What's new

Raising Hope - season 1 thread (1 Viewer)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I love this show, too. The scene where Jimmy is comforting Hope during the thunderstorm was great. Almost makes me wish I had kids...almost.

And just in the nick of time, we find out there's more baby food in the pantry.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
The universe that these characters inhabit in this show really works for the show, even if most of the characters are broadly drawn, it just works. At the end of the day, the amount of heart in each episode is what make it a cut above most of the other comedies on this season.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
This has become my favorite show. For all the laughs in last night's episode, it was about two fathers trying to do the selfless thing for their children. Jimmy and Burt are ignorant, but they're making the sacrifices necessary for their children. It's nice to have this half-hour every week about a family that loves one another, for all of their quirks.

By giving Jimmy the part time bagging job, they also avoid having to come up with lots of contrivances to create scenes between him and Sabrina. When they want some Jimmy-Sabrina interaction but don't want to involve her in the "A" plot, they can just cut to Jimmy bagging for her.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Originally Posted by Mark_B

Didn't Jimmy have a brother in the pilot? I remember 2 guys working along with Jimmy's Dad.

He was a cousin, I believe. Maybe Maw-Maw actually evicted him during a lucid moment.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Malcolm R

Maybe Maw-Maw actually evicted him during a lucid moment.

He was written off in episode two in a most memorable fashion:

JIMMY: Hey, where's Mike's tent? [Burt hands Jimmy a scrap of paper.]

JIMMY (reading): "Guys, met a chick, joined a cult. Later." Again?

VIRGINIA (pulling a clump of hair from the utility sink): I think he's serious this time. He shaved his head. EW! [Throws down the hair] Not just his head.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Hope picking up "dog" mannerisms at daycare was very funny: barking at the doorbell, then growling when Jimmy tried to take away her steak bone.

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
Also, when they were following the blue dot from the sky to the town, to the street, to the house and when the dads DL popped up had me laughing my ass off.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Tonight's episode got pretty far out there with Lucy's psycho parents, where I thought the show was becoming more interested in being bizarre than being funny. But they wrapped things up beautifully following the arrest of Hope's maternal grandparents, with a lot of great payoffs for seeds from earlier on. I particularly loved Dead Tooth and Sabrina's ukelele duet, where you can really see them as relations. Wonderful supporting cast that all play off each other beautifully.In

In short, I thought this episode was... macabre.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Loved the answer to, "Do any of these burners work?"

Virginia: Half of the right front one. You have to put the center of a pot on that half then balance it with a lid.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
We've been catching the beginning of this show on the DVR following Glee and finally started recording it last week. I love quirky humor and this really fills the bill nicely.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
"Yeah, babies are cool. 'Til you've done everything there is to do with them. Then you get bored. That's why TV shows about babies never last more than a year."

Love this show. And the inner "My Name is Earl" fan loved the shout outs tonight. "Hey, Kenny."

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
imgrepo

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
Nice Christmas episode with just the right touch of sentimentality. I loved watching the different ways Maw-maw almost offed herself with Burt observing with interest. And the "who the hell moved.." line was gold.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks