What's new

Rank receivers on bright/warm scale (1 Viewer)

JasonWaddington

Stunt Coordinator
Could someone rank the top receiver makers (ie Denon, HK, Yamaha, Kenwood, etc...) on a scale of bright - warm, starting with the warmest? I have a yamaha with my klipsch right now and I think the brightness is too much. I have heard yamahas are bright from some people. Give me some input heeya!

thanks

Tom_Mack

Stunt Coordinator
From my experience:

Brightest
1. Onkyo-Integra 7.1 - way too bright
2. Yamaha 596
- a little too bright for music, very good for movies
3. Marantz 8200 - best for music, very good for movies
4. Denon 3802
- too warm for me - a little dull sounding IMHO
Warmest

JasonWaddington

Stunt Coordinator
yea, ive been thinking about the denon 2802. i heard its much warmer than the yamaha htr5560 i have and would be a better match for my klipsch rf-3ii's

Larry B

Screenwriter
Jason:

I have a yamaha with my klipsch right now and I think the brightness is too much.
While changing your receiver is one viable approach, you might also want to consider whether the excessive brightness ultimately stems from the Klipsch speakers.

Larry

JasonWaddington

Stunt Coordinator
perhaps, but i love the klipsch sound, clarity, efficiency and volume capabilities. i just want a receiver that can reduce the brightness slightly.

Dalton

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dalton
Jason,
I have found Marantz to be an excellent match for my Klipsch RF3II'S. Tones down the brightness just enough.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
of course, there's always the thought the room might play a not too subtle role in the speaker's tendencies.

EricHaas

Supporting Actor
Bright and warm are not opposites. You cannot have a single continuum scale from "bright" to "warm."

Tom_Mack

Stunt Coordinator

True, but you can't argue that each receiver seems to output the higher frequencies at a different level. IMHO, The Onkyo emphasised the highs too much, the Yamaha emphasised the highs just a tad (but had the most natural voices), the Marantz was brought out the midrange more and tamed the high frequencies just enough, the Denon had tight bass and a good midrange, but the highs were a bit muffled IMO.

Taming room reflections can always help with overly bright sound, but its not always possible. Sometimes moving to a new receiver is a better (and sometimes only) option.

Phil Mays

Second Unit
For what it's worth. I heard some Klipsch RF-7's on a Yammy receiver for quite some time. When the HI-FI shop sold the Yammy they replaced it with a Dennon 4802. The speakers did not move, but I felt they sounded much brighter than before. The Yammy was their flagship model and I do not know what model that is.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks