RAM Type Question.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by PatB, Sep 10, 2002.

1. PatB

PatB Stunt Coordinator

I just read on CNET that "P4 systems based on Synchronous DRAM (SDRAM) don't perform nearly as well as their RDRAM counterparts". The system that I was just about to buy has 256 MB of DDR RAM. Is DDR RAM ideal for a P4 CPU or will I run into the same problems that you find with SDRAM? Is DDR Ram just a faster version of SD Ram or a different type altogether?
    Should I go with RD Ram? Is anyone using a P4 and if so what kind of Ram are you using and what is the performance like?

2. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

DDR memory with P4's benchmarks slower than RDRAM. Will you see a noticable difference? Probably not. RDRAM historically is more expensive that DDR memory also, but ram prices change every week or so.

3. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

4. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i think most people will agree that rdram is better performing (at least on the test bench), but because it is so much more expensive, it's not worth the cost.

i'm running ddr266/pc2100 memory in my 2.53 p4 and i'm totaly happy.

5. PatB

PatB Stunt Coordinator

Just curious Ted, I'm still learning some of this stuff, what does the numbers 266 as in DDR 266 mean. Also, could you explain the PC 2100 in terms of what those things mean and how they affect performance. I'm looking at a modest system with a P4 1.6, with 256 MB of DDR Ram. Any ideas what numbers should go with that in terms of RAM? Thanks all for the input, I'm laying down some money for a new system, and I just want to make sure I'm getting components that are all going to gel together.

6. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

pat -
    i'm still a little grey on that whole thing myself. here's how i think it works:
    essentially, those numbers represent how fast the memory works. the 266 is in mhz, so that means the memory runs at 266mhz. since it's ddr (double data rate???) then that memory works both ways, effectively doubling the speed up to 533. so the logic would be that a 333 memory module would be even better...right? well, there's the whole point of no return thing to consider.
    i don't recall how the 2100 number works...hopefully someone else can chime in?
    also, read the first few posts of this thread which i posted a while ago:
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=90202
    essentially, 266 memory should be "enough" for you unless you're doing running some hard-core apps. even in my 2.53 i'm very happy with it's performance. i suspect a 1.6 should pose no problems either.
    also, some sites that i found VERY useful when building my pc were:
    http://www.tomshardware.com
    http://www.anandtech.com
    http://www.motherboards.org
    be sure to check them out.
    ted

7. PatB

PatB Stunt Coordinator

Thanks again, that's exactly the type of site I've been looking for. I figure the more I know before I but the better, the PC is a special but I can add specific components or upgrades for a little more. Here's one I found for you too if you're interested:
    http://www.ddr-memory.com/

8. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

Pat also check to make sure that you are ordering a 400/533mhz motherboard so that is upgradeable to the newest/fastest chips that Intel will be producing. You can get these motherboards for pretty much the same cost so there is no reason to buy just a 400mhz.

The ram there is

PC1600 DDR 200mhz
    PC2100 DDR 266mhz
    PC2700 DDR 333mhz
    PC3200 DDR 400mhz ram (On the new motherboards and more expensive right now SIS648 & other chipsets)

RAMBUS PC600 Almost non-existent anymore
    RAMBUS PC800 Standard for the P4 850 chipsets
    RAMBUS PC1066 Not fully supported but has much higher bandwidth then PC800.

RAMBUS will run you roughly double what PC2700 will and you will not see double the performance increase and the 850 chipsets are slightly more expensive then the 845 DDR boards. Your best bet would be to get a board that supports PC2700 and is 400/533mhz compatible.

KyleS

9. PatB

PatB Stunt Coordinator

Kyle, it's an Aopen MX46 mobo, on the website the CPU bus clock is 400/533 which I assume means that it's 533 overclocked.
    I'm going with Samsung 256 MB DDR Ram. That seems like it'll be enough, I'm sticking with Win 98, and that's all I can afford right now.
    One other thing if anyone can answer or has had experience, the AOPEN Mobo has the sound and video integrated, I'm going to use my old sound card but will the fact that it had this integrated hardware make any serious difference in overall performance? Like I've said, I'm not really looking at this as a gaming machine, more as an internet/music/movie (meaning steaming video, movie trailers etc. not DVD) machine.

10. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

Its not overclocked to 533 but if you have a 533FSB chip then it will increase the performance. Earlier you said that you are looking at a 1.6ghz which is a 400fsb. The 533fsb chips start at a 2.26ghz and up but If/When you decide to upgrade the board can handle the faster processors out there. Samsung is a good brand of ram and what I use so you cant go wrong there. The onboard sound and video can either be disabled manually on the motherboard through resetting a jumper, in the BIOS (most likely) or it will shut itself off when it detects the PCI sound card. It shouldnt in anyway hinder performance as long as they dont conflict with one another.

KyleS

11. PatB

PatB Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Kyle, what I meant about the onboard video card not performing was that I was concerned that I would have to upgrade it right away (much to my wallets' regret) if it wasn't up to performing my day to day needs. I don't have any experience with onboard peripherals so I'm a little curious (ok concerned) if it's just better to go with a whole different MB and a separate Video card. I can't really afford it right now, but if the existing one turns out to be useless I suppose I'll have to do it eventually anyways.

12. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

pat -

i'm not familiar with your board, but since it's new (correct?) then it's on-board video should be fine. as long as you're not playing any hi-res games or anything like that...

13. PatB

PatB Stunt Coordinator

I think that you may be right. I'm not going to be doing gaming really, I already have a PS2, and from the specs that I found it looks like I should be alright.
    http://www.powerspec.com/systems/sys...selection=8330
    Someone sent me this link which shows the chipset of the MOBO and it looks like it's AGP 4X compatible and that's what I've been told to look for.
    So thanks again.

14. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

Sorry for the confusion Pat but you should be just fine with the onboard video since it is a new board. It will play all the games that are out on the market just fine but of course a Gforce3 or 4 card would scream by it but unless you do a lot of gaming or CAD design you most likely will not miss it. Then in the future if you ever want to upgrade the video card you simply need to buy one and install it.

KyleS

15. PatB

PatB Stunt Coordinator

Not much gaming for me, but thanks for the input. It's taken a while but I'm getting that much closer to making the final decision and FINALLY upgrading this old thing.