Random Movie Discussion: 1980's "9 to 5"

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott Weinberg, Dec 18, 2001.

1. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

I caught the tail end of this one on Comedy Central last week, and tons of childhood memories flooded back. I must have seen this movie 8 times when I was a kid. I still think it's a damn funny flick. Parton's adorable, Tomlin is a hoot and Dabney Coleman is nothing short of perfect.

Thoughts?

2. Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer Lead Actor

Chuck Mayer
    I vaguely remember Dabney as being a complete sexist pig. I remember Dolly and Lily...who is the third abductor? A favorite of mine as a kid as well. My sisters and I loved watching it!

Take care,

Chuck

3. Scott Weinberg

The third was Jane Fonda!

4. Chris Lynch

Chris Lynch Stunt Coordinator

I absolutely loved this movie as a kid, I thought it was hilarious. My favorite part is when they smoke the joint and recite their revenge fantasies. Dolly's Cowgirl in the office bit is priceless!

5. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

This film stands next to Tootsie as a film that was highly successful at the time, but somehow got lost in it's own gimmicks in people's memories.

I found myself floored when watching Tootsie again when the DVD released. I had forgotten just how great a film it was, not just some lame drag gags.

9-5 is the same way. There is a tendancy to remember the song, Dolly, maybe the idea of revenge on the boss, but not how flat-out entertaining the film was the entire time.

It did a super job of fully utilizing the ensemble cast comdedy methods and is backed by solid performances from every character.

Plus something that seems to get rarer and rarer in H'wood lately...great dialog. I think a film of this calliber would stand out much more today against so many of it's type that are much flatter and truly do rely on a 1-shot gimmick.

6. Scott Weinberg

Well said, Seth. On the surface, this one certainly looks quite dated. Fortunately, the screenplay and the great performances never fade. This is a FUNNY flick!

7. Chris Lynch

Chris Lynch Stunt Coordinator

OOO, OOO, OOO!!
    Sorry, I guess these are spoilers, a little...
    And the part with the disneyish cartoon characters, during Lily's fantasy![​IMG] [​IMG]
    I'm laughing just thinking about it. Yes, Seth, very well put in your post. I agree.

8. JustinS

JustinS Agent

Chuck, Dabney's character was not a "sexist pig." He was a sexist, egotistical, lying, hypocritical bigot.
    [​IMG]