What's new

RAINTREE COUNTY on Blu? (1 Viewer)

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
This is from the Film Forum's Facebook page, posted 14 hours ago:

Mark your calendars! MONTGOMERY CLIFT, a 2-week festival celebrating the iconic actor who forged an independent path in 1940s and ‘50s Hollywood, and redefined masculinity in post-war America, will open on Friday, June 3. ❤️‍🔥
The series includes all of Clift’s major movies, including A PLACE IN THE SUN, RED RIVER, FROM HERE TO ETERNITY, RAINTREE COUNTY, SUDDENLY, LAST SUMMER, THE SEARCH, & FREUD.
Do you happen to have the link?

None of these films are showing up on the calendar: https://filmforum.org/coming_soon

Edit: Nevermind, found the post on FB. I guess they haven't added them to the calendar yet.

Last edited:

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Which size and aspect ratio is that screen?
I bet that it will still beat most of our home theaters :)

I haven't been there in over 10 years, but I don't believe the layout has changed. The auditorium where they now run repertory seats 120, I think that screen tops out at 15 feet wide and is high on the wall. IIRC, it's a 1.85 screen with drop-down masking for scope. The theatre complex itself has all the charm of a parking garage (its former use).

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
I haven't been there in over 10 years, but I don't believe the layout has changed. The auditorium where they now run repertory seats 120, I think that screen tops out at 15 feet wide and is high on the wall. IIRC, it's a 1.85 screen with drop-down masking for scope. The theatre complex itself has all the charm of a parking garage (its former use).
Ouch, indeed I know a bunch of home theaters with bigger screens than that.
I was lucky to be able to watch Raintree County on a ca. 40ft screen ca. 2008 but the print only had an optical soundtrack.

They seem to have changed some things since you were there the last time and they now apparently have 4 screens:
In 2018, Film Forum raised $5 million to renovate and expand its Houston Street cinema, upgrading the seating, legroom, and sightlines in all theaters and adding a new, 4th screen.

ptb2017fr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul Bale
I live in France where in the nearby town they opened a new three screen theatre and all three screens have enormous wall to wall screens in spite of one of them having a small audience capacity. Remember going into a screen in central London that was so small I turned straight round and demanded my money back.

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
I live in France where in the nearby town they opened a new three screen theatre and all three screens have enormous wall to wall screens in spite of one of them having a small audience capacity. Remember going into a screen in central London that was so small I turned straight round and demanded my money back.
My one and only experience seeing Cleopatra on the big screen was during the film's 50th anniversary theatrical reissue in 2013 while I was living in London. I saw it at the Curzon Mayfair, a beautiful venue, but they played it on the smaller of the two screens, the size of which felt like a glorified home theatre.

usrunnr

Writer
Real Name
usrunnr
I saw Cleopatra with my family first run, first weekend, at the Pantages Theater in Hollywood. I was pretty young, but I remember the screen was pretty big. I loved the film, but my parents preferred "How the West Was Won" which we had also recently seen at the Warner's Cinerama down the street. I have a picture of the Pantages at the time. I'll try to find it.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
My one and only experience seeing Cleopatra on the big screen was during the film's 50th anniversary theatrical reissue in 2013 while I was living in London. I saw it at the Curzon Mayfair, a beautiful venue, but they played it on the smaller of the two screens, the size of which felt like a glorified home theatre.
15ft would be a very big screen for a home theater where it will probably dominate the room and a very small screen for a movie theater where it will often be situated in a room that is wider and a lot taller and somehow get lost.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
I saw Cleopatra with my family first run, first weekend, at the Pantages Theater in Hollywood. I was pretty young, but I remember the screen was pretty big. I loved the film, but my parents preferred "How the West Was Won" which we had also recently seen at the Warner's Cinerama down the street. I have a picture of the Pantages at the time. I'll try to find it.
1653255807583.png

1c.jpg

ptb2017fr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul Bale
I saw it at the Dominion Tottenham Court Road which had been upgraded for the ToddAo screenings. It had a huge screen and they showed the full length four hour version. I loved it with the exception that Cleopatra couldn’t enter Rome through the arch of Titus which wasn’t built for another hundred years!
The Warner Leicester Square and the Odeon both have dreadful smaller screens that make you wonder why you bother leaving home.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Wonderful venue. Screen size is its only negative, and it’s fine for many films.
It is strange that there is no mention of screen sizes anywhere for so many movie theaters.

I can understand people who feel that screens below a certain size simply are not that well suited for the likes of Lawrence of Arabia, Ben-Hur or in this case Raintree County.

trajan007

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Larry C Bender
I saw it at the Dominion Tottenham Court Road which had been upgraded for the ToddAo screenings. It had a huge screen and they showed the full length four hour version. I loved it with the exception that Cleopatra couldn’t enter Rome through the arch of Titus which wasn’t built for another hundred years!
The Warner Leicester Square and the Odeon both have dreadful smaller screens that make you wonder why you bother leaving home.
The arch shown in CLEOPATRA is the arch of Constantine which Cleopatra never would of seen.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks