What's new

Rankin/Bass Christmas Specials (1 Viewer)

Chris Dugger

Supporting Actor
Here's everything you need to know on Rudolph:

1998 restored release contains a longer version of "We Are Santa's Elves", a duet reprise of "We're A Couple Of Misfits", plus additional narration by Burl Ives and two short scenes towards the end resolving Yukon Cornelius' quest for gold (he discovers that all he was really searching for was a peppermint mine) and Santa's lead reindeer Donner looking up at Rudolph in the air and proclaiming "That's my buck". The version that originally premiered on NBC in 1964 had these sequences minus the Island Of Misfit Toys ending (where Santa and company return to the Island to rescue the toys that had been left behind earlier in the story)--that was animated, filmed, and used for the 1965 re-release (and all subsequent television and video releases through 1997) after viewer protests demanded a resolution of that storyline. The original version also had a different main title that does not mention "Rankin/Bass present" (as it had already been established it was originally a General Electric presentation--GE had been the show's original sponsor), and an end credits sequence where the elves show the technical credits on gift boxes before dumping them on the ground to their destinations. The 1965-1997 re-edit has the "Rankin/Bass present" subtitle at the beginning, and an alternate end credits sequence with the elves putting their gifts under flying umbrellas to take them to their destinations (as the techincal credits are superimposed on the screen), while omitting the instrumental bridge to "We Are Santa's Elves" and the "Peppermint Mine" & "That's my buc" dialogue sequences, and finally replacing the "...Misfits" reprise with the song "Fame And Fortune" (which appears on the current DVD release as a separate supplement). The Island Of Misfit Toys ending was later incorporated into the 1998 restored version, which (as of 12/02) continues to air annually on CBS

Dugger

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
Eric Peterson said:
Do the unreleased titles usually air on TV during the holidays? If so, what channel do they usually air on? I would like to at least Tivo them and rip them to a DVD.
ABC Family plays a lot of them during their "25 Days of Christmas." I know they show Life and Adventures of Santa Claus, The First Christmas Snow, and both Little Drummer Boy movies.

MielR

Advanced Member
Real Name
MielR
Yeah, I think it was last year that I recorded "Rudolph" from CBS, and I recorded "a year without a santa" and "santa claus is coming to town" (and a few others- "Frosty", I think) from ABC-Family.
If ABC-Family doesn't show them this year, I'm sure some other station will. :)

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
I feel really embarrassed for saying this, but I LOVE these films around the holidays. They really put me in the Christmas spirit. I don’t care if they look like crap on DVD as long as they’re on DVD. I bought most of them on DVD a few years back and they get dusted off every year and watched. It reminds me of being a kid. Looks like they’ll be popped in the player once December rolls around! :D

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
No need to feel embarrassed Ron, your in good company! I have just about every one on dvd. I'm holding on to my Little drummer Boy Book II vhs tape until it comes out on dvd. Each year I frantically search for any news of it but each year I'm disappointed.

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
Ron Reda said:
I feel really embarrassed for saying this, but I LOVE these films around the holidays. They really put me in the Christmas spirit. I don’t care if they look like crap on DVD as long as they’re on DVD. I bought most of them on DVD a few years back and they get dusted off every year and watched. It reminds me of being a kid. Looks like they’ll be popped in the player once December rolls around! :D
:emoji_thumbsup:
I definately agree with this. Christmas is absolutely my favorite time of year, and it wouldn't be the same without these. I love that I have a lot of them on DVD now, because I don't have a DVR, as I don't watch enough TV to justify having one. I never miss Rudolph or Frosty when they come on CBS, but some of the other lesser known specials such as The Night Before Christmas or Frosty's Winter Wonderland are harder to catch. I still need to pick up Year Without a Santa Claus and Jack Frost (one of my very favorites that often gets overlooked). I've always wondered why only Frosty and Rudolph get remembered. I mean, even Santa Claus is Comin' to Town doesn't get played on regular TV anymore. I know I've said this before, but I would really love to see the Life and Adventures of Santa Claus released. Maybe next year.

Mike Miskulin

Second Unit
The Life and Adventures of Santa Claus was never one I remember seeing as a child, but it certainly is the pinnacle of the Rankin/Bass' Animagic process. Amazing animation, but overall kinda a little freaky. I would add it to the collection in a heartbeat.

As an aside, does anyone know when CBS plans on airing Rudolph in hi-def this year? I missed the HD broadcast last year and don't intend to do so this year...

mike.

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
I'm guessing Rudolph will be in HD again, but Directv still hasn't added our local HD providers, so I'll be out of luck again.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
The one thing painfully clear is that everytime The Family Channel's 25 Days of Christmas showing of the Little Drummer Boy, it's clear the the quality of the picture is really, really bad. Don't know why it can't be restored, but when you compare it to LDB2, LBD2 looks like a high def transfer. Maybe that's why LDB is not on DVD.

Chris_kirk

Grip
As I understand it, the 35mm print of the Little Drummer Boy has not been found. It was last used for a VHS release, but was apparently lost by the time there were efforts to release it on dvd. All we have today is a 16mm print, and that's why we have the poor quality on dvd.

i don't know that this is the same situation with LDB2.

JerryKILL

Stunt Coordinator
At the above mentioned blog is this post (October 31, 2006):

"looks like THE LIFE AND ADVENTURES OF SANTA CLAUS is not coming out on DVD...WARNER BROTHERS dropped the ball on a box set."

This seems to imply that a box set was announced/rumored at some point?

Louis Letizia

Supporting Actor
Sometimes-especially with childrens films(such as THE PHANTOM TOLLBOOTH) and especially Christmas tv specials-it sort of adds to the complete nostalgia effect seeing a beloved special like THE LITTLE DRUMMER BOY in not so pristine condition. Thats why I am indebted to Family Channel's 25 days of Christmas-as much as I love DVDs-the idea of watching DRUMMER, SANTA CLAUS IS COMING TO TOWN and others in scratchy condition WITH toy commercials makes me feel more like an 8 year old than any dvd could.It brings you back to a certain time and place unfiltered through hi tech access.
Now if only we can see Santa gliding down the slopes in a Norelco razor I'd really be in Nostalgic bliss! Paul Frees is a God1

Getting off the path a bit-anyone remember a syndicated Christmas special called "Christmas Is" with a boy and a sheepdog?

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Chris Dugger said:
Here's everything you need to know on Rudolph:
1998 restored release contains a longer version of "We Are Santa's Elves", a duet reprise of "We're A Couple Of Misfits", plus additional narration by Burl Ives and two short scenes towards the end resolving Yukon Cornelius' quest for gold (he discovers that all he was really searching for was a peppermint mine) and Santa's lead reindeer Donner looking up at Rudolph in the air and proclaiming "That's my buck". The version that originally premiered on NBC in 1964 had these sequences minus the Island Of Misfit Toys ending (where Santa and company return to the Island to rescue the toys that had been left behind earlier in the story)--that was animated, filmed, and used for the 1965 re-release (and all subsequent television and video releases through 1997) after viewer protests demanded a resolution of that storyline. The original version also had a different main title that does not mention "Rankin/Bass present" (as it had already been established it was originally a General Electric presentation--GE had been the show's original sponsor), and an end credits sequence where the elves show the technical credits on gift boxes before dumping them on the ground to their destinations. The 1965-1997 re-edit has the "Rankin/Bass present" subtitle at the beginning, and an alternate end credits sequence with the elves putting their gifts under flying umbrellas to take them to their destinations (as the techincal credits are superimposed on the screen), while omitting the instrumental bridge to "We Are Santa's Elves" and the "Peppermint Mine" & "That's my buc" dialogue sequences, and finally replacing the "...Misfits" reprise with the song "Fame And Fortune" (which appears on the current DVD release as a separate supplement). The Island Of Misfit Toys ending was later incorporated into the 1998 restored version, which (as of 12/02) continues to air annually on CBS
Dugger
My wife remembers when this was first aired on TV the scene where Burl Ives character comes down the snowbank on an electric shaver. She was disappointed that the scene was not included on the DVD.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
The Burl Ives thing your wife remembers may have been one of the GE commercials aired during the broadcast. The Rudolph ANIMAGIC characters were the stars of the commercials. The Little Drummer Boy dvd version is missing almost all of the sound effects that were present on older vhs copies. Santa Claus is Comin' To Town was on ABC last year for the first time in 25 years..but it was severely edited, so much so that it was almost incomprehensible. I'm a Rankin/Bass ultra-fan and I know a lot about the specials! The Mouse on the Mayflower has also not been released on dvd. Most of the dvds have the original RB logo at the end. But curiously, it is missing from YWAS. I have some of these taped from the mid-1980's. I loved the commercial bumpers with "..... will return after these messages" actually written out on the screen and the wonderful RB music playing.

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
My wife remembers when this was first aired on TV the scene where Burl Ives character comes down the snowbank on an electric shaver. She was disappointed that the scene was not included on the DVD.
Roland, I think your wife is remembering the early '70s Norelco commercials with with Santa Claus riding a Norelco razor through the snow. It looks just like Rankin Bass puppet animation.
Rick Goldschmidt of RankinBass.com gives a complete description of the commercials that aired with the original broadcast here, and they all featured elves only. Sam the Snowman was not in the commercials.
http://www.tvparty.com/xmasrudolph2.html

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
ScottR said:
Santa Claus is Comin' To Town was on ABC last year for the first time in 25 years..but it was severely edited, so much so that it was almost incomprehensible.
Do you mean ABC or ABC Family? Because I'm pretty sure ABC Family has been showing it for years. Also, what was edited?

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
I mean ABC. I don't remember what all was edited, but most of the songs were taken out as well as much of the story! I believe it was edited from 50 mins. down to 37 or so!

Eric Vedowski

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric
Speaking of editing, CBS used to cut one number to shorten the running time. One year it would be "Jingle, Jangle, Jingle" and the next year it would be "We Are Santa's Elves." I noticed this back in the late 70s/early 80s after I got the soundtrack album.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
I recently got a copy of a DVD boxed set called The Original Television Christmas Classics with Rudolph , Frosty and Santa Claus Is Comin' To Town and others in it. I haven't watched it yet, but is the version of Rudolph the restored 1998 version?
I've got to confess I only got the set just to see my all-time fave TV holiday special, Santa Claus Is Comin' To Town complete and w/o commercials. I was only five years old when I saw its premiere telecast in 1970, and it still holds up! As a grownup and a fan of classic Hollywood, I'd like to think of SCICTT as the closest we will ever get to an MGM Christmas musical: you've got Fred Asatire as the singing postman/narrator, and the ageless Mickey Rooney as Kris Kringle/Santa Claus. If only Judy Garland or Debbie Reynolds had provided the voice of Jessica/Mrs. Claus, it would've been really spectacular. BTW, why didn't MGM do a Christmas musical? They had a great smash with Easter Parade, but Paramount wound up doing White Christmas, stealing Metro's thunder. But still, with all the talent the studio had under contract, you'd think they would've done a really good Yuletide songfest directed by the likes of a Minnelli or Berekeley.......

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks