Rambo: Ultimate Edition - any reviews?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by John H Ross, Nov 20, 2004.

1. John H Ross

John H Ross Screenwriter

Artisan's "Rambo: Ultimate Edition" boxed set is out next week I believe. Has anybody spotted any reviews? I'm specifically interested to know if the Russian/English subtitles have been included on Rambo III (unlike the previous boxed set).

Thanks,

John

2. Michael Elliott

Michael Elliott Lead Actor

Michael Elliott
    I'm expecting my copy sometime next week and will get the review up ASAP.

3. John H Ross

John H Ross Screenwriter

Superb, thanks! Will look forward to it! :)

John

4. RogerH

RogerH Supporting Actor

I hope to get this one in the near future

5. Mark_TS

Mark_TS Screenwriter

the only one that stands out for me is FIRST BLOOD- and I have the last SE replacing the original release

6. Michael Elliott

Michael Elliott Lead Actor

Michael Elliott
    I just noticed that the release date is Tuesday. Sorry but it seems there won't be an early review. I might not get a copy for a couple weeks after the release date, which is usually the case with Lions Gate.

7. AnthonyL

AnthonyL Stunt Coordinator

I have the previous box set in 2002 and wondering if its worth getting. Are there any differences between this box set and the previous one?

8. John Kilduff

John Kilduff Screenwriter

ANOTHER RAMBO REISSUE?

They're nice flicks to watch with your brain off, but this is the 3rd go-round for them. Why can't Lions' Gate give the Special Edition treatment to Carolco titles that got screwed over on their initial DVD release ("Johnny Handsome", for example)?

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

Or is Lions' Gate's big thing to reissue every Schwarzenegger and Stallone flick over and over again?

9. Steve Christou

Steve Christou Long Member

Steve Christou
    My set should be here next week from dvd pacific, they've listed some extras, and what a weird bunch they are too.

Survival Mode: Enhance your Rambo experience with a suite of special ops playback upgrades:
    Early Warning System (EWS): Get advance notification of upcoming Survival Mode viewing enhancements
    MetaBrief: Access instant intelligence dossiers at critical moments in the film
    MetaScope: Scope out people, places and events as they occur in the movieMetaSight: Acquire enemies and objectives via laser-guided targeting
    MetaPoint: Track action with a picture-in-picture radar sweep of topography and terrain
    MetaMap: Dial in a 3-D on-screen satellite positioning map

Rambo: First Blood
    Sylvester Stallone Commentary
    Never-Before-Seen Alternate Ending

Rambo III
    Deleted Scenes

[​IMG]

10. Charlie O.

Charlie O. Supporting Actor

I wonder if we loss the DTS tacks?

11. BrandonJF

BrandonJF Second Unit

So far, it's looking like the DTS tracks are gone as well as other features from the previous set? All the films had commentaries on the last go-round.

I'll definitely pick up First Blood again for the Stallone commentary and alternate ending, but I have no idea what kind of content is included in "Survival Mode". I assume this is similar to New-Line's Infinifilm or any of the other "Follow the white rabbit" type of extras that are accessible while viewing the film. I guess the main gimmicky difference will be that there are actual hot spots on the film image that link to different supplements?

Right now, the specs make it sound like a videogame and don't do a great job at helping me decide whether or not to buy these movies for the third time.

No matter what, though, it doesn't sound like I'll be parting with the current versions unless the commetaries and DTS tracks show up on these.

12. BrandonJF

BrandonJF Second Unit

The Rambo DVD website had a clip that contained a couple minutes of Stallone commentary and an example of the Survival Mode feature.

What they showed of the Survival Mode looked incredibly lame, in my opinion. The "Early Warning System" seemed to simply be a countdown to when the next survival "feature" would play.

What was shown appeared to be what they call "MetaMap". The movie started playing in a small window and a 3D map of the terrain displayed below with a couple of dots representing Rambo and I suppose someone chasing him.

Granted, I don't know if the other "Meta" features are more substantive than that one, but I think I'll end up taking the Ultimate collection back and just pick up First Blood for the commentary and alternate ending.

