What's new

Random Rumblings (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Stanley:

Why not start a thread in the Feedback Forum and see what people have to say? It's a proper discussion..but not really suited for a thread like this.

I'm not sure why you think posting is down here, though, if the only comparison you've got is with what's going on at another forum.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
Glad to see that it may not be a fact. I really just wanted some input from you guys about it, no need to start a new thread and possible sh** storm if things are fine. Maybe I'm off base about a reduction in participation over the last 10 years, but I'm glad to hear it.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
I'm beginning to wonder how much the forum is losing average active users. Just comparing post counts at Blu-ray.com HTF seems to be a very small percentage of that on a daily basis. Granted, the content here packs much more useful information in that small percentage, but I am wondering if it may be reaching any critical level. I had been coming here for at least 8 years before officially joining when I retired, and there is definitely much less lively posting on a daily basis. I'd hate to lose this beacon in the fog, and would like to here thoughts, especially from some administrators.

We are small compared to Blu-ray and AVS, but we have always been comfortable with quality over quantity, and the signal to noise ratio we have over some of those sites. Having said that we are rolling out some internal initiatives to grow the site. The last incarnation of our site was made to be temporary, but a software upgrade we were waiting for got pushed back for almost two years so we weren't really able to invest in the platform like we wanted to have a good foundation to build on resulting in some stagnation. Finally we bit the bullet and decided to go a different path and did the recent conversion. Its just one of many investments (both time and money) that we are making into growing HTF.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
I've been on the HTF for a number of years and I do wonder what became of some of these posters. Some, sadly are deceased, some have moved on to other pursuits, a few that I can recall were banned for bad behavior, some folks migrate to other forums, and I'm sure that some just became 'talked out'. All kinds of reasons. I try not to look back too much because as Kevin observed - that's life. Having said that, there are handful of posters whom I really miss, but I won't list them since I might leave someone I valued off the remembrance.

- Walter.

I no longer have an issue with any of the reasons, believe me, I understand.

greenscreened

Second Unit
Real Name
Bob
You can pick your nose and you can pick your friends, but you can't wipe your friends on the back of the couch.
Be proud that you can't.

A bird in the hand makes it hard to blow your nose.
That would be hard, but on the plus side, when you finally do, it should be pretty easy to wipe it on the back of someone’s couch who finally figured out how to wipe their friends on it, plus, it should blend right in!

I always heard a bird in the hand can be pretty messy, now I finally understand why.

Anyway, a little PSA…always get to the movie theater a little early, so you can pick your seat.

greenscreened

Second Unit
Real Name
Bob
"If opportunity knocks and he's not home, opportunity waits."

By the time opportunity finally does knock at the front door of the person who’s been doing nothing but passively waiting for it for years, they’re usually in the back yard searching for four-leaf clovers.

greenscreened

Second Unit
Real Name
Bob
I had a cat that chewed the corner off my first pressing UK copy of the Let It Be LP. Not as much damage as you describe, but it hurt. It was one of those dooooh! moments.

If you're thinking of selling the album as-is, I can Dig It.
Between the Two Of Us though, you probably won't make a profit, but if you search all Across The Universe, I've Got A Feeling you may be lucky enough to at least Get Back what you paid for it.
I wouldn't buy an album in that condition, but Maggie Mae...(ooof)

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
Bob (@greenscreened ), if not for the fact that your posts display some genuine wit and humour (and a healthy Beatles nous), this might be the forum equivalent of toilet papering a thread.

Hope that in response, we might hear from its author, @Dr Griffin, who used to display his name as ‘Stanley’ before changing it and then disappearing altogether. I used to enjoy his posts - they painted a picture of him as a genuine and knowledgeable film buff and a gentleman to boot.

Ironically, one of his posts above mused about HTF members going missing, then so did he.

While we’re at it, @PMF where are you, old friend?

greenscreened

Second Unit
Real Name
Bob
this might be the forum equivalent of toilet papering a thread.
I don't quite understand what or who the this is referring to, RM.

I'm guessing that toilet papering a thread might refer to the sabotaging of it and/or the members in it, which was not my intention at all.

I thought I was responding to the posts (and users) in a playful way, as it seemed everyone else was in this thread.

These kind of thread titles, which start off as lighthearted and funny, sometimes tend to wander off into forbidden forum territory, and then end up getting closed, which is sad.

To it's advantage, this forum seems to be properly monitored, and those who may want to bend the rules, know the forums where those kind of posts are welcomed, and perhaps, even solicited.

If I unintentionally bent or broke some rules, I need to know.:thumbsup:

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
I don't quite understand what or who the this is referring to, RM.

I'm guessing that toilet papering a thread might refer to the sabotaging of it and/or the members in it, which was not my intention at all.

I thought I was responding to the posts (and users) in a playful way, as it seemed everyone else was in this thread.

These kind of thread titles, which start off as lighthearted and funny, sometimes tend to wander off into forbidden forum territory, and then end up getting closed, which is sad.

To it's advantage, this forum seems to be properly monitored, and those who may want to bend the rules, know the forums where those kind of posts are welcomed, and perhaps, even solicited.

If I unintentionally bent or broke some rules, I need to know.:thumbsup:
Nothing wrong with your posts, Bob. Anyhow, I’m just another member here, not a moderator, so feel welcome to ignore my comments.

Threads which I follow result in an email notification whenever a new post arrives. I received your first one, checked it out, then received another and so on, all in quick-fire succession. The fact that each of them was unrelated to the others, yet funny or insightful in its own way made me realise you were not trying to sabotage the thread, but were simply on a roll, hence my earlier comment.

I enjoyed your various posts, in particular the one about searching out back for four-leaf clover, while opportunity at the front door goes unanswered. Funny and profound.

I think it was thread author Stanley’s intention for this topic to be a free-for-all, so your posts are exactly in that spirit…and thanks for reviving a long dormant thread.

greenscreened

Second Unit
Real Name
Bob
Speaking of forks and spoons, some celebrity in the eighties had an expensive marching powder passion, but then went the rehab route.

He shared this when the interviewer made a comment that he had put on some extra weight recently, to which he replied, yup, when one finally puts down the spoon, they soon pick up the fork!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks