What's new

Ralisport Challange 16:9 and 5.1 and it Rocks (1 Viewer)

Jeff Kleinberg

Stunt Coordinator
I've been playing this nonstop since 5 and this game is amazing, I've have it on my 57 inch toshiba in 480p widescreen and in 1st person veiw it is like racing, with the rumble of the controller, I've have never been more into a racing game. Now if only there was a way to view the game without a HUD, so I dont kill my TV. I keep having to break for an hour or so and play SSX. I highly recommend this game. I also picked up THPS#3 and while I like it, I miss the dreamcast controller. Do you guys use D=pad or thumb stick?.

Jeff

Dean Cooper

Supporting Actor
What a blast of a game! This is THE rally game I've always dreamed of. FAST and the handling rocks. I'm using the stick for now but I think I'm going to cave and get me a good wheel. This game screams for one :)
Ok back to racing!
Dean
:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:
:star: :star: :star: :star: :star:

Sean Oneil

Supporting Actor
Is there a replay mode, and how in depth is it as far as camera selection?

Is there really no way to turn off the H.U.D. ?

Andrew s wells

Second Unit
The only option ive sen is to change the look of the HUD to a digital speedometer, which is much smaller. Dont think you can turn it off.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Picking this one up at lunch today.
Can't wait to see it running on my 100" screen through my NEC LT150 DLP!:) :) :) :) :)

Daren Welsh

Supporting Actor
/me shudders
As soon as I saw the "my 100-inch screen" part of your post, I *gasp*ed. I thought you were talking about one of these "big screens" that I've seen so many retards brag about on the video game forums. :eek:
My question: Those of you who now own RSC, have you played PGR? If so, how do you compare these two in terms of graphics, audio, controls, gameplay, and replayability (is there MP ... is it all racing, or does it have tricks like in PGR)?
I'm really interested in this game, but I've still got hella to go in PGR.

Dean Cooper

Supporting Actor
My question: Those of you who now own RSC, have you played PGR? If so, how do you compare these two in terms of graphics, audio, controls, gameplay, and replayability (is there MP ... is it all racing, or does it have tricks like in PGR)?
I have PGR so I'll give your questions a try.
Graphics:
Comparing these titles in terms of graphics is actually quite interesting. I'm going to break up the components a bit just to give a hopefully more understandable answer.
Graphics wise I would put the cars in to the same quality category. If you have a large screen you are going to notice some jags on the cars themselves. RSC seems to pull ahead with the reflections, they look smoother. You have more camera control in PGR in terms of configuration but the camera modes avaiable in RSC have more types of views. RSC has a hood view that is missing from PGR.
The tracks in RSC are absolutely georgous! Lighting is better, the enviroments are much more realistic. RSC wins this department hands down between the two. The only thing I can say that I would of changed is how mud works in the game.
Replays look stunning, but RSC lacks the ability to save them :frowning: I wish there was a way to get rid of the buttons on the bottom when watching either. For this department I give the crown to PGR. You can save the replay and the camera control is much better in PGR.
Both games look fantastic, but if I had to choose between them to demo my Xbox. I would pick RSC without a doubt.
Audio
The audio is outstanding in both games. You can setup the song playlist just like in PGR. Very nice indeed :)
Gameplay and Controls
Gameplay is still pretty hard to compare as I haven't really had a good long time to play yet. For right now I'll say RSC starts off lower on the learning curve than PGR, easy to just pick up and start racing.
Controls are different than PGR but not drasticly. The first thing that I thought of when I finished off a few runs of a track was "This game screams for a wheel". I did not feel the same about PGR. I love the fact that you have control over gear ratio, tyres, suspention ect or can let the game pick a setup that should suit the track. Both games have very well thought out control systems and you shouldn't have a problem picking up RSC quickly if your used to PGR.
Replay value
Once again, its really difficult to make an accurate opinion yet but I'll say what I think so far.
RSC has lots of stuff to unlock, and playing to unlock everything is going to take a good player a conserable commitment to their driving skill. There is a multiplayer race mode via split screen, too bad there isn't a link option. Its alot like the PGR multiplayer basicly. I'm going to put RSC in to the same category as PGR for replay value for now because that is my impression so far.
So, should I buy this game you ask?
My answer is if you enjoy racing games...RUN RIGHT NOW and get it! You are going to love this game.
Dean

