Ralph Bakshi' s FIRE AND ICE

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Lino Reno, Aug 14, 2004.

1. Lino Reno

Lino Reno Stunt Coordinator

So, October, 26th was going to be the release date for this amazing and hard to find film but apparently Blue Undergroung have postponed it until 2005 with a yet indefinite date.

I was personally looking forward to this release and BU were going to give it the SE treatment with no less than 3 separate editions! I sure hope they haven't abandoned any of these plans!

BTW, www.ralphbakshi.com is alreay up and running and if you'd like to take a peak, it's very worthwhile!

2. Daryl Stovall

Daryl Stovall Second Unit

Oh well. I guess I'll have to stick with my Reg. 2 version a while longer.

3. Bryant Trew

Bryant Trew Second Unit

Such a cool animation - I really hope they bring it out!

4. Rhett_Y

Rhett_Y Screenwriter

I have been waiting for this movie for so darn long. We got wizards now lets bring out the big boy!!!!! teehee..... I don't know what it is about this movie that I love so freaking much!........

I hope they don't scrap it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

R~

5. Charlie O.

Charlie O. Supporting Actor

We also need a decent Heavy Traffic DVD. One that is uncut and OAR.

6. Lino Reno

I second that, sir!

7. Jeff Kuykendall

Jeff Kuykendall Stunt Coordinator

Heavy Traffic is cut? Can you give more information?

8. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

While I'm not much of a Bakshi fan, I'd really like to see a DVD release of Coonskin. That's probably not likely to happen...

9. Charlie O.

10. Lino Reno

Maybe you should ask Mr. Bakshi himself. He is now answering questions on the new Forum at his redesigned site www.ralphbakshi.com

11. Charlie O.

Guess its worth a shot.

12. Eric F

Eric F Screenwriter

Anyone ask him why Cool World sucks?[​IMG]

13. Charlie O.

I think it was because of edits to bring it down to a PG-13. Anyway, I asked him of his forum about it.

14. Anthony Thorne

Anthony Thorne Supporting Actor

Blue Underground head William Lustig was down here in Melbourne a few weeks ago and I chatted to him briefly. He mentioned that FIRE AND ICE was being specially restored (for them) right now by the same company that MGM is employing to redo the various James Bond titles in Hi-Def. I've seen them mentioned in HTF threads before. Lowry something or other? (Hopefully I'm not confusing them with another group). Anyway, I'd imagine this means the final disc will be worth the wait.

One thing that did come across from chatting to Lustig (even more so than what I'd gathered previously from interviews) is that he and the whole Blue Underground team are perfectionists who work extremely hard to make each release top quality. They use some of the same technical folk for mastering that Criterion use, and spend a lot of time and money on some titles to really show them at their best. THE FINAL COUNTDOWN was a big success for Blue Underground and has given them some extra freedom to pursue new titles, and maybe to lavish extra attention on the ones they already have.

15. Lino Reno

Thank you so much for the info! So that means that excellent things are expected, right? Now, if we only had some idea about what extras are to be included...

16. Joe:C

Joe:C Second Unit

It looks like the release date will be "around the end of July". I found this on Ralph Bakshi's website

12/20/2004 Archives: "Bakshi's Fire And Ice DVD in July"

"Long featured on the "future releases" page of its website, Blue Underground honcho Bill Lustig announced on Saturday at a Q&A session for another film screening in Scranton, PA, that Ralph Bakshi's Fire And Ice "should be out around the end of July" from the independent DVD distributors. Apparently, the key thing holding up release has been removing all the dirt from the negative (inherent in the original cels). He also mentioned that the transfer will be Hi-Def mastered, and contain a 6.1 DTS sound mix."

Its good to see some kind of timeframe for the dvd. The original story came from http://www.animated-news.com/archives/00002844.html

17. Jay Pennington

Jay Pennington Screenwriter

That is contradictory. Hopefully they'll post clearer info soon.

Thanks for the info!

18. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

They might mean both--dirt in the negative and also dirt in the cels themselves. But I agree, it's less than clear.

19. Rhett_Y

Rhett_Y Screenwriter

See my post in the other Fire and Ice thread... It is coming out August 30th!! I already pre-ordered it!!! I love this film and I can not wait for it to be in my hands! Two disks non the less!!!!

R~

20. Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty Cinematographer

They're offering it as an early offering at the Blue Underground booth at the San Diego Comic Con. My friend Brad bought his there today-- signed by Ralph Bakshi no less.