What's new

Random Sub noise (1 Viewer)

ColinW

Agent
I have a Polk PS250 powered sub which has suited my needs just fine for my small theatre.

Recently the sub started randomly producing noise, sometimes during movie playback and sometimes when the system is just quiet. It is just short bursts of noise and I am not sure what is causing it. I tried rewiring, and when I run the sub audio tests in Avia it seems to respond correctly, however when I ran the regular THX optimizer tests it didn't respond at all during the speaker tests.

If someone has ever had the same problem please let me know. I would love to know what the problem is. Maybe it is something terribly wrong and I can upgrade to an SVS!!

Colin

Ron Sc

Agent
I had the same problem with my polk sub. Bottom line get rid of the Polk sub.
If you want to see the post I started on the subject you can click Search "loud pop" by "Ron Sc" I can't do a link not enough posts yet

JohnGil

Stunt Coordinator
I once had a Klipsch SW-12II that would pick up noise caused by the electrical outlet and it would rumble periodically for no apparent reason. I bought a AC noise filter from Radio Shack and the problem was fixed. If you like your sub go pick one up. I think it was like $15 a cheap fix, unless your looking for a reason to get a better sub :). I sold the Klipsch eventually and got a M&K MV-125 which was a great sub but for less money, I was able to get a SVS 20-39PC+ and I'm glad I did. The SVS is just as tight as the M&K but plays allot lower and allot louder and does so with authority. So like I said if your looking for a reason to get a new sub here is your opportunity.

ColinW

Agent
I would love to have an excuse to get an SVS, but I really don't need anything that fantastic in my meager theatre. If anything I would upgrade my mains and surrounds first.

I have been happy enough with the Polk sub in my setup and if it worked well until recently. The explanation of the power causing the occasional rumbles makes sense I guess. I will try the Radio Shack fix to see if it works.

I have had it plugged into the same outlet for a couple of months now with no problems. Any idea why it would start just a few day ago with the random rumbling?

RonSC - did you try an AC noice filter or just get rid of the sub altogether?

I appreciate any and all help. People here are always very helpful and full of assistance.

Colin

Erik.Ha

Supporting Actor
I had the same problem... it was solved by replacing the line in cable with a better shielded (is that a word???) one.

ColinW

Agent
I picked up a better Y cable, and I will try that on the linelevel inputs on the sub. Hopefully that will do the trick.

I asked About An AC noise filter and the Radio Shack employee looked at me as though I had three heads. Where should I be looking to find something like that?

Colin

JohnGil

Stunt Coordinator
Well, Ive found most of the people that work at the Ratshack dont know whats in there store. Any how the unit has a heavy 6' 3 prong power cord and a small black box on one end with a single 3 prong outlet on it. It say's Radio Shack right on it. I'll look at it tonight and get the part number for you.

ColinW

Agent
Thanks John. I have had similar dealings with those at Radio Shack. I looked around, but didn't see anything similar to what you describe.

A part number may be very useful.

Colin

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks