What's new

Random lock-ups during burning... (1 Viewer)

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
hey guys -

my pc (xp home) has begun to do something kinda strange. when i burn cd's, the system will suddenly lockup. it's a total lockup (number and caps lock won't work, etc) - i'm forced to used the reset switch.

it started doing it with cd creator, but now it's beginning to occur with cdex. so i don't think it's a software issue.

i've verified all my drivers are current, etc.

any guesses?

thx!

John Watson

Screenwriter
Possible problem? Well, I know I always hear we should defrag, and reboot, frequently. Which I do. And run nothing else when we are burning. And I used to burn at 4x, but now it fails, so I am only going at 2x.

But my CD writer is not very impressive, but I've just had a complete system freeze in the course of trying to burn a data disk. Absolutely no message from Nero or my computer about what went wrong..

Had to use reset button. reset, and am now trying to erase what presumably was on the disk, and if that succeeds, will reboot, and then try to burn the data again....

Whoops, forgot to reboot, but the burning has passed the 23% point at which everything froze.

And now, 15 or so minutes later, it seems to have worked....

But I remain convinced that this technology and these softwares are way short of being adequate for widespread use by non-technical people who need easy and reliable performance. No way I want a computer without an A drive!:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.