What's new

Rallisport Challenge (1 Viewer)

JamesH

Supporting Actor
Anyone still playing Rallisport? I popped it in last night expecting to be a bit underwhelmed due to all the recent great looking games, but it's still right up at the top of the pack even after all this time. The environments are practically photorealistic on a HDTV. I just wanted to throw a shout out to this game, because it doesn't get nearly enough respect.

On a side note, maybe Microsoft has the wrong strategy in mind when it comes to third parties. Instead of throwing cash at developers, why not give them some programming assistance? Think about how much better Ghost Recon and Morrowind would be if they used Rallisport's engine to render the outdoor environments. Bump mapping, rock solid 60FPS, ridiculous draw distance, incredible vegitation...

Dan B

Screenwriter
Yeah, visually speaking, it still impresses. waits for the "GT3 looks better" cult members to arrive...

The racing genre on the Xbox is quite strong. Apex & Mercedes Benz World Racing look unbelievable, plus PGR 2 will no doubt knock our socks off...I mean PGR was created in 8 months time!

I still play Rallisport quite a bit...the classic mode, or whatever the last one is, is a very good challenge. Partly because the pace notes suck...but the courses are very challenging. The game has some outstanding course design. I love all of the courses that twist through the mountains especially. Fantastic fun.

The Rallisport sequel online should be terrific...hopefully I'll have broadband availability by that time. :rolleyes:I used to play DICE's previous rally game for the PC, Rally Masters, online and it was great great great fun, even though not that many people bought that game.

-Dan
who needs to go get some beer

Dan B

Screenwriter
There is actually a cult of them?
Ohh yeah. They're out there...I don't think there are too many of the cult's members here at this forum, though. Try mentioning any racing game at forums like IGN or Team Xbox, for example, and they appear like flies on shit.

-Dan
who now has his beer

EdR

Second Unit
I think Rallisport is the most realistic looking driving game out there, it's the game that made me want an Xbox. I suspect the reason some people think GT3 looks better (aside from the fanboy factor) is because the color saturation in RS is kind of low. It's more realistic, but it's not as eye-catching, IMO.

I played RS religiously after I got my Xbox, I worked my way through 75% of the game before I suddenly got bored. There's just not enough variety in the game, the tracks are too flat, as if they've all been perfectly graded.

Despite RS's graphic superiority, I went back to WRC on the PS2, and decided that for me, it's a better game. 14 countries, each country required a different driving style to conquer. The roads throw all kind of irregular bumpy surfaces at you. Course design is stellar.

I'm eagerly awaiting the sequels to both of these games. WRC II is already out in Europe...but I've seen nothing about a US release :angry: And then there's CMR3, which is only ~2 weeks away (for the Xbox)!!

DwightK

Second Unit
And no same day coverage on SpeedTV any more:angry:

Had to resort to live radio this morning for my fix of Rally Monte Carlo.

I want to get into playing rallysport but always end up going back to WRC with my FF wheel. This weekend I have to race monte in my focus.

When the heck is a good wheel going to come out for the xbox anyways?

Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Supporting Actor
I love Rallisport, it was the game I bought when I got the Xbox in the first place and I still like it.

Can't wait for Dice's Midtown madness Xbox game (although I suppose it won't play the same)

dave_brogli

Screenwriter
GRAN TURISMO 3 LOOKS SWEETER> ARGHGGGGGGG
no just kidding. I actually think GT3 looks a little outdated. (waiting to be hung by GT3 cult members):emoji_thumbsup: great game though none the less

Dan B

Screenwriter
When the heck is a good wheel going to come out for the xbox anyways?
Nobody seems to know. Before someone mentions that there are already wheels out for the Xbox, "good" means to us that it has to have force feedback. Once you've used one there's no going back to anything less.

I've mentioned before here that I emailed Logitech about releasing one, and they replied that Microsoft will not let them release a wheel with force feedback! Microsoft sent me a form letter when I asked them about it. :rolleyes

I almost forgot about the new rally season, I'll have to remember to tune in to the Speed Channel.

JamesH

Supporting Actor
Someone ought to make an adaptor. I'd think it would be easy since the Xbox controller ports are USB to begin with. I'm not sure if you'd get force feedback, but I suspect that you would. With the GT Force, even games that aren't even supposed to work with it have some force feedback(Twisted Metal, TXR Zero).