Although, I still wonder how many deleted scenes are on the Rambo III disc...

13. Gary Nash

Gary Nash Agent

I've received this last weekend and have had a quick scan through these discs and could live without the meta functions - they seem a bit too gimmicy - I'd rather have a few documentaries. You have the option to playback the movies without this feature, and can view all the meta segments directly if you wish.

The only trouble is that in squashing all this extra guff onto the discs, they've made the layer changes really noticeable - there is a distinct pause which indicates these may not be reverse spiral, but dual spiral (maybe the 2nd layer starts from the hub rather than outer edge).

Picture quality looks good on all, no chance to compare with prior releases.
    My amp is out of commission, so I can't check the soundtracks.

Some other points to note:
    Definitely no DTS, but Rambo does include an audio commentary by the director (which isn't mentioned on the cover blurb).
    Rambo III does include burnt-in subtitles for the Russian dialogue.
    The packaging is a bit OTT. I don't see why studios have individual slip covers which are exactly the same as the amaray wrap around sheet - surely this is an opportunity to have a slip case with the 'new cover style', then try a different design on the amray case (hey, why not the original theatrical poster art?!).

I'll leave it to those with systems up and running to fill you in on picture/audio quality.

14. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

Were the first Special Edition releases all 2-disc sets?

Video Universe lists First Blood and Pt. III as both being 2-disc sets.

If that's the case, are the discs seperated by a.r. transfers or by special features?

If I could get the additonal commentary tracks not ported over to these new editions along with the DTS audio on single discs, I would pick up the older versions as well and do a little frankenstein work on the "Ultimate" set to justify the title branding... if the documentaries were on the same side, that would be really great!

Actually... what's the point of buying these "Ultimate Editions" anyway if we lose the documentaries and dts tracks... for a Stallone commentary?

Is it known yet whether the 3 documentaries featured on the Special Editions have definitely been dropped for all this new metawhatever crap?

Also, has anyone seen this R3/NTSC box-set, it seems to have some exclusive bonus features not seen on any of the R1 releases to date...

http://dvdheaven.com/list_detail.php?g_cat02=1&idx=120

15. BrandonJF

BrandonJF Second Unit

The last special edition set included one bonus disc of supplements. There weren't two discs per title - at least, not in R1, as far as I know. The original releases weren't 2 disc sets, either.

They removed alot of stuff for this "ultimate" release, unless another commentary isn't the only unadvertised feature.

However, I don't see any mention of deleted scenes for Rambo III on the previous set. And then there's the fact that Gary points out the Russian subtitles are back... grrrrr... It's sad that that has to be considered a bonus for this set. That's pretty much the only flaw with the previous one.

Gary, if you get a chance, can you scope out (or "meta" scope out) the Rambo III deleted scenes and see how many there are?

16. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch

I think they went to two discs on the reprice, the copies you could pick up at Wal-Mart in the $5.50 bin instead of DVD-18 which is more expensive to produce.

17. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

How were the 2-discs packaged Chad?

Did each title recieve this treatment?

Also, can someone please post a definitive listing of all features or extras missing from this new set in comparison with the Special Editions?

I know there was an audio commentary and documentary offered per film / disc (?) and dts tracks to boot... but was there anything else we've lost since the "upgrade"?

I take it the deleted scenes are new/exclusive to this "Ultimate Edition"?

18. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

To clarify... how is the content arranged?

Feature film w/ commentary + dts on disc one, special features - extras on disc two?

or widescreen + commentary - dts and/or extras on disc one and fullframe + whatever else on disc two?

19. BrandonJF

BrandonJF Second Unit

I saw the most detailed list of the features at the Barnes and Noble site - http://video.barnesandnoble.com/sear...68980&VIEW=MNU

Looks like they have kept the commentary on Rambo III? Although, it's the only one that they don't list a participant for. 8 deleted scenes may be worth it for me...

There is also a detailed listing of all the "meta" features. They still sound lame.

20. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch
    The one I got from Wal-Mart had Widescreen on disc 1, fullscreen on disc 2. So, when the webstie said 2 disc, that's all they were referring to, not an more elaborate special edition.