Rambling Rose....f u l l frame...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Henry Gale, Apr 24, 2002.

1. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

Saw this Laura Dern/Robert Duvall movie for $9.95 in Tower Records yesterday. I had passed on the LD versions years ago, even the one with extra scenes. A wide screen DVD was released in 1999. But 9.95 seemed irresistable and I was distracted by the Last Waltz box set that I was really there to pick up.
    Not 'til I was on the way home, unwrapping the security tape, did I grasp the real significance of the two little aspect ratio screens on the back cover. [​IMG] At first glance I thought they meant both version were on the disc.
    I blame myself for the carelessness, but, why DID they put out a new pan & scam version of this?

2. Aryn Leroux

Aryn Leroux Screenwriter

That is strange indeed i rented rambling rose about a year back and it definately was 16x9. Perhaps another studio trying to slip some p&s out there under our noses ?

3. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn
  4. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

Thanks Glenn...that's a part of the forum I never get to.

The new release of Rambling Rose is a dream come true for J6P...no other languages are offered and there are no subtitles.

I feel dirty and used.:b

Jim

5. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

This one angers me to no end. So, exactly how is Rambling Rose a better fit for Joe and his kin? Is it a family film? Does he even know who Laura Dern is? I mean, the previous release was widescreen, this is a complete step backwards. [​IMG]

6. Mike Friedrich

Mike Friedrich Stunt Coordinator

Is the RR SE out of print ?

7. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

Damn!!!!!This DVD is being shipped to me as I speak. I never had a high opinion of Artisan, and this drops them down another even further. Another DVD I will have to return.

8. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

9. PatrickL

PatrickL Second Unit

A few e-tailers have listed the specs for the old edition for this new p&s version. Hopefully they'll be a lot of returns.

10. Jeff Swindoll

Jeff Swindoll Supporting Actor

[​IMG] This really irks me since I ordered both Rambling Rose and and Mountains of the Moon based on the specs listed in the Image database. They list RR as a SE and 16x9 letterboxed!! Any reports on Mountains of the Moon?? It really pisses me off when Image's database is incorrect. You'd think of all people, they'd have the right specs. Grrrrrrr [​IMG]

11. Cynthia

Cynthia Stunt Coordinator

The new release of Mountains of the Moon is also full frame. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Cynthia

Cynthia Stunt Coordinator

By the way, does anyone have the contact information for Artisan? I'd like to write/call and let them know they lost my sale on quite a few of yesterday's releases.

13. PatB

PatB Stunt Coordinator

Artisan is another big company that is actually helping to ruin the DVD format. I actually get angered when I flip over a DVD and see the words "Full Screen". It's getting so I don't look forward to release info about movies that I want to get, but actually dread it sometimes because of the ever growing possibility of "Full Screen" presentations.

I think a petition is in order b/c Artisan is going to continue this if we don't take some action. And we know we can do something.

14. Will K

Will K Screenwriter

Thanks for the heads-up on this. I love this movie but I won't be purchasing some full-frame mess. Artisan has already pissed me off with a full frame only Sleepless. I swear, this just keeps getting better and better.[​IMG]

15. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    From the Artisan Entertainment web site:

Artisan Pictures, Inc.

2700 Colorado Avenue

Santa Monica, CA 90404

(310) 449-9200

--Steve Beeks, President, Home Entertainment

--Glenn Ross, President, Family Home Entertainment; Executive Vice President, Home Entertainment

--Jeffrey Fink, President, Sales and Marketing, Home Entertainment

--Tim Fournier Executive Vice President, Retail & Brand Development, Home Entertainment

--Jed Grossman Executive Vice President, Sales and Distribution, Home Entertainment

I think email addresses are the usual first initial, last name "@artisanent.com"

16. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

And then they have the nerve to list it in SPECIAL FEATURES, like that really makes it SPECIAL.

17. Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty Cinematographer

The Mountains of the Moon reissue really chaps my hide. I was looking forward for a new 16x9 transfer to retire my old LD; fortunately, the image on that is still pretty good.

Artisan makes no sense-- I bought their reissue of After Dark My Sweet with its gorgeous 16x9 2:35:1 transfer after selling my old P&S Pioneer disc and was hoping that they had rid themselves of their old ways; apparently not, it seems.

18. Jeff Swindoll

Jeff Swindoll Supporting Actor

FYI, you may want to check your FYE store. I was in Dallas this weekend and found both the older letterbox SEs of Mountains and Rose in the FYE in the Galleria mall. I'd rather have the non-anamorphic SE DVD than the foolscreen version [​IMG]. The beauty is that they were both $7.99 [​IMG] and I was paying $9.90 apiece for the new version I sent back to DDD.

19. Thomas T

Thomas T Producer

I noticed also that Artisan has apparently retired their wide screen Sophia Loren-Burt Lancaster 70's disaster flick Cassandra Crossing and reissued a pan and scan only disc.

20. Mike Friedrich

Mike Friedrich Stunt Coordinator

Artisan is going to have a record Dvd sales slump this year.
    bodymov'n [​IMG]