Rainy Days

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tommy G, Aug 21, 2001.

1. Tommy G

Tommy G Screenwriter

We have been experiencing a few rainy days in a row here on the east coast and I have been noticing that every time it rains here the signal gets lost. I don't remember this happening last year but wanted to know if this is normal or should I call someone to take a look and see if my dish is getting the most optimal signal possible. Any thoughts?

2. Mike I

Mike I Supporting Actor

If you have been noticing an increase in rain fade, check your signal strenghts and all your connections....I only experience brief rain fade only during some of the worse summer storms and than again it is only brief right when the storm is about to hit and coming from certain directions...
    ------------------

3. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

I second Mike's idea. I think your dish got hit by a bird or something and is a degree off. It has to be really pouring before I lose my signal.

4. Tommy G

Tommy G Screenwriter

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll take a look at the % tonight and if it is not up in the 90's, I'll make the call to have someone readjust it.

5. Tommy G

Tommy G Screenwriter

I actually just checked this out and found out that I am about 80 on signal strength for 119 and around 65 for 110. This seems like it is way out of wack. Tell me if I'm wrong. [​IMG] Has anyone had to have someone come out and if so, how much does it cost?

6. Mike I

Mike I Supporting Actor

Tommy..
    Those signal strengths are definately the reason you are having a more than usual rain fade problem..Im not sure what it costs to have your dishes repointed but it is not difficult to do....
    ------------------

7. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Tommy, you're not ok doing it by yourself? I know some people can't handle it, but all you need is a wrench and a second person. Ok, maybe a mallet too.
    If the right nuts are loosened just a little bit, a gentle tap with a mallet or your palm will move the dish. Someone by your TV can let you know what the signal is doing. Probably less than 1/4 of an inch, but I don't know which way.
    Glenn

8. Tommy G

Tommy G Screenwriter

Thanks for all your input on this. I'll be trying it out this weekend. Have to make sure I get it done before football season! [​IMG]

9. Jeff R.

Jeff R. Stunt Coordinator

I think I've also seen in-line satellite strength meters that will allow you to do it pretty quickly by yourself. I personally don't like to get up on the roof so I would probably feel more confortable hiring it out even though it is a pretty easy task.

10. Oswald Pascual

Oswald Pascual Second Unit

How well do those inline meters work?
    I am getting into this Sat business real soon and am currently considering the new panasonic box for my HD set, but one of the draw backs is that it does not have a meter built in and requires an outside meter. Is this actually easier than having to people and does it work well?
    Ozzie