Daren Welsh

Supporting Actor
w0w Dean, thanks for the in-depth review :) From what I've seen in screenies and preview movies, it _looked_ like it would be a kickass game, but I was really still in the dark as to whether it _played_ as well as PGR. It sounds like it would make a good complement for PGR in that PGR is city racing and RSC is off-road. (Correct me if I'm wrong about the track-types)
It's too bad we still don't have many games for link-play. I don't see how it could be so hard to incorporate that as an option.
I'll definately look to buy this game, but I might wait and see if my buddy at MS can go shopping for me ;)

Dan B

Screenwriter
I've played the game for a short time & I generally agree with what Dean says. Dean, to remove the onscreen controls during a replay, all you have to do is move the left stick or D-pad down. ;) (I knew this because their previous PC game Rally Masters operated the same way)
I also agree strongly with Dean that this game makes you want to use a steering wheel. The gamepad is just fine, but rally racing games really rock with a wheel!
One note/complaint on the audio: When using the hood view, which is the one I like to use, the audio is biased towards the surrounds almost totally. Also, the sound effects when colliding are way overdone. It sounds like someone has dropped dishes on the floor behind you. For these reasons, I actually prefer and recommend playing this game in stereo rather than Dolby Digital mode. YMMV, of course.
-Dan B
powersliding prodigy

wayne nagle

Auditioning
I have a 61 inch HDTV. I love this game, but does anyone else see some jaggies around certain things? Thanks for the info.

Wayne

Jon Diehl

Stunt Coordinator
Anyone that has played Colin McRae Rally 2 and/or Rally Trophy on their PC, please compare this title to these two PC rally sims.

I have both games on my PC and love playing them, especially online.

However, I've been looking for a good racing game for my Xbox, especially one that supports a 16:9 widescreen mode, so that I can enjoy some racing on my 65" HDTV from the couch.

Thanks in advance.

Sean Oneil

Supporting Actor
This is one sweet looking racer that is actually fun to play. The terrain feels convincing, ice acts like ice, sand like sand, mud like mud, asphalt like asphalt etc..
It takes a bit of time to learn how the car will powerslide differently on different terrains (many types of terrain are often mixed with one another on certain tracks) but once you get the hang of it the game becomes very enjoyable... downright addicting.
Sometimes some amazing things will happen, like catching a sandbank at the perfect angle, which can send your car into mid-air, having it roll and flip over completely and then land safely on its wheels as you keep on racing. :D Stuff like that is really fun to watch in replay mode. Lots of cars, lots of maps (which are huge) and lots of different terrain and conditions make this the best rally type racing game that I have played yet.
Very well done. Graphics are outstanding, and sound is great, although I seldom notice any surround activity in DD 5.1 mode.
:emoji_thumbsup: 4 1/2 out of 5 stars I would say.

Scott Van Dyke

Supporting Actor
I burned my own 20-25 tunes to race to for this game. It rules. I see no other option than to race to Metallica's "Breadfan", or Cake's "Going the Distance"

With your own soundtrack, you can't go wrong.

Extreeemly addicting.

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
Sonuva. I was planning on holding off on this until I either played the demo in next month's OXM or rented it first. But all this talk has me gearing up (pardon the pun) to buy it today for the weekend. I haven't read a poor review yet.

Andrew s wells

Second Unit
Jay...... without a doubt, if you like sega rally at all, this game will be sure to please. This game is very addicting so be sure you are able to pull yourself away.:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks