What's new

Random Movie Discussion #2: Seems Like Old Times (1 Viewer)

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Talk about forgotten favorites. I must have seen this one 15 times on my old top-loading VHS dinosaur. Chevy Chase back when he was funny, Goldie Hawn at her most charming and Charles Grodin offers a hysterical slow burn.
Neil Simon wrote the screenplay and Jay Sandrich (The Cosby Show) directed. Handfuls of cool character actors pop up like T.K. Carter, Harold Gould, Robert Guillaume and George Grizzard.
Aside from the mega-cutesy final 5 minutes, I'd call this one a true mini-classic. Any thoughts?
(Please feel free to draw comparisons between this one and the considerably more popular Chase/Hawn pairing known as Foul Play).
------------------
Scott
Check out my Movie Reviews at Epinions. Help support my debilitating DVD addiction!
AOL IM: TheAngryJew29

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
Funny, funny flick, just one of the pantheon of great Chevy Chase '80s movies...
Todd.
------------------
"He'll flip you, flip you for real."

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Very funny movie! It's been awhile since i've seen it though. Besides, Goldie Hawn was so hot in it!
yum.gif

Some days I just want to get down and thank her for giving us Kate Hudson too! Double
yum.gif
yum.gif
!
------------------
So madly in love with Estella Warren!

Rob Willey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rob
Hilarious flick! The chauffer, the maid, the dogs, very funny stuff. Foul Play was good, but Seems Like Old Times was a lot better.
The scene with Chevy Chase stuck under the bed when Charles Grodin walks in just fractures me. Even his hands were funny!
Rob
------------------
"That suits me down to the ground."

Charles Bober

Stunt Coordinator
I'm with ya Scott. SLOT is one of my favorite comedies of all-time, and IMHO Chevy Chases's finest film. The chemistry between Goldie & Chevy is reminiscent of William Holden/Myrna Loy from the Thin Man series and Cary Grant/Rosalind Russell from His Girl Friday. Charles Grodin turns in a fine performance in as the straight man. The one liners are fast and furious, the delivery flawless, the supporting cast excellent. I'm definitely a big fan of this flick
icon14.gif
icon14.gif
icon14.gif

I'd gladly buy this on DVD day and date of release.
------------------
DTS Laser Disc. Size Does Matter

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
I agree with everything said so far. I saw this film listed awhile back in an AP article discussing SNL failures and hits, and was pointed out as a Chase flop???
Sometimes you wonder, you know.
Anyway, obviously the guy had no clue as the film was and is rather popular, along with Foul Play. I love the film not only for it's many FUNNY moments (each of the 3 mains playing up to their strengths as well as they ever have), but also for it's sweetness. A goodness exudes from the film that makes it a very pleasant watch, rather than being mean-spirited humor.
The film is repeatable as hell, although not quite in the crazy laughs of a Ghostbusters or Holy Grail manner, but as a warm film with solid laughs AND some thoughtful characters and plot too.
And, yes, Chase and Hawn had tremendous chemistry together, another strength of SLOT and FP.

DustinDavis

Stunt Coordinator
"That the way it works, Chester?"
"Not in my neighborhood!"
laugh.gif

This movie is a classic.
------------------
Dustin A. Davis '94
Dustin Davis for Dummies : My HT : Link Removed
"But they are useless. They can only give you answers." - Pablo Picasso on computers

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks