What's new

RAM Upgrade Questions (1 Viewer)

Brian_Wh

Agent
Real Name
Brian
I'll be adding 512MB of RAM to our eMac tonight (which came with 256MB). I'm hoping for some decent gains in overall speed and multi-tasking. My questions are these:

1.) We're still on dial-up. Will I see any (even if only small) improvement in page loading or download speeds after adding the RAM? I realize of course, that making the switch to high speed service will make the biggest difference.

2.) Will upping the RAM increase the speed of importing CD's into my iTunes library or of burning CD's?

Thanks...

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
i doubt you will see a jump in performance in either of those categories by adding more ram.

CJ

Jeff Blair

Second Unit
I don't think that it will help with the dial-up speeds. As for burning CD's it will help with Buffer Underunns. Importing music into iTunes depends on how it uses the memory.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
it may help, but remember he has 256 mb now, plenty of ram to not have to worry about buffer underruns because of ram.

CJ

Brian_Wh

Agent
Real Name
Brian
Thanks for the replies guys! That's what I figured, but thought I'd ask. Installed the RAM last night -very easy to do - now I have 768MB of RAM!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks