What's new

Raise The Titanic (1980) -- 20th Fox anytime soon? (1 Viewer)

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
The 1980 CBS/FOX movie Raise The Titanic with Jason Robarts, Richard Jordan, David Selby, and Anne Archer is available in the UK and Germany on DVD (probably elsewhere also). When will we see this in Region 1?

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
The film was a Lew Grade production so would that make it an Artisan title if it were to get a DVD release?

The film has one of John Barry's greatest scores and some good FX but unfortunately it is a horrific adaptation of Clive Cussler's magnificent novel, so bad that it made Cussler refuse to sell any of his novels to Hollywood again for more than two decades.

Since Titanic-mania has cooled off in the last couple years, I can't imagine a groundswell that would lead to this getting released, though a widescreen version would be nice.

Malcolm Cleugh

Second Unit
The UK R2 PAL release from Carlton (who own the ITC catalogue) is disappointing. Although its anamorphic widescreen the picture has been cropped from 2.35 to 1.78

At least it makes a change from most Carlton releases where they are cropped to p/s 4.3

Scott-L

Agent
It's a tragedy that the movie angered Clive Cussler so much (although I do agree with him). The whole series of Dirk Pitt novels would have made some of the greatest action-adventure movies ever made (in the right hands).

RobertW

Supporting Actor
if Sahara does end up being made, then i would assume you would see a dvd release of Raise the Titanic when Sahara comes out on dvd.

unfortunately, news about Sahara is not good at the moment. as Scott pointed out, the horrible adaptation of Raise the Titanic caused Clive Cussler to vow thet he would never sell the rights to another of his books. a few years ago, he finally relented and sold the rights to Sahara, and i believe the option rights to two more books(Treasure and Night Probe) to Crusader Entertainment. as a condition, Cussler retained full casting, director, and script approval.

unfortunately, Crusader doesn't appear to be willing to live by their agreement. due to circumstances, Penelope Cruz was cast, despite Cussler not really wanting her for the role, but the spanish government insisted on a native spaniard casting in return for location filming rights. but even worse, Crusader has begun second unit filming despite not having a Cussler approved script yet. some of the changes are downright disgusting. Crusader, who at the time of the signing billed themselves as devoted to wholesome family entertainment, have a scene in the script that purportedly takes place in a strip club, with frontal nudity prominently featured. i believe they also want gratuitous profanity, which cussler highly objects to.

in the latest turn, Clive Cussler has sued Crusader, charging breach of their contract, and wants all work on Sahara ended, and the termination of the future film options. we'll have to see how it all plays out in court.

personally, i will say as a huge fan of the books, that i would prefer to see no movie made than to have another bastardization done as occurred with Raise the Titanic. if Sahara is made without Cussler's input, i would probably see it on cable or rental, but there is no way i would pay to see it in the theater. and another poor box office of a Cussler book would spell the doom for any future Dirk Pitt films. as Scott also said, in the right hands, these films would be critical and commercial blockbusters.

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
The R2 PAL release is, as Malcolm says, cropped. It's also pretty dull and has massive moire problems. Don't bother with this release, unless you're desperate.

Mike_Richardson

Supporting Actor
Unfortunately there was never a widescreen LD ever released (even the Japanese LD was cropped I believe).

The Carlton R2 disc is indeed 1.78, but the transfer is nice and the stereo sound is decent....it's better than nothing if you have a multi region player.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
I didn't know about Cussler's feelings on this either.

Exactly. I was so excited to see that flick after reading the book, and so crushed by disappointment. Terrible terrible adaptation...

JonSpice

Stunt Coordinator
I have the German only DVD R2, I have the sound muted and watch a silent movie, except when I know there will be music and I have the CD of Barry ready to go. I would like to trade it with a german american to hear it in his native tongue. The Disc is a 1.85:1 the disc doesn't have english subtitles, just the german language from men or woman that speaks for Anne Archer.:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks