Rambo Trilogy DTS track not working properly

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Evan Mann, Jun 22, 2002.

1. Evan Mann

Evan Mann Agent

Hope this is the right forum, but I just purchased the Rambo Trilogy and I'm playing it through a Sony S330 DVD player into a Denon AVR-2800. I know all 5.1 of my speakers are working, the little DTS test track that plays before the movie does goes through all my speakers, but it seems the entire FIRST LOOD movie so far isn't playing anything through the rear speakers, and possibly anything u tht ecenter channel. Any advice?

2. Britton

Britton Supporting Actor

The only thing I can think of is if there is nothing coming from the center or rear channels, your receiver must be set to Stereo Mode. That is, except if you have a bad disc.

3. Luis S

Luis S Supporting Actor

You think thats bad I cant even play First Blood Pt.II past the part where he sets the p.o.w's free!Have you had this probem as well?let me know please.
    Thanks,
    Luis S

4. Randy B A

Randy B A Supporting Actor

all 3 of mine played with no problem on denon 4800 going to denon 4802. check and see if your A-B speaker button was pushed. this happened at my GF's parents house.

5. Ken Bentley

Ken Bentley Second Unit

mine also played with no prob. and i am using a KLH dvd player. it does sound like a bad disc...though

6. Evan Mann

Evan Mann Agent

Update.

Watched all 3 movies with DTS tracks yesterday.

Did some close listening to my rear speakers. The rear channels (as well as front L/R and sub) were working, but I noticed that volumes from those increased through each disc.

In Rambo I, effects were barely audible in rear channels, in Rambo II, they were a little better, and now the fronts/subs sounded like they should. In Rambo III, front stage and LFE was just as in Rambo II but the rears were mroe audible and you could actually tell there was surround sound effects being produced.

So my disks work, and the DVD player is working.

At this point I think it may be an issue with my individual speaker volumes. I havn't recalibrated them since I got them, and I also moved in the process. So I have to pull out AVIA and my SPL meter and re-check. Hopefully that will help.

7. Joe RZ

Joe RZ Stunt Coordinator

Watched First Blood in DTS no problems.

8. Dave Kalloch

Dave Kalloch Stunt Coordinator

Didn't Ron's recent review of the box set address the lack of surround usage on the first two Rambo movies? Seems the problem lies in the DVD's.

9. Chet_F

Chet_F Supporting Actor

Yea, I didn't notice much but then I don't pay that close attention to the surrounds most of the time.

10. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

I don't think the dvd's are faulty. They are just old movies and there isn't a lot of surround action in them, especially in First Blood.