What's new

Raise the Red Lantern (1 Viewer)

Ralph Jenkins

Stunt Coordinator
After viewing a couple of other films by the director, Zhang Yimou, I wanted to check out this highly regarded earlier film of his. It seems the movie was released in R3, but even that version is now out of print (plus it was apparently non-anamorphic with subtitles burned into the print).

I would think that with Hero finally coming out in the U.S. this summer, now would be a good time to release it. Or maybe whomever owns the rights is waiting for a tie-in with the upcoming House of Flying Daggers...

Does anyone know what's up with this title?

Ralph Jenkins

Stunt Coordinator
After viewing a couple of other films by the director, Zhang Yimou, I wanted to check out this highly regarded earlier film of his. It seems the movie was released in R3, but even that version is now out of print (plus it was apparently non-anamorphic with subtitles burned into the print).

I would think that with Hero finally coming out in the U.S. this summer, now would be a good time to release it. Or maybe whomever owns the rights is waiting for a tie-in with the upcoming House of Flying Daggers...

Does anyone know what's up with this title?

LanieParker

Supporting Actor
Is this the movie about that young girl who married a man that had several other wives and whenever he wanted to be with one of them they put a red lantern in front of her house?

If it is the one I am thinking of... the VHS version I have is called The Red Lantern. I absolutely love this film. The actors/actresses are incredible in it.

I would love to get this on dvd.

LanieParker

Supporting Actor
Is this the movie about that young girl who married a man that had several other wives and whenever he wanted to be with one of them they put a red lantern in front of her house?

If it is the one I am thinking of... the VHS version I have is called The Red Lantern. I absolutely love this film. The actors/actresses are incredible in it.

I would love to get this on dvd.

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
As I write every time this film is mentioned in a thread, it's criminal that there isn't a R1 DVD. This is, in my mind, one of the greatest films of the last 25 years.

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
As I write every time this film is mentioned in a thread, it's criminal that there isn't a R1 DVD. This is, in my mind, one of the greatest films of the last 25 years.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
I've a copy of the R3 version, and it's not v. good. The only thing that consoles me is that it cost under £5.

I agree with the above comments - this is a movie that deserves a decent release. Although the plot and acting are superb, it's the synthesis of these *and* the cinematography which makes this movie so memorable.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
I've a copy of the R3 version, and it's not v. good. The only thing that consoles me is that it cost under £5.

I agree with the above comments - this is a movie that deserves a decent release. Although the plot and acting are superb, it's the synthesis of these *and* the cinematography which makes this movie so memorable.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
This is my favorite Gong Li film, and I wish we had a good R1 release.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
This is my favorite Gong Li film, and I wish we had a good R1 release.

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Hopefully, the domestic theatrical release of Hero will inspire folks to develop interest in the other great films of Yi-mou Zhang.

I love Ju Dou, Shanghai Triad, Red Sorghum and Hero, and have yet to see some of the other stuff.

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Hopefully, the domestic theatrical release of Hero will inspire folks to develop interest in the other great films of Yi-mou Zhang.

I love Ju Dou, Shanghai Triad, Red Sorghum and Hero, and have yet to see some of the other stuff.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member

Only that it needs a loving & decent release somewhere! :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
There is an all region version available on hkflix.com. I used to own the now OOP version distributed by ERA but the quality was pretty bad. I traded it off because I actually thought the VHS tape looked better! I agree with others that this deserves a decent release. I was glad when "To Live" finally came out, another great film with the beautiful Gong Li. Can you believe I actually worked for a woman who looked like her?

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Yeah, maybe it's a good thing I didn't realize how beautiful she was at the time since I was in high school. My attraction to Asians was pretty much non-existent at the time - oh the trials of growing up in the absence of an Asian community!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks