ran ad-aware and found brilliant digital what is it?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by TonyD, Oct 3, 2002.

1. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    well i found that brilliantdigital thing and something that was called cydoor, and alexa, and a bunch of "other" things.

when i find things like this how do i know what to delete or keep.

at the details line these things have a bunch of letters and numbers but what does all that mean?

and what about the type line....d,f,k and v??

what do i delete?

2. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III
    are you using KaZaA? cydoor is spyware that comes prepackaged with the file sharing program. If you delete it KaZaA won't run. The way around this is to search the net for KaZaA lite. That program lets you use the file sharing without the spyware.

With the exception of cydoor lite I delete anything that adaware picks up. All that stuff is worthless.

3. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer

Almost all of those are usually programs from the adserving software included in much of the free software you download. most of it you can delete safely, but some programs (like Kazaa) will stop functioning if you do.

4. Andrew Chong

Andrew Chong Supporting Actor

Here's an excellent article on Browser Hijacking that is an easy read. By the way, you can get rid of Alexa; I did without any harm.
    For the rest, don't forget that Ad-aware allows you to backup suspect files and registry keys before you delete them.

5. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    i do use kazaa lite so that stuff mayhave been put there from the old version i had.

so since i have kaaza lite i should be able to delete cydoor.....right?

6. Brae

Brae Supporting Actor

brilliantdigital is denoted in the license agreement for KaZaa products. Few people actually read that license agreement and as a result are sometimes oblivious to this program being installed.

Although it gets installed, I do not think at this time their right to run it has be taken to call. If you attempt to remove it you may fnid the Kazaa Lite not able to work.

Hope this helps; have a good Friday!

7. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

Make sure if you use Kazaa lite you modify your hosts file also, or else the first time you connect it will install the spyware stuff without asking you.
    Put the following in your hosts file
    127.0.0.1 www.brilliantdigital.com
    127.0.0.1 desktop.kazaa.com
    127.0.0.1 shop.kazaa.com
    127.0.0.1 www.bonzi.com

8. Brae

Brae Supporting Actor

brilliantdigital is not Spyware. Its a program that uses unused CPU cycles for data processing in a distributed effort. Its not hidden, and it is clearly stated as being installed on your PC. In fact, one must accept the umbrella license agreement before Kazaa can be installed.
    What is really good at blocking these kinds of potential programs and in controlling the ads that are typical of Kazaa is to use something like Zone Alarm Professional. It can block/control cookies, outgoing program traffic, and slow and pop-up ads.
    I like to think a program can't get much out of your computer if its quarantined from the get-go. [​IMG]

9. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

10. Brae

Brae Supporting Actor

Mike, I cannot blame you. Having programs installed that you do not directly benefit from has its drawback. In this case, it is the person downloading and installing Kazaa that makes the conscious or unconscious decision to do so.

One could make analogy to installing Microsoft Windows and getting, even against one's will, Internet Explorer.

Cheers!