RAISING ARIZONA - anyone know if a 20th anniversary edition is planned?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Julio Diaz, Mar 5, 2006.

1. Julio Diaz

Julio Diaz Stunt Coordinator

I picked up a copy of RAISING ARIZONA last week because it was on sale for around $7, then realized that the movie hits its 20th anniversary next year. Anyone hear any bozz on a reissue? I haven't opened my copy yet and weill return it if we're going to get a deluxe reissue next year - like I did for AIRPLANE!, I'd gladly wait for a deluxe reissue as its one of my favorites.

2. Travis Brashear

Travis Brashear Screenwriter

No word yet but I agree--it's a no-brainer! One of my highest profile "I won't buy it until it's anamorphic" titles...please make it happen, 20th Century Fox!

3. Micah Cohen

Micah Cohen Screenwriter

It's baffling how great films like this languish in crappy, non-anamorphic, barebones DVD versions while much less-deserving movies get multiple multi-disc "Super Special Edition" releases. (BLADE RUNNER anyone?)

[​IMG]

I feel defeated by the whole subject. But chances are you'll see yet another re-re-issue of FARGO or THE BIG LEBOWSKI before we see HUDSUCKER PROXY or RAISING ARIZONA on a good DVD. (And by the time we get BLADE RUNNER on a good DVD, we'll be downloading films directly into our brains via a plug on the back of our necks, it seems.)

MC

4. Random Hero

Random Hero Second Unit

To whoever is holding back a proper 20th Anniversary Edition of this classic...

You tell him I think he's a damn fool. You tell him I said so! And if he wants to discuss it he knows where to find me ... in the Munroe County Maximum Security Correctional Facility for Men ... State Farm Road Number Thirty-one;
    Tempe, Arizona ... I'll be waiting! I'll be waiting...

for this classic to get a proper DVD treatment. [​IMG]

5. Joe Murgia

Joe Murgia Auditioning

I know they have a hi-def master. It was on INHD a few months back in beautiful High Definition. It looked great. All they have to do is release it now.

6. Tim Glover

Tim Glover Lead Actor

Tim Glover
    I'd be ALL over a special edition of this one. Clever, funny, and one of the best roles ever for Cage and Hunter. [​IMG]

7. BrettB

BrettB Producer

[​IMG]

Been waiting a long time for a decent RA but I won't buy another SD version at this point. They lost their chance for my SD double-dip money. Hopefully it will be treated better by the new formats.

8. Mark Bendiksen

Mark Bendiksen Screenwriter

Raising Arizona is hands down one of my favorite films of all time (and I don't think I'm alone in this sentiment). However, I never purchased the currently available DVD, mainly because it was bare-bones non-anamorphic. If and when Fox chooses to re-release the film in SD anamorphic or HD then I will buy it.

For the record (and this may seem weird), as much as I love the amazing performances that Nick Cage and Holly Hunter and have delivered throughout their respective careers, nothing, and I mean NOTHING, compares to their work in Raising Arizona.

9. Jeff D Han

Jeff D Han Supporting Actor

Yeah, I would buy a good 16x9 release in a second. It's
    one of my all-time favorites also. This is the Coen
    Brothers best film.

10. Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H All Things Film Junkie

Stephen J. Hill
    I completely agree. This is, hands down, the best Coen Brothers film. Ever. Much as I loved O Brother, Where Art Thou, Fargo, and Hudsucker Proxy, and gave begrudging credit to The Big Lebowski, Raising Arizona will always be my favourite.

11. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

Chalk me up as yet another DVD buyer that will leave the non-anamorphic version to languish on the shelf. Ugh, why can't they get this right???

12. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn
    I have the current DVD, but more recently watched it a few times in HD on INHD. Maybe this will be one that Fox can issue a 20th anniversary Blu-ray edition of in 2007.

13. Micah Cohen

Micah Cohen Screenwriter

...Another few months go by and I feel like bumping this thread back to life because I get this weird feeling that everyone on HTF hates me and hates RAISING ARIZONA enough to never even hint at any whiff of rumor that this film will ever see a decent DVD release so I can buy it, finally. No one even wants to talk about it!

I mean, is this really a major film that has slipped through the cracks and does not exist in any reasonably good form? Is it possible that The Coen Brothers and their studio are just against this film, hate it, enough to never release it? Can we have multiple releases of films that are not half as good as RAISING ARIZONA and not even mention it as a possible release someday, before the medium changes to, I don't know, direct-to-brain hi-def video downloads via USB inserted into our necks or something?

Where is this DVD?

WHERE?! [​IMG]

MC

14. Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson Cinematographer

I'll post something to reduce your frustrations.

Admittedly, this is not one of my favorite Coen Bros. movies, but I would gladly add it to my collection if a proper anamorphic disc is released. Right now, it's the only Coen missing from my collection except for that disasterous remake of "The Lady Killers" that I promptly sold after a single viewing.

15. BrettB

BrettB Producer

Bring on the BD damnit!

16. Bob Turnbull

Bob Turnbull Supporting Actor

Not much more to add but to say this is not only my fave Coens movie, but one of my all time favourites. I remember thinking "you can do that with a camera?" and all sorts of other things about stuff I'd never seen in a movie before. Granted, I hadn't seen a wide range at that point, but this film helped me to broaden my horizons by looking for movies with interesting characters, slightly bent storylines and different ways of telling a story.

I've been holding off getting the non-anamorphic version, but it's been awhile since I've seen it, so I may just scoop it up if I find it cheap.