Rallisport Challenge

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JamesH, Jan 24, 2003.

1. JamesH

JamesH Supporting Actor

Anyone still playing Rallisport? I popped it in last night expecting to be a bit underwhelmed due to all the recent great looking games, but it's still right up at the top of the pack even after all this time. The environments are practically photorealistic on a HDTV. I just wanted to throw a shout out to this game, because it doesn't get nearly enough respect.

On a side note, maybe Microsoft has the wrong strategy in mind when it comes to third parties. Instead of throwing cash at developers, why not give them some programming assistance? Think about how much better Ghost Recon and Morrowind would be if they used Rallisport's engine to render the outdoor environments. Bump mapping, rock solid 60FPS, ridiculous draw distance, incredible vegitation...

2. Dan B

Dan B Screenwriter

Yeah, visually speaking, it still impresses. waits for the "GT3 looks better" cult members to arrive...

The racing genre on the Xbox is quite strong. Apex & Mercedes Benz World Racing look unbelievable, plus PGR 2 will no doubt knock our socks off...I mean PGR was created in 8 months time!

I still play Rallisport quite a bit...the classic mode, or whatever the last one is, is a very good challenge. Partly because the pace notes suck...but the courses are very challenging. The game has some outstanding course design. I love all of the courses that twist through the mountains especially. Fantastic fun.

The Rallisport sequel online should be terrific...hopefully I'll have broadband availability by that time. [​IMG] I used to play DICE's previous rally game for the PC, Rally Masters, online and it was great great great fun, even though not that many people bought that game.

-Dan
    who needs to go get some beer

3. JamesH

JamesH Supporting Actor

4. Dan B

Dan B Screenwriter

5. EdR

EdR Second Unit

I think Rallisport is the most realistic looking driving game out there, it's the game that made me want an Xbox. I suspect the reason some people think GT3 looks better (aside from the fanboy factor) is because the color saturation in RS is kind of low. It's more realistic, but it's not as eye-catching, IMO.

I played RS religiously after I got my Xbox, I worked my way through 75% of the game before I suddenly got bored. There's just not enough variety in the game, the tracks are too flat, as if they've all been perfectly graded.

Despite RS's graphic superiority, I went back to WRC on the PS2, and decided that for me, it's a better game. 14 countries, each country required a different driving style to conquer. The roads throw all kind of irregular bumpy surfaces at you. Course design is stellar.

I'm eagerly awaiting the sequels to both of these games. WRC II is already out in Europe...but I've seen nothing about a US release [​IMG] And then there's CMR3, which is only ~2 weeks away (for the Xbox)!!

6. DwightK

DwightK Second Unit

And no same day coverage on SpeedTV any more[​IMG]

Had to resort to live radio this morning for my fix of Rally Monte Carlo.

I want to get into playing rallysport but always end up going back to WRC with my FF wheel. This weekend I have to race monte in my focus.

When the heck is a good wheel going to come out for the xbox anyways?

7. Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Bjorn Olav Nyberg Supporting Actor

I love Rallisport, it was the game I bought when I got the Xbox in the first place and I still like it.

Can't wait for Dice's Midtown madness Xbox game (although I suppose it won't play the same)

8. dave_brogli

dave_brogli Screenwriter

GRAN TURISMO 3 LOOKS SWEETER> ARGHGGGGGGG
    no just kidding. I actually think GT3 looks a little outdated. (waiting to be hung by GT3 cult members)[​IMG] great game though none the less

9. Dan B

Dan B Screenwriter

10. JamesH

JamesH Supporting Actor

Someone ought to make an adaptor. I'd think it would be easy since the Xbox controller ports are USB to begin with. I'm not sure if you'd get force feedback, but I suspect that you would. With the GT Force, even games that aren't even supposed to work with it have some force feedback(Twisted Metal, TXR Zero).

11. Eric C. Mylonas

Eric C. Mylonas Stunt Coordinator

Are either of these games what you might deem 'arcadey'?

I'm desperate for an arcade-style racing game (rally or otherwise) and, with F-Zero some months away, I need something to fill the void.

Ah, the good ol' days of Daytona and Rage Racer....

12. EdR

EdR Second Unit

13. Dan B

Dan B Screenwriter

14. EdR

EdR Second Unit

Apex looks breathtaking, defintely looking forward to it.

Eric, in the unlikely event that you haven't played the latest Need for Speed, it might satisfy your craving. It's truly a pick up and play arcade racing game with crack-like addictive qualities.

15. paul h

paul h Supporting Actor

Rallisport is a great game, superb graphics and fun to play, i agree that WRC is more realistic though. I've just picked up Colin McRae though so i'll give that a good thrashing [​IMG]

I think GT3 still looks fantastic and it's a testament to the talented guys at Polyphony that after all this time it's still the best looking racer on the PS2.

Anyone remember Rally Cross back on the PSX? i had loadsa fun with that one and the 2 player mode was great [​IMG]

Forgot to mention, if you're in Europe head on over to play247, they have this game for a superb £12.99 delivered!!!

http://www.playserver2.com/play247.a...OX&title=98731

16. Eric C. Mylonas

Eric C. Mylonas Stunt Coordinator

Yup, on PS2 [​IMG]

Surprisingly good...especially given that it's a non-sports EA console game.

17. EdR

EdR Second Unit