Eric C. Mylonas

Stunt Coordinator

Are either of these games what you might deem 'arcadey'?

I'm desperate for an arcade-style racing game (rally or otherwise) and, with F-Zero some months away, I need something to fill the void.

Ah, the good ol' days of Daytona and Rage Racer....

EdR

Second Unit
Are either of these games what you might deem 'arcadey'?
IMO, yes, both RS and WRC are much more arcade than sim. My take is that between the two RS is slightly more sim in the car handling, whereas WRC is more sim when it comes to car damage. In WRC you can seriously cripple you car, but it always runs...in RS the cars are indestructable, but neither takes their sim elements too seriously.

IMO, WRC is just more fun. The cars are highly responsive, you can filp them through hairpins, gunning the engine to grip the road out of turns. It's a little easier to lose control in RS, especially on dirt or ice. As I said above, the tracks themselves are really nice in WRC. Each country has a track style, Australia has dusty dirt roads, with flat wide lanes perfect for powersliding. Italy is a blast, on paved, undulating snake-like one lane roads. Great Britain is tough, with narrow convex gravel pathways. Most tracks have bumps and dips that keep you on your toes as the car bounces along.

The tracks in RS are all very flat (not in elevation, but in surface features and irregularities), and roughly the same width, like they were engineered by Germans. They also dont vary much between geographic regions. A dirt track in the Pacific Northwest is suspiciously similar to drive on as a hillclimb up a mountainside.

One place where WRC falls short of RS is in the off-road dept. If you tread very far off road in WRC, you slow down termendously, which is irritating. Also, the game makes errors in when it decides to return you to the track...whereas RS allows you to return to track with a button, which is a better way of doing it.

WRC wins on sound, the engines sound more satisfying. Amazingly, in WRC you can get a good idea of what kind of traction you're tires are getting by listening to them, there's a good deal of feedback via sound about your grip (sliding, squealing, spinning, etc), which is cool.

One huge difference between these games is that RS has rallycross which lets you race against other cars. WRC follows the official WRC rules in that it's a time trial, you against times set by other drivers. I actually like the time-trial aspect, but if you want to race against other cars, WRC won't give that to you.

Don't get me wrong, both these games are fun, and RS is a pure joy to look at. I just found myself going back to WRC more...even atfer playing WRC for months before getting RS, I still play WRC more often.

Dan B

Screenwriter
I'm desperate for an arcade-style racing game (rally or otherwise) and, with F-Zero some months away, I need something to fill the void.

Ah, the good ol' days of Daytona and Rage Racer....
Eric, you may want to watch for Apex next month, too. In the latest issue of GMR, they reviewed Apex calling it the best looking racer ever...with Ridge Racer-like handling.

For me Ridge Racer-like handling would be a bad thing (I prefer realistic handling) but for those who like their handling arcadey, that game seems very promising.

Should we get a racing game thread going with some screenshot links too? Or has this one already been taken over?

EdR

Second Unit
Apex looks breathtaking, defintely looking forward to it.

Eric, in the unlikely event that you haven't played the latest Need for Speed, it might satisfy your craving. It's truly a pick up and play arcade racing game with crack-like addictive qualities.

paul h

Supporting Actor
Rallisport is a great game, superb graphics and fun to play, i agree that WRC is more realistic though. I've just picked up Colin McRae though so i'll give that a good thrashing :)

I think GT3 still looks fantastic and it's a testament to the talented guys at Polyphony that after all this time it's still the best looking racer on the PS2.

Anyone remember Rally Cross back on the PSX? i had loadsa fun with that one and the 2 player mode was great :D

Forgot to mention, if you're in Europe head on over to play247, they have this game for a superb £12.99 delivered!!!

http://www.playserver2.com/play247.a...OX&title=98731

EdR

Second Unit
I've just picked up Colin McRae though so i'll give that a good thrashing
Damn you Europeans for getting all the rally games first ;)

I appears as if CMR3 has been pushed back 2 more weeks here...oh well, I've waited for nearly a year, what's 2 more weeks, eh?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks