Ran out of digtal inputs. Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Will Galway, Nov 8, 2002.

1. Will Galway

Will Galway Auditioning

Equipment:
    SONY HT-5500DT (HT in a box) with the SONY STR-K84DP receiver.

My home theater setup was configured just how I wanted until last week when I switched over to digital cable.

With my receiver having 1 optical audio and 1 coax digital audio input, things WERE fine with my XBox (optical) and DVD (coax) hooked up.

Now that I got the digital cable, I now have a need for a third digital audio input.

Besides, "you should've bought a receiver with more inputs" (yes, I should have). Is there any sort of splitter that I could go with?

I was thinking possibly a digital coax splitter that, even if I had to have one of the two components turned off, that I could use it without physically hooking/unhooking cable every day.

I'm kinda new to the HT world and have been browsing through the archives of this board without much luck for my problem. I also check the FAQ first as well.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Will

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
  3. Will Galway

Will Galway Auditioning

Sorry for not supplying more info (my bad)...
    The DVD (don't have the model number in front of me, but the one that comes with the HT in a box, HT-5500) only has the one digital out, and it is coax.
    Either way- I believe I will still be short one connection without a splitter of some kind.
    [​IMG]
    Will

4. Will Galway

Will Galway Auditioning

Oh..... I see what you were saying now...
    Is there such a thing as this same adapter, but for digital coax?
    Cause that would work!
    [​IMG]
    Will

5. John Garcia

John
    sorry link didn't work - link
    I think you may find your answer here. They make coax to optical and optical to coax adapters, and then you can use the optical switch.

6. Will Galway

Will Galway Auditioning

John,

Excellent! Thanks for the info.. While it still baffles me that there is no such thing as a coax "switch", I will buy the coax to optical converter and then buy the optical switch.

That may just work out well too. My Xbox (optical) and Cable Box (coax, but soon to be optical) never need to be used at the same time!

Thanks again!

Will

7. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

whoa, I think there are coax switches. I thought radio shack sold them, just AV switchers. One could use those easily enough.

8. Will Galway

Will Galway Auditioning

Hmmm... So maybe you can clear something up for me... I would be able to just use a radio shack type "A/V switch" for an RCA cable for this? Is digital coax really just a shielded coax cable with RCA plugs on the end? Or am I wrong..

Will

9. John Garcia

John
    Yes, coaxial digital is a specific type of cable, not just an analog audio or composite video, though some A/V cables do meet the same spec and will work. However, I cannot honestly say whether or not a basic A/V switch will do the job without issue. I suppose you could just run down to Rat Shack, pick one up and try it out and return it if it doesn't work. If not, then the optical switch would be the next bet.

10. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

It was my understanding that they were the same thing. Isnt the "digital" interconnect just an identical 75 ohm cable as the audio? Granted Video is different, but I thought digital/analog used the same cables?

11. dougW

dougW Stunt Coordinator

Just be sure your using a composite video switcher, not audio. Audio would not be 75 ohms...

Lex

12. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Just buy any manual (non electric) A/V switcher. They start about $10. Most have 3 in/1 out, so you may need to get one more 75 ohm compatible cable.

Glenn

13. Bill Slack

Bill Slack Supporting Actor

I own a coax switch. And it's from radio shack -- it has f-connectors on it, so I just screwed on some adapters.
    It's an A/B switch with a remote. It seems to use mechanical relays too (it clicks) so it doesn't have any bandwidth issues I've ever noticed.
    For other connections I simply use a y-splitter, which cuts down your impedance, but it doesn't seem to cause any problems in my system (and I've been doing for a year or two.)
    There are also optical splliters, and as long as you only have 1 component turned on at a time, it works fine... and here there's no impedance to lose, so the signal just passes through unchanged. The folks at one store told me it wouldn't work, but it does... It's just a mirror, afterall...
    My system is hacked together in all sorts of crazy ways, but it all works nicely. [​IMG]

14. Will Galway

Will Galway Auditioning

Thanks for all of your suggestions with this everyone.. I knew there had to be a way to do this. I think a trip to Radio Shack is in order for me, this fine Saturday..

Hey Bill- about that remote control-switcher? How does that work? Do you have to hang on to a separate remote control just for that? Or did you manage to integrate it into a universal remote setup? Maybe as part of a macro maybe?

Thanks again for all of the help!!!

Will