Raise the Red Lantern

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Ralph Jenkins, Jun 21, 2004.

1. Ralph Jenkins

Ralph Jenkins Stunt Coordinator

After viewing a couple of other films by the director, Zhang Yimou, I wanted to check out this highly regarded earlier film of his. It seems the movie was released in R3, but even that version is now out of print (plus it was apparently non-anamorphic with subtitles burned into the print).

I would think that with Hero finally coming out in the U.S. this summer, now would be a good time to release it. Or maybe whomever owns the rights is waiting for a tie-in with the upcoming House of Flying Daggers...

Does anyone know what's up with this title?

2. Ralph Jenkins

Ralph Jenkins Stunt Coordinator

After viewing a couple of other films by the director, Zhang Yimou, I wanted to check out this highly regarded earlier film of his. It seems the movie was released in R3, but even that version is now out of print (plus it was apparently non-anamorphic with subtitles burned into the print).

I would think that with Hero finally coming out in the U.S. this summer, now would be a good time to release it. Or maybe whomever owns the rights is waiting for a tie-in with the upcoming House of Flying Daggers...

Does anyone know what's up with this title?

3. LanieParker

LanieParker Supporting Actor

Is this the movie about that young girl who married a man that had several other wives and whenever he wanted to be with one of them they put a red lantern in front of her house?

If it is the one I am thinking of... the VHS version I have is called The Red Lantern. I absolutely love this film. The actors/actresses are incredible in it.

I would love to get this on dvd.

4. LanieParker

LanieParker Supporting Actor

Is this the movie about that young girl who married a man that had several other wives and whenever he wanted to be with one of them they put a red lantern in front of her house?

If it is the one I am thinking of... the VHS version I have is called The Red Lantern. I absolutely love this film. The actors/actresses are incredible in it.

I would love to get this on dvd.

5. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

As I write every time this film is mentioned in a thread, it's criminal that there isn't a R1 DVD. This is, in my mind, one of the greatest films of the last 25 years.

6. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

As I write every time this film is mentioned in a thread, it's criminal that there isn't a R1 DVD. This is, in my mind, one of the greatest films of the last 25 years.

7. JohnDMoore

JohnDMoore Stunt Coordinator

Amen. I heard the R3 was awful, but this movie in any form might be worth importing...

8. JohnDMoore

JohnDMoore Stunt Coordinator

Amen. I heard the R3 was awful, but this movie in any form might be worth importing...

9. andrew markworthy

I've a copy of the R3 version, and it's not v. good. The only thing that consoles me is that it cost under £5.

I agree with the above comments - this is a movie that deserves a decent release. Although the plot and acting are superb, it's the synthesis of these *and* the cinematography which makes this movie so memorable.

10. andrew markworthy

I've a copy of the R3 version, and it's not v. good. The only thing that consoles me is that it cost under £5.

I agree with the above comments - this is a movie that deserves a decent release. Although the plot and acting are superb, it's the synthesis of these *and* the cinematography which makes this movie so memorable.

11. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Cinematographer

This is my favorite Gong Li film, and I wish we had a good R1 release.

12. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Cinematographer

This is my favorite Gong Li film, and I wish we had a good R1 release.

13. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

Hopefully, the domestic theatrical release of Hero will inspire folks to develop interest in the other great films of Yi-mou Zhang.

I love Ju Dou, Shanghai Triad, Red Sorghum and Hero, and have yet to see some of the other stuff.

14. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

Hopefully, the domestic theatrical release of Hero will inspire folks to develop interest in the other great films of Yi-mou Zhang.

I love Ju Dou, Shanghai Triad, Red Sorghum and Hero, and have yet to see some of the other stuff.

15. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

Only that it needs a loving & decent release somewhere! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

16. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    There is an all region version available on hkflix.com. I used to own the now OOP version distributed by ERA but the quality was pretty bad. I traded it off because I actually thought the VHS tape looked better! I agree with others that this deserves a decent release. I was glad when "To Live" finally came out, another great film with the beautiful Gong Li. Can you believe I actually worked for a woman who looked like her?

17. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

Lucky you!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

18. Cameron Yee

Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    Yeah, maybe it's a good thing I didn't realize how beautiful she was at the time since I was in high school. My attraction to Asians was pretty much non-existent at the time - oh the trials of growing up in the absence of an Asian community!

19. Cameron Yee

Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    On the topic of Gong Li, here's the trailer to her upcoming "Zhou Yu's Train." The juxtaposition of the train through the tunnel and the romance is kind of funny. Didn't think people were still using that metaphor.

http://www.apple.com/trailers/sony/zhou_yus_train.html

And in honor of Gong Li, I've changed my sig pic.

20. Gary Tooze

Gary Tooze Producer

Yes, it is reviewed HERE with screen captures.

Zhang Yimou is my favorite director.

Regards,