach? "Albatross!!"

2. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    I love "The Year without Santa Claus" Especially the Heat-miser and those oh-so-catchy tunes.... I think I spent all last year when I bought the VHS tape for my sister singing "I'm Mr. Heat Miser... I'm Mr. Sun..." [​IMG] I saw
    that on the Family channel but I wasn't home to watch it and my sister has the tape anyway. I did manage to see Frosty I think on Friday night on CBS. I can't seem to watch Frosty Returns, it's quite forgettable if you ask me.
    One of the better new Xmas specials I think is the Drew Barrymore one, "Olive, the other reindeer" or something like that, it's really cute, in addition to all the classics...
    Jay
    "I'm Mr hundred and one" OHhhhhh, here I go again!!!

3. Phil Florian

Phil Florian Screenwriter

Good point about Mr. Heat Miser! I was thinking of a different Santa one. We were singing that one all last night and figuring out how to make costumes of Heat and Cold for next Halloween. Good stuff. But after that (shiver).

Phil

4. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Screenwriter
    Supporter

I think they just ran out of ideas by that point. Find a copy of MAD MONSTER PARTY to see Rankin/Bass in their heyday. Good stuff.

I did notice that ABC Family edited the "If You Sit On My Lap Today" song in SANTA CLAUS IS COMIN' TO TOWN was edited out. Not acceptable in today's climate of fear, I guess.