Ram question: help!

Discussion in 'Computers' started by chris rick, Nov 18, 2004.

1. chris rick

chris rick Second Unit

I am looking at getting RAM for my pc, which I have posted here before about. I have a DELL DIMENSION 8200 and I know which RAM I have to get, but I am wondering what difference it will make if I upgrade to ECC vs. NON-ECC RAM. Dell's website calls for NON-ECC RAM for my pc, but I am hearing I could put in ECC and it wouldn't really make a difference. I currently have 256 (2X128 and 2 CRIMMS) and I want to go to two 512 sticks and move the 2 128 sticks to where the CRIMMS are currently. Could I get ECC for my dell and do it this way, or do I need to go with non-ecc? Anyone have any ideas/explanations? Thanks!

2. chris rick

chris rick Second Unit

Anyone?

3. Aaron Gould

Aaron Gould Stunt Coordinator

Aaron Gould
    Non-ECC is really all you need for a standard desktop PC.

ECC ram is primarily for use in servers. ECC (Error Correcting Code) helps stabilize memory operations, and thus enhances the stability of the system in which it is installed.

If your system supports ECC, you don't mind the higher cost, and some added stability is absolutely vital -- get ECC.

Personally, I can't justify ECC for my home PC. I just buy decent brands of standard non-ECC RAM. Haven't been disappointed yet.

4. Mike Fassler

Mike Fassler Supporting Actor

yeah you dont need ECC ram, for the price of ECC ram, you could get alot more non ecc and your system will be happy [​IMG]

5. chris rick

chris rick Second Unit

NON ECC Ram seems to be hard to find, especially on ebay. How much is a good price for a gig of this for my pc? I'm looking around and I can find no lower than around 420 total for a gig of non-ecc. Anyone?

6. Aaron Gould

Aaron Gould
    Non-ECC RAM is the most common type. Pretty much every store carries the DDR SDRAM variety.

Do you know what type of RAM your PC uses? It'll likely either be DDR SDRAM or Rambus. (I'm not familiar with the Dimension 8200.)

7. chris rick

chris rick Second Unit

It is PC800 and as far as I know, it is very expensive compared to stuff you can get at Best Buy, etc.

8. Aaron Gould

Aaron Gould
    Ok... unfortanately, Rambus fell out of favour with just about all the PC manufacturers (due to its high cost, among other things). As a result, it's getting far more difficult to find.

Yeah, you'll definitely want the non-ECC since ECC RDRAM is around double the Non-ECC equivalent.

As for pricing, I found a place up here in Canada (ncix.com) that sells 512MB PC800 RDRAM for $231 CDN (~190 USD). So I think around $380-400 USD for a gigabyte would be expected.