What's new

Raising a sub off the floor...does it work? (1 Viewer)

Chad Sunderland

Stunt Coordinator
Hi, I just got a Dayton DLS 10" powered sub from Parts Express to replace my old Cerwin Vega 10" powered sub. This setup is in my bedroom, so space is kinda tight. Right now I have the CV wedged between my desk and the wall, and it fits pretty nice. The problem is, the DLS is a few inches wider, and I just can't get it into the same space. One place where it will blend in nicely in my room is on top of the back of my desk, if placed there...the port will be facing directly at the wall, and the sub will about 5 feet off the floor. Any ideas on how this would work? Does having the sub raised off the floor hinder the sound in anyway? I'm just asking this because every setup I have seen involves the sub on the floor, and usually in a corner. I would just put it there and try it, but I have a lot of stuff to move around first, so I thought I would ask for advice before I start tearing stuff apart. Thanks!
Chad

RussKon

Stunt Coordinator
i actually raised my velodyne ct-150 off of the floor about 8 inches...the bass got less "boomy" and more focused....you just really need to experiment in your room...

russ

BrianWoerndle

Supporting Actor
It doesn't get much worse than that for sub placement. It can be done, it just won't sound as good as it could. But it doesn't sound like you have much better of a choice.

Jose G

Supporting Actor
Here's what I think: If you try it in different spots just to see where it sounds best (and it will probably sound best in another location), you will be dissapointed that you aren't getting the most bang for your buck, but if you just place it where you need to place it, for lack of other options, you won't compare and it will sound just fine for you. Personally, I couldn't do that and would have to move it around just to know what sounds best, but if that's your only true option- don't. :D Now, it's a great little sub and can be used as a a little stand to put trinkets on. so if you can do that- do that ;) Either way, you'll love this little beast- I love mine. Hope t hear what you think of it soon and what you chose to do. Good luck- José

Bill W.

Stunt Coordinator
Stereophile Guide to Home Theater's Russ Hershellman (sp?) actually recommends having the sub off the floor if possible. (At least thats what I seem to remember)

I seem to recall that he feels it evens out room response. The article was in one of the most recent issues, maybe even the newest one. I'll see if I can find it and quote him directly.

Like all speaker placement, though, experimentation is in order to achieve best results!

Bill

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks