Randy Newman & Howard Shore's 1st Oscar Wins Tonight

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by luke j. chung, Mar 25, 2002.

1. luke j. chung

How does everyone in the forum feel about these two longtime veterans of the music and film biz finally receiving their due? Randy Newman waited through 16 nominations(!) over the past 2 decades. Howard Shore has been around just as long and got his big break as the 1st music director for "Saturday Night Live" way back in 1975! They've basically been the Susan Lucci's of the film music biz for as long as I can remember. Seeing them win tonight was such a big deal, even Oscarcast host Whoopi Goldberg and fellow nominee John Williams were visibly juiced on camera about it![​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

I was absolutely over the moon. They were beginning to waste Newman's time, he's such a modest being and he'd been up for nomination fifteen times before, has performed at the ceremony countless times and he never got a thing until last night.

In the score category, I was hoping for Shore, but in no way would I have kicked up a fuss if Newman had one for his brilliant Monsters Inc score, both are absolute delights. So it turned out Shore got the oscar for Score, and Randy got it for song...both were rewarded and I was as happy as could be.

Dan

3. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    Randy Newman's uncle, Lionel Newman was nominated for 10 Oscars before he finally won one. His other uncle, the legendary Alfred Newman, had an easier go at it, though. He won nine Oscars. At the 1940 Oscars, Alfred Newman was nominated for four Oscars in one year for four different films, but did not win one of them. The fact that he won an Oscar in the previous and subsequent year probably made that a bit easier to swallow. [​IMG] Alfred's son Thomas Newman was nominated against himself in 1995 for both "Little Women" and "Shawshank Redemption". Both lost to "The Lion King".
    Since Alfred, Hollywood makes those Newman fellas work hard for their Oscars. [​IMG]
    Regards,

4. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    I was happy to see Newman finally break the streak. He's a classy guy with a great sense of humor.

As for Shore, I was THRILLED that he won for Lord of the Rings. Being his first nomination, I didn't think he'd get it. It's a monumental work - and it's only part one of three! - that deserved the recognition. My dream, though, would have been a tie between Shore and Williams (for A.I.).