What's new

Rankin/Bass The Daydreamer coming to blu ray (1 Viewer)

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
saw this on the other site, and felt compelled to share for all those animation aficionados whom may be interested, one of the three theatrical releases from the duo that incorporated AniMagic,
the sole remaining title then should someone be willing to take a chance is Willy McBean and his Magic Machine. Hopefully one of the independents will step up and make that a reality.

the great thing is Scorpion Releasing is using the Al Hirschfield one sheet as their release art, hope more surprises are added to this, but if it is just the film presented correctly, well :D

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
saw this on the other site, and felt compelled to share for all those animation aficionados whom may be interested, one of the three theatrical releases from the duo that incorporated AniMagic,
the sole remaining title then should someone be willing to take a chance is Willy McBean and his Magic Machine. Hopefully one of the independents will step up and make that a reality.

the great thing is Scorpion Releasing is using the Al Hirschfield one sheet as their release art, hope more surprises are added to this, but if it is just the film presented correctly, well :D
KINO is Scorpion Releasing

From the BookFace:

1611844078749.png

1611843958860.png

Attachments

• 1611843749092.png
    1611843749092.png
    83.1 KB · Views: 12

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
I saw this along with Mad Monster Party and The Wacky World Of Mother Goose last year on TCM when they did a night of R/B films. I grew up watching Mad Monster Party, but was only aware of the other two by name only though. This film wasn't bad, but I felt the stop-motion Animagic sections were a bit crude looking than that of Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer and Mad Monster Party.

Last edited:

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
I saw it on its opening day at the Warner Cinerama in Hollywood. Me and not a single other person. It was a HUGE flop. It was pretty bad, actually, save for the score, which is really good.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I remembered it fondly from my childhood, but when I got my hands on the DVD and revisited it a few years ago, it didn't hold up at all for me.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I have the DVD and am a big Rankin Bass fan. I will upgrade this only if it is OAR which the DVD and TCM presentations are not. I would also like to see Wacky World of Mother Goose and a new Mad Monster Party if they were presented OAR. These 3 films were on TV all the time in the early to mid 70's and were a big part of my childhood.

MarkA

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Abel
I will buy everything to add to my full Hayley Mills collection! And the bonus is Patty Duke too!

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
I have the DVD and am a big Rankin Bass fan. I will upgrade this only if it is OAR which the DVD and TCM presentations are not. I would also like to see Wacky World of Mother Goose and a new Mad Monster Party if they were presented OAR. These 3 films were on TV all the time in the early to mid 70's and were a big part of my childhood.
The Daydreamer was probably shot in widescreen, but I think both MMP and Mother Goose were in full screen only though.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
The Daydreamer was probably shot in widescreen, but I think both MMP and Mother Goose were in full screen only though.
Daydreamer was 1966, MMP was 1968 and Mother Goose was 1967 all theatrical films were released in Widescreen at that time.
1.85:1 would have been the ratio for all 3 but 1.66:1 would be a fair compromise for those worried about some animation being cropped even though the majority of it in 1.85:1 would be cropping filler at top and bottom from the open matte.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Daydreamer was 1966, MMP was 1968 and Mother Goose was 1967 all theatrical films were released in Widescreen at that time.
1.85:1 would have been the ratio for all 3 but 1.66:1 would be a fair compromise for those worried about some animation being cropped even though the majority of it in 1.85:1 would be cropping filler at top and bottom from the open matte.
MMP was March 8 1967. MMP would look weird in widescreen, same goes for Wacky Mother Goose.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
MMP was March 8 1967. MMP would look weird in widescreen, same goes for Wacky Mother Goose.
They were framed for Widescreen when produced so they shouldn't look weird. I have zoomed the MMP blu ray and although not the proper image or framing it looked fine. If it was correctly framed it would have a very small amount of extra footage on the sides and a little more headroom to crop.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
They were framed for Widescreen when produced so they shouldn't look weird. I have zoomed the MMP blu ray and although not the proper image or framing it looked fine. If it was correctly framed it would have a very small amount of extra footage on the sides and a little more headroom to crop.
I've haven't heard Rick Goldschmidt, Rankin/Bass Historian ever saying that those three films are supposed be in widescreen.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I've haven't heard Rick Goldschmidt, Rankin/Bass Historian ever saying that those three films are supposed be in widescreen.
I haven't heard him say anything one way or the other about that but Theaters stopped using 1.37:1 in 1953 these are all 60's films. They were made open matte 1.37:1 but done with mattes for widescreen since that is how the theaters were going to show them. Many of us including myself grew up with these on tv in the 70's and later and would have seen them full screen then so its nice to see them how they were intended to be shown in theaters. Full Frame makes them look like they were TV movies which they were not they were Theatrical movies. Same thing with the Man From Flintstone. The earlier DVD of this theatrical film was full frame but now we have it in widescreen as it was originally shown.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
I haven't heard him say anything one way or the other about that but Theaters stopped using 1.37:1 in 1953 these are all 60's films. They were made open matte 1.37:1 but done with mattes for widescreen since that is how the theaters were going to show them. Many of us including myself grew up with these on tv in the 70's and later and would have seen them full screen then so its nice to see them how they were intended to be shown in theaters. Full Frame makes them look like they were TV movies which they were not they were Theatrical movies. Same thing with the Man From Flintstone. The earlier DVD of this theatrical film was full frame but now we have it in widescreen as it was originally shown.
Explain 101 Dalmatians, as it's the only 60's Disney animated movie to be in 1.33.1 while The Sword In The Stone and The Jungle Book can be shown both wide or full screen.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Explain 101 Dalmatians, as it's the only 60's Disney animated movie to be in 1.33.1 while The Sword In The Stone and The Jungle Book can be shown both wide or full screen.
101 Dalmations being full screen was widely debated when released on Blu Ray here. It was shown 1.75:1 as all the 60's and 70's Disney animated films were but apparently there is some evidence that 101 dalmations may have originally been intended for TV and then switched to theatrical but for whatever reason they decided Full Frame for the Blu Ray. Any film made Open Matte like the ones you mentioned can be shown 1.33:1, 1.66:1, 1.75:1 and 1.85:1 but if the film is a theatrical film it was intended to be widescreen so they used mattes to matte out top and bottom info that is not meant to be seen. So its a matter of if you want to see it how it was intended for theaters or how you grew up watching it on tv. Now whether that is 1.66, 1.75 or 1.85 usually depends on what country it was shown in. Some animation buffs prefer widescreen films in 1.33:1 without the mattes so they can see all of the artwork but a small amount is still missing from the sides this way so there is no true all of the picture. Which is why I said 1.66:1 would probably be the best way for these 3 Rankin Bass films as that would get the small amount of extra footage on the sides and have minimal cropping to the top and bottom while still giving a theatrical look.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
101 Dalmations being full screen was widely debated when released on Blu Ray here. It was shown 1.75:1 as all the 60's and 70's Disney animated films were but apparently there is some evidence that 101 dalmations may have originally been intended for TV and then switched to theatrical but for whatever reason they decided Full Frame for the Blu Ray. Any film made Open Matte like the ones you mentioned can be shown 1.33:1, 1.66:1, 1.75:1 and 1.85:1 but if the film is a theatrical film it was intended to be widescreen so they used mattes to matte out top and bottom info that is not meant to be seen. So its a matter of if you want to see it how it was intended for theaters or how you grew up watching it on tv. Now whether that is 1.66, 1.75 or 1.85 usually depends on what country it was shown in. Some animation buffs prefer widescreen films in 1.33:1 without the mattes so they can see all of the artwork but a small amount is still missing from the sides this way so there is no true all of the picture. Which is why I said 1.66:1 would probably be the best way for these 3 Rankin Bass films as that would get the small amount of extra footage on the sides and have minimal cropping to the top and bottom while still giving a theatrical look.
You're not gonna convince him, I'm afraid. It's so simple, but everyone just doesn't want to hear it because they didn't see these films in the theater, but on TV. Daydreamer was 1.85, period, the end, no arguments. That's how it was shown in theaters and the same for the other two Rankin/Bass films.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I asked Rick Goldschmidt himself on Friday , and an hour ago he replied back with following about three films.

View attachment 87483
You're misunderstanding him. They were filmed Full Screen/Open Matte with mattes to protect for widescreen and shown in theaters widescreen. Extra information was filmed at the top and bottom of the frame that contains mostly dead space so it could be cropped. Theatrical films were not shown Full screen in the 60's. I just watched the blu ray of MMP this weekend and its not even full open matte 1.37 its 1.33 tv aspect ratio which means its slightly zoomed in. The sides are a little tight.
By 1955 theaters had all done away with Full Screens/1.37:1 and replaced them with widescreens as we have today. If a movie in the 60's was shown Full Screen nearly half of the screen would be covered with huge black bars. People would think there is something wrong and would have asked for their money back.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moviefan88