RAM Confusion

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jereme D, Oct 1, 2002.

1. Jereme D

Jereme D Stunt Coordinator

I ordered some RAM from this site: http://www.buyaib.com/25fornotlifw.html but ordered the wrong kind. I bought the one in the left column.
    I think this: 32mbx8 chips, and this: 16mbx8 chips, are where I went wrong.
    I thought that they represent 32 megs in 8 chips on the stick for example, but the 16x8 would only be 128 megs. All three columns are supposed to be 256 megs though.
    How do I find out the details on what exactly I have? I checked out crucial, but it only tells basic stuff and their RAM is expensive.

2. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

All I can say Jereme is that if you think that Crucial is expensive then I would love to know where you are shopping since they usually give pretty darn good deals especially when you factor in the free shipping (Unless you are a wholesaler and can buy it that way. [​IMG]
    You should be able to find out exactly what ram you need by looking at the motherboards website. A lot of times until recent chips came out you could tell simply by what type of chip you were running (Pentium, Pentium MMX, Pentium II/III, etc). Now with DDR & Rambus(& multiple types at that) it gets a lot harder.
    KyleS

3. Jereme D

Jereme D Stunt Coordinator

I was looking at pricewatch for the comparison.

I know what kind of ram I need minus the 32x8 and 16x8 thing. I guess I'll have to open up the laptop to try to locate the motherboard model. :-/

4. Dave Sabo

Dave Sabo Stunt Coordinator

Jereme,
    I'd suggest trying a place like 1-800-4-Memory. If you call them and give them your brand and model # of the laptop (no need to check motherboard) they should be able to tell you exactly the type of memory you need.
    They are fairly local to me and I have dealt with them on occasion for many years. They have decent prices as well and even buy used memory.
    Hope this helps. And no, I do not work for them... I've just never had a bad experience with them.

5. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter