Rambo trilogy coming back on DVD with a fixed 3rd part???

Discussion in 'DVD' started by EnricoE, Jun 15, 2004.

1. EnricoE

EnricoE Supporting Actor

i do have the first release of the rambo trilogy which had the old laserdisc master and part 3 with english subs when russian is spoken. as you know artisan released a new edition from a new masters including dolby digital 5.1 and dts audio. i didn't get it since this new release of part 3 missed the subs (no burned in or dvd player generated ones). now this set is oop and i wonder if artisan is preparing a new edition of the rambo trilogy complete with complete english subtitles on all 3 parts and a fixed 3rd part. does anyone know something???

2. EnricoE

EnricoE Supporting Actor

i do have the first release of the rambo trilogy which had the old laserdisc master and part 3 with english subs when russian is spoken. as you know artisan released a new edition from a new masters including dolby digital 5.1 and dts audio. i didn't get it since this new release of part 3 missed the subs (no burned in or dvd player generated ones). now this set is oop and i wonder if artisan is preparing a new edition of the rambo trilogy complete with complete english subtitles on all 3 parts and a fixed 3rd part. does anyone know something???

3. Harold Wazzu

Harold Wazzu Supporting Actor

I bet the last released version will be their last. I never even noticed the missing subtitles. I certainly don't think them missing warrants re-releasing the whole set again.

4. Harold Wazzu

Harold Wazzu Supporting Actor

I bet the last released version will be their last. I never even noticed the missing subtitles. I certainly don't think them missing warrants re-releasing the whole set again.

5. Bryan Tuck

Bryan Tuck Screenwriter

Bryan Tuck
    It should still warrant a corrected Rambo III disc. Even MGM did that for the subless Bond discs; they were player-generated, but at least they made an effort to fix it.

Artisan doesn't seem to care; their Reservoir Dogs SE is riddled with problems, and I don't think there's been any word from them on it, either.

6. Bryan Tuck

Bryan Tuck Screenwriter

Bryan Tuck
    It should still warrant a corrected Rambo III disc. Even MGM did that for the subless Bond discs; they were player-generated, but at least they made an effort to fix it.

Artisan doesn't seem to care; their Reservoir Dogs SE is riddled with problems, and I don't think there's been any word from them on it, either.

7. Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette Cinematographer

The new box set and individual releases appear to be OOP. Is this the case? If so, I completely missed the advanced warning, if there was any. [​IMG]

For what it's worth, I feel a corrected Rambo III disc is in order as well. Not only did MGM do it for Bond, but another Stallone movie, Rocky IV.

C'mon Artisian....

8. Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette Cinematographer

The new box set and individual releases appear to be OOP. Is this the case? If so, I completely missed the advanced warning, if there was any. [​IMG]

For what it's worth, I feel a corrected Rambo III disc is in order as well. Not only did MGM do it for Bond, but another Stallone movie, Rocky IV.

C'mon Artisian....

9. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    it was just in this past weeks video busines, there will be a new set released before the end of the year
    (nov 23 19.98) with "something special added."

lions gate, "we found footage from the first movie were rambo actually kills himself."

"we looked through the boxes of reels and found a 5 minute scene where it happens." said Anne parducci, a vp at lions gate.
    she goes an to prove she is the master of the obvious by saying...

"had they chosen to use it origionally, it would have effected the rest of the movies."

10. Haden

Haden Supporting Actor

Whoa! That's the original ending they filmed for First Blood. However, Rambo didn't kill himself... Trautman killed him inside the police station. That's the ending that was in the book. The author of the book discusses that original ending on the commentary track and there's some still photos in the documentary showing the original ending. If they've really found the allegedly lost footage of this original ending and plan to include it on a new DVD release, then I'll definitely be double dipping for First Blood.

11. EnricoE

EnricoE Supporting Actor

wow, that's a good news [​IMG] now they need to redo the transfers for todays standards and fix the subs in part 3 and some better looking trailers would be cool too. if they can manage that i put my on the counter [​IMG]

12. PaulP

PaulP Producer

13. PaulP

PaulP Producer

And we've got covers:

[​IMG] Rambo Trilogy UE

No cover yet for Part 1, but here are Parts 2 and 3:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

DVDPlanet lists deleted scenes and commentaries on each disc.

14. Shawn_KE

Shawn_KE Screenwriter

Glad I held out [​IMG]

15. PaulP

PaulP Producer

Yes, I'm happy I didn't get the previous version as well. I didn't pick it up knowing it had subtitle problems.

DVDEmpire also lists the following extras:

DTS is being dropped, apparently, or it's not mentioned. Also there were several featurettes on an exclusive fourth disc in the previous release, so it'll be interesting if this Ultimate Edition really will be "ultimate".

16. PaulP

PaulP Producer

So it's popping up everywhere for preorder. So far DDD has the best price on it, but their free shipping option can be a pain in the ass a lot of the time.

Other stores have it for preorder. I'm hoping for some STL on Amazon on it, personally.

$26.99 - DeepDiscountDVD
    $31.49 - Amazon ($28.34 after STL)
    $31.47 - DVDPlanet
    $33.73 - DVDEmpire

17. SteveCallas

SteveCallas Second Unit

Will these have new transfers? I have all 3 in the special edition 2 disc sets with DTS and I doubt they can squeeze much more out of the picture quality than what they have already. Also, if the DTS is dropped, are they using the existing DD or new DD tracks?

18. David Dias

David Dias Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for those etailer links PaulP.

I'm curious to see if these will have better transfers and the same extras as the previous Rambo trilogy set which I already own, otherwise I'll just hold on to what I have.

And would it have killed them to use the original poster art for the DVD covers?

19. PaulP

PaulP Producer

I actually like the new covers. What were the theatrical posters?

20. Haden

Haden Supporting Actor

I suspect that the extras (or some of the extras) from the original DVD releases won't be included on these new versions. Specifically the audio commentary for First Blood by the novel author David Morrell, which is a very good commentary worth keeping. I guess I'll have to hold onto the original DVD if this commentary isn't going to be on the new one. Probably the same for Rambo too if there's not going to be a director's commentary by George Cosmatos on it like with the original.