Rallisport Challenge is beautiful, immersive and addictive

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Kilroy, Mar 26, 2002.

1. John Kilroy

John Kilroy Stunt Coordinator

So I'm driving along, fast, and I fishtail as I'm going into a hairpin turn. The sides of the track are lined with standing placards that say "Michelin," "Moto," and so forth. I hit a couple of them. Two get pushed off to the side of my car, and the other one just disappears. I finish the race and view the replay. I see my car coming *out* of the same hairpin turn, and behind my car is the missing placard, flying -tumbling- about thirty feet in the air over the track, from when I had hit it going into the turn.

At 11:30 last night, I found myself yelling with glee because I had just finally ovetaken the race leader (in a most unsportsman-like fashion).

Moments like these make me love video games, and Rallisport Challenge is full of moments.

-When I race an ice track at sunset, the ice takes on the color of the sunset in a totally realistic manner.

-On a second lap, the tire marks from my powerslide on the first lap are still there, as is the debree I left in the road.

-The sky. With multiple layers of clouds that move at different speeds. Wow. Just wow.

-Going from an ice track to a mud track to a gravel track, and having to learn how to powerslide on three different surfaces, never mind the variables when the weather gets going.

I've never played a Rally game before, so I guess there's some novelty value showing, but nonetheless, this game is awesome!

2. Kevin Coleman

Kevin Coleman Second Unit

I love this game also. I have had it for about two weeks.
    How far have you guys got in career mode and how long has it taken you. I am up to about 22000 career poimts in normal hardness mode.
    Kevin C. [​IMG]

3. Mike Pattee

Mike Pattee Second Unit

I bought this game when I traded in my PS2 to get the xbox. So far I haven't been all that enthralled with it. I played it for a few hours the first day and just haven't gone back. I picked up project gotham racing and love it however. For some reason I enjoy the kudos system better than the rally racing. I think after I finish gotham I'll give it another shot though.

Mike

4. John Kilroy

John Kilroy Stunt Coordinator

I've opened up the second set of tracks and cars. I'm probably not very far along.

Mike,

These games are as different as racers can be, in terms of style and implementation. I find PGR to be much more technical, requiring a lot of precision driving. Sometimes I'm in the mood for that. I do like the car selection better in PGR, by virtue of the fact that I have seen some of these cars on the road (and have owned a couple). I think Rallisport challenge has a higher "sheer fun" factor for me. That and the graphics are what I'm getting off on right now.

John Kilroy

5. Trevor_J

Trevor_J Second Unit

I agree RSC is awesome.
    For better control I picked up the Gamester Pro Racer 'steering wheel'. It's not a true steering wheel but it gives me *MUCH* *MUCH* better steering control. Before watching the replays I would notice how awkward my car movements were, especially the movement of the front tires. On some narrow sections I found myself going off the road because I just couldn't get the right amount of steering control from the standard controller. After switching to the Pro Racer my laptimes improved exponentially, the fun factor tripled and my driving style now resembles Colin McRae.
    I highly recommend it to get the most out of this game. Well, I imagine a full steering and pedal set up would be better, but I don't want to go that far.
    Here's a link to the Pro Racer if anyone's interested:
    Gamester Pro Racer