Raising a couch?

James~P

Stunt Coordinator
I want to increase seating in my room... how should I go about raising a couch up high enough for the people seated in it to see above those infront?

Should I just build a frame out of 2x4s and finish it with plywood?

Thanks.

Frank Zimkas

Supporting Actor
a 4" riser isn't going to be high enough. Try setting your couch on some blocks that are 8" tall and see how it looks from the "Cheap Seats/NoseBleed" section.

Frank Kanyak

Stunt Coordinator
I went about 6.6" for the first riser and 12.5" for the second riser...I should have went about 3-4" more on all of them...It's not that bad when it's only my kids, but when average adults sit there I see about 2" of there heads...Hope this helps you out...Check out my web-site...

KenA

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ken Appell
Ideal staircase riser height is seven inches. You want to keep your platform around that or you're probably going to have to add a step between it and your base floor. You should check local building regulations, but usually, the max height is around 8.5 inches.

Pus Suchre

Stunt Coordinator
When I make mine in another month or two- I will be using 2x10s, with 3/4" plywood on top and bottom- giving me 11 1/2" tall riser. I'm rather short and I HATE looking at the top of heads. So 11 1/2" dosn't seem too much in my case.

Pus Suchre

Stunt Coordinator
When I make mine in another month or two- I will be using 2x10s, with 3/4" plywood on top and bottom- giving me 11 1/2" tall riser. I'm rather short and I HATE looking at the top of heads. So 11 1/2" dosn't seem too much in my case.

Glen C

Stunt Coordinator
depending on screen size and height off floor, and viewing distance... you'll still want 10-12" on the riser above the row in front.

nothing is more annoying than seeing the back of someone's head while watching a movie

Glen C

Stunt Coordinator
depending on screen size and height off floor, and viewing distance... you'll still want 10-12" on the riser above the row in front.

nothing is more annoying than seeing the back of someone's head while watching a movie

ace peterson

Second Unit
I used 2x8's topped with 3/4" cdx plywood. I also built a platform for my 50" Toshiba widescreen to sit on. That platform is approximately 12" high. It works great.

If I had the space in my HT, I would make the riser for the couch about 4" higher and add a wide step.

Good luck!

ace peterson

Second Unit
I used 2x8's topped with 3/4" cdx plywood. I also built a platform for my 50" Toshiba widescreen to sit on. That platform is approximately 12" high. It works great.

If I had the space in my HT, I would make the riser for the couch about 4" higher and add a wide step.

Good luck!

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An Elvis Fan