What's new

Raising Hope - season 1 thread (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Strange as it sounds for a show that's so twisted, it was pretty neat getting a Christmas special with a Jesus-centric plot. Lots of shows do Santa or what have you, but I can't think of one in the last decade or so that's made more than passing reference to the reason for the season, so to speak. That they could do that without losing the edge to the humor and was terrific. I loved the ending, too, with the little "Donated by Hope Chance" plaque on the organ. As Greg said, just the right touch of sentimentality.

This episode was directed by Michael Fresco, who directed quite a few of my favorite Jonathan Slavin moments on "Better Off Ted". I was so happy he brought him into the world of Hope. His cheerful, friendly but morally bankrupt character absolutely killed me. "My wife tricked me into adopting another little girl. Etatu. She's from God knows where." And later, after almost hitting Maw Maw with his car: "Sorry, Burt! Too many witnesses. Good luck, though!"

Originally Posted by Kevin Hewell

It wouldn't surprise me that Greg Garcia threw that line in there.

Me neither. I've read that Cloris Leachman improvises a lot of Maw Maw's gags so it's possible that's one of hers, but Garcia would definitely be capable of coming up with that line.

Lucia Duran

Screenwriter
Okay what are all the made up words that the mom comes up with....

Dramastically

Procrasterbating

Hermedetary

Philistrophical

Peroxative

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Fox just send this letter to the television/entertainment press providing access to online screeners promoting the return of the show from hiatus:

Hello Friends,
How have you been? We’ve been off the air for some time now – which I think is really, really, really
going to help the show. Nothing keeps word of mouth going like disappearing for a couple of months.
It’s actually a brilliant marketing ploy by the network: the old “absence makes the heart grow fonder” method. When I was five, my father left in the middle of the night without warning. My sister and I didn’t know if he was still alive or if he would ever return. Then, two months later, he stumbled through the door, peed in the closet and threw up on our cat. We couldn’t have been more thrilled to see him. So, I’m asking you to get the word out that RAISING HOPE is alive and well, and on Tuesday, Feb. 8 (9:01-9:30 PM ET/PT), we will be stumbling back into the homes of America to pee in their closets and throw up on their cats. And we’re coming back strong with some great episodes. Can you believe it? We’re halfway through the first season and we don’t suck yet. Now available on the [REDACTED] are some episodes for you to check out and review: “Romeo and Romeo,” (airing Tuesday, Feb 8 9/8c) “A Germ of a Story” (airing Tuesday, Feb 15 9/8c) and “What Up, Cuz?” (to be scheduled). I hope you enjoy them. And if you don’t, I hope you keep your mouth shut about it. Thanks.

Your Pal,
Greg Garcia

Love this show.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
"A Germ of a Story" was a great episode. When they used the Matrix-style "bullet time" to show Maw Maw's germ cloud attacking Jimmy, I laughed so hard.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, terrific episode that showcased everything I love about the show. Cutting, subversive humor mixed with genuine earnest sweetness. I think Fox is airing episodes out of order though, since the camcorder Jimmy got in tonight's episode was in last week's episode and there was literally no follow-up on the bromance.

I particularly loved the revelation that people in Virginia's family live forever, because their general lack of hygiene, while Sabrina's Type A, germaphobic family averages only into their early 60s. When I was growing up, my mom would leave me in the sandbox or let me play in the mud, and just hose me off before letting me in the house. All of her friends were appalled, and they kept their kids damn near hermetically sealed. Jump ahead a decade, and I got sick once, maybe twice a year. Their kids were sick constantly. It's good to build up your kids' immune systems when they're young, and they can take it.

Cloris Leachman is amazing on this show.

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
This is really a funny show, it has outrageous comedic moments and subtle drama, when the mom saw her Paw Paw in the old videos to Maw Maw running right through the screen(which was so freaking LOL).

Lucia Duran

Screenwriter
" Okay we will Rock Paper Scissors for it, but I want to know if turtles are involved and where exactly they fall on the food chain!"

Burt has some of the best lines!

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
This show seems to ping-pong between so-so episodes and hilariously awesome episodes. Loved the germ one. The Amy Sedaris one was just alright. Tonight's episode was great.

My question: Who caused the pregnancy scare? Wyatt or someone else?

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
And the return of long lost cousin Mike, never seen since the pilot episode.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Great episode tonight, though I would have liked about five or so more minutes with the gang in the attic at the end. It'd be interesting to see what would come out with them all inebriated.

I also would have liked the episode to address what in my opinion would have been the obvious reason to make Sabrina the guardian: she's not ignorant. If Burt and Virginia raise Hope, she'll be loved and she'll be kind and she'll be decent -- but more or less in the same boat that Jimmy's in now. If Sabrina raises Hope, she'll be curious and inquisitive and she'll be read to. In short, she'll be exposed to things that Burt and Virginia wouldn't be capable of exposing her to. I'm not saying the one is better than the other, but it's where I thought the mongoose video at the beginning was leading.

Favorite bit? Maw maw shooting the hole through the front of the house, and Jimmy covering it with a picture frame.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Yeah, I don't think there's much intelligence in that house when, rather than spend $10 on a new iron, they try and find ways to deal with the shorted out cord.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks