What's new

Rambo IV gets the green light (1 Viewer)

Kain_C

Screenwriter
White Supremacists? Why not just have Rambo fight cybernetic Nazis from outer space? It would be nearly as believeable and shove about the same extreme level of villainy down our throats.

Stupid idea.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I'll always cherish the hours I spent watching the Rambo movies when I was a kid...but there is no way that I'm going to see this ;)

I think that's the plan for Rambo V :D

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Welp, they've got balls for trying this now, i'll give them that. Agreed that this is stupid, the days of that type of action film have long since past, I loved them and still love them and the days when they were in their prime, but they just won't work now.

These films aren't like Die Hard where they could concievably come up with a story that would be interesting and modernized, audiences expect certai staples with Rambo...

1. He eventually gets shirtless and sweaty.

2. He have his trademark Bowie knife.

3. He wipes out an entire army while only getting some minor flesh wounds himself.

and

4. He, in the end, gives a big patriotic speech before slowly walking off into the sunset.

All of those elements are tired now i'm sorry to say, and a Rambo film without them will be unacceptable.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
"Viet-Nam vet and former POW goes on yet another killing spree. AARP spokesperson refuses comment. news at 11"

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter
As much as Stallone seems to be a thoroughly decent guy in interviews and such, his ability to get meatier roles must be nonexistent if he has to fall back on tripe like this. The article does mention an interesting project for him, though: directing a biopic of Edgar Allen Poe before production on Rambo IV starts...

I feel bad for the guy being pigeonholed into the "muscle star" category, and hope that the Poe project opens doors that should've been opened after Copland.

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale

Interesting that in his [Stallone's] recent appearance on 'Las Vegas' he kept repeating "I don't want to be thought of as only the muscle" when referring to the character's CIA background.

Paul Sandhu

Supporting Actor
I think it will be interesting. Although I haven't seen any of the Rambo movies, it seems like a movie to pay homage to a genre long forgotten since the 80s.

Chuck Norris should come back and do a Delta Force movie too.

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
The first Rambo was really good. BTW, Stallone could be taken seriously as something other than muscle, but he's lost the eye of the tiger. He's a rich man with lots of commitment, but he's lacking passion and vision. Studios have made a lot of money off him in the past, and they'd at least hear him out if he really had something worthwhile to pitch, as opposed to something gimmicky. What do I mean by gimmicky? Well, any pitch that starts out with, "Wouldn't it be cool if..." This is not the same guy who sat and wrote Rocky, then dedicated his life to seeing it made. Stallone is doing Rambo and Rocky movies because he doesn't have to do as much of a sell job to the studios. He also doesn't have to invest as much in learning and inhabiting the characters, because he already knows them. I don't like to see Hollywood chew them up and spit them out, but in the case of Stallone, I think his rewards are just about what his talents merit.

If Stallone sits and talks to the right people, he will figure out what he is today, and what type of movies he should be in. Then he will write or find those vehicles. If they're good and not too expensive (he may need to take back-end points instead of all up-front money), studios may take a bit of a risk with him. If he touches the public, they'll come see him.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
I couldn't take another Rambo Movie, First Blood, good I actually like the second one with the POWs, but the third one was so off beat though out of the complete set, Rambo III look and sound the best, but anyway no more Sly, let it die... :thumbsdown:

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
It's his own fault, though - his career over the past ten-odd years has seemed to be a cycle of doing something good and unexpected to get noticed again, then wasting his new credibility by signing for a couple of rotten action movies.

I like the guy, and I think if he decided he wasn't going to do an action movie ever again, or at least that he wouldn't take anything less than an excellent script, he'd get a lot more respect. If he wants to get on the Clint Eastwood career track, best of luck, but he's got to stick with it, and not jump off as soon as someone offers him a couple million for a random action movie.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member

No way, i hope he holds out for Gen. Tomahawk in a live-action G.I.Joe movie. Sylvester Stallone can play COBRA villain Crocmaster. Jim Carrey has to play the part of Dr. Mindbender.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
IMO he should do a sequel to Demolition Man, I always wanted to see a sequel to that one. Also, why wasn't there ever a Tango & Cash 2? I really love that movie.

Jason,
I know what you mean about him doing something different and then blowing it with his next film. He goes and does a great film like Copland only to go on to do drivel like Driven. Hey, drivel driven, try saying that 5 times really fast! ;)

Scott McGillivray

Supporting Actor
Geepers...another Rambo? Like others have said, when Sly is interviewed, he really does seem like an intelligent fellow. So why, oh why, does he take on such projects? Quick cash? Perhaps...but does he really need more money?

I just keep thinking if I had his fame and money (and looks...I'll admit it!) there would be so many cool projects that I could develop. I sure would not go back and dip into the old well of the 80's action flick.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks