What's new

Disney's Ralph Breaks the Internet (2018)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Title: Disney's Ralph Breaks the Internet

Genre: Family

Director: Rich Moore, Phil Johnston

Cast: John C. Reilly, Sarah Silverman, Gal Gadot, Taraji P. Henson, Jack McBrayer, Jane Lynch, Alan Tudyk, Alfred Molina, Ed O'Neill, Bill Hader, John DiMaggio, Irene Bedard, Kristen Bell, Jodi Benson, Auli'i Cravalho, Jennifer Hale, Kate Higgins, Linda Larkin, Kelly Macdonald, Idina Menzel, Mandy Moore, Paige O'Hara, Pamela Ribon, Anika Noni Rose, Ming-Na Wen, Roger Craig Smith, Tim Allen, Anthony Daniels, Rich Moore, Phil Johnston, Colleen Ballinger, Dani Fernandez, Tiffany Herrera, Corey Burton, Brad Garrett, Michael Giacchino, Kevin Deters, Jesse Averna, Vin Diesel, Maurice LaMarche, Dan Reynolds, Wayne Sermon, Ben McKee, Daniel "Z" Platzman, Ana Ortiz, Ali Wong, Rebecca Wisocky, Flula Borg, Timothy Simons, Mark Smith, Jamie Elman, Hamish Blake, Glozell Green, Della Saba, Kent Boyd, Rachel Crow, June Squibb, Dianna Agron, Jason Mantzoukas, Nicole Scherzinger, Sean Giambrone, Katie Lowes, Melissa Villaseñor, Jeremy Milton, Sam Richardson, Jaboukie Young-White, Horatio Sanz, Alex Moffat, Michaela Zee, Raymond S. Persi, Fuschia!, Jason Hightower, Brian Curless, Ann Barry Colgin, Viveca Paulin, Brittany Kikuchi, Olivier Bénard, Jenica Bergere, John Lavelle, Josie Trinidad, Ruth Strother, Elise Aliberti, Maddix Robinson, Bradford Simonsen, Fabienne Rawley

Release: 2018-11-20

Plot: Taking place six years following the events of the first film, the story will center on Ralph's adventures in the Internet data space when a Wi-Fi router gets plugged into the arcade as he must find a replacement part to fix Sugar Rush.

I looked and didn't see a thread for the new movie so thought I would start one.

I loved the first one and am looking forward to seeing these characters again.

Disney releases this on November 21 as their big film for this year's Thanksgiving stretch. And yes, that long-winded thing in the thread title is the actual title of the film Disney is going with, including the title of the first film, and the number, as a subtitle.

I get that they're concerned with branding, but I think people would understand that it is a sequel to Wreck-It Ralph without having it spelled out for them.

Also, honestly; why aren't they just going with "Ralph Wrecks the Internet" as the title? Wrecking and breaking are synonyms. It's so obviously right in front of them, it's much simpler, and it gets "Wreck" in the title without having to mess with the subtitle.

Anyway, the reason I thought to post this today is because Disney released a new image from it this morning:

Ralph 2 image.jpg

Now, the next question is: when do we get to see a trailer? Will they make us wait until June with The Incredibles 2, or might we get a teaser in March with A Wrinkle in Time?

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Okay, sure, good point. But if they wanted to go with that, I still don't think they need "Wreck-It Ralph 2" at the end, too. I'm pretty sure most people are smart enough to figure out the connection to the first film.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
'Wreck-it Ralph breaks the internet',

There it is. That's the perfect one that checks all the boxes. Now if only we could get Disney to use it.

That being said: Disney's plot synopsis says that Ralph "leaves the arcade behind" to venture into the internet. I wonder how they are going to facilitate this. In the first on, obviously, Ralph's disappearance from the Fix-It Felix game causes the arcade owner to think the game is defective and put the out-of-order sign on it. If Ralph is leaving again, won't Fix-It Felix have the same problem? Or is the whole arcade put out of business? That might explain why the characters try to find refuge in the internet.

Mikael Soderholm

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mikael Söderholm
There it is. That's the perfect one that checks all the boxes. Now if only we could get Disney to use it.

That being said: Disney's plot synopsis says that Ralph "leaves the arcade behind" to venture into the internet. I wonder how they are going to facilitate this. In the first on, obviously, Ralph's disappearance from the Fix-It Felix game causes the arcade owner to think the game is defective and put the out-of-order sign on it. If Ralph is leaving again, won't Fix-It Felix have the same problem? Or is the whole arcade put out of business? That might explain why the characters try to find refuge in the internet.
Thanks, I'm here all week ;)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson

This looks fun, but it doesn't really give you a sense of what the story is, like why they go into the internet or what they're trying to do there before they get distracted with various things. Still, a cool teaser.

I find it funny that Disney is using "From the Creators of Zootopia and Frozen" as though Wreck-It Ralph is a new property they need to sell us on, even though it predated both of them (although grossed significantly less than either one.)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'm not expecting much out of this sequel. The blatant product placement already makes it look two levels lower than the first one.

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
I liked the first one, but I hope the sequel doesn't abandon its video game concepts. I'm all for cat videos and social media or casual game humor, but some of the concepts they scrapped for the first movie sounded interesting (a sequence set in a "Sims"-like game, for example). The first movie also leaned too heavily into a single environment (the pink, candy-themed "Sugar Rush" world), so I hope they have a bit more variety this time.

They actually created the Wreck-It Ralph arcade game (playable) as a promotion for the first movie. I played it and it was actually really fun! Certainly comparable to any of the 1980s arcade games.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I love that they acknowledged the kind of wonky title, and wonder how that functions in the narrative. If Ralph actually learns he's in a movie, that would be extremely meta for Disney.

I love the Disney Princesses scene even more and can't wait to see more of that. Hilarious. They also seem to have done a good job with the CGI renderings of the classic princesses who were 2D in their own films.

I also like that I still don't really know what's going on, in terms of why they go into the internet in the first place or what the plot is. The twist ending inn the first film is one of my favorite movie surprises in recent memory, so I'm glad to see they seem to be keeping plot stuff about this one close to the vest, too, which should hopefully maintain a fresh experience come November.

At least, I'm hoping there's more to it, because if it ends up being "Here's another pop culture reference," that won't work as well as the original does, which really had a strong emotional story at the center of it and was using the video game tropes for more than just promoting video games. We'll see how it goes this time. The trailer does have a lot of synergy to it, but maybe they're trying to hide the true plot.

Last edited:

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
Perfect. Also be sure to read the first few posts of this thread before watching this trailer. :D

Yeah, I had a little deja vu moment with that...

I hope there's not too much Disney self promotional stuff. I still think the bunny with the pancakes from the teaser is the funniest bit.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks