What's new

RAINTREE COUNTY on Blu? (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Everything being said about a potential restoration is accurate.

Re-cut 65mm origination. Faded. Re-cut YCMs. Faded 35mm positive(s) of long version. I believe audio is fine.

I’ve studied the cutting sheets, and in most cases the trims are minor. In others, not so much.

I’m happy to post them here, if there’s an interest, but they only tell an extremely technical version of the tale of two Raintrees.

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
I just wanted to let you guys know...

I have no personal stake in RAINTREE COUNTY. Have seen it only once. I really liked it. Have not become as attached to it as many of you have.

That being said, I have always had a soft spot for this title due to the fact it has such a large fan base on this forum. I am well aware of all the posts that go on here and enjoy reading them.

So, I did have a recent conversation with someone of influence over at Warner Bros. and I went out of my way to mention this title and find out if release consideration could be given.

Basically, the answer I received was not completely negative. It's a title that has always been in their thoughts. The individual I talked to seemed to be pleased that I mentioned it and confirmed the film's historical value and fanbase but did mention that it wasn't a huge success and *perhaps* one of the smaller reasons it has not been released.

However, the bigger picture that is cited in the review with George Feltenstein still seems to remain the present obstacle. I would imagine (and these are my thoughts) that this would be a huge restoration effort during a time when Blu-ray sales for these kinds of titles are dwindling and the studio really needs to weigh the costs vs. profit ratio.

I am not speaking on behalf of anyone at the studio. This was just a casual conversation we were having about film and I made a point of bringing this up in hopes of putting a "buzzword" in the studio's ear. I am just not confident (and these again are my thoughts) in this present climate that we are going to see a restored version anytime soon. However, anything is possible.

Ron, thank you for taking the time to speak to your connection at Warner Bros about Raintree County and expressing this forum's interest in the film. I'm glad that they haven't completely ruled it out, even if present circumstances don't allow for it. It seems as though huge strides in technology have enabled them to bring previously unviable films to Blu-ray and, as George Feltenstein said on the podcast last year, it's a problem he'd like to solve, so perhaps one day it may happen.

And I will certainly let you know the next time TCM has it scheduled. I'm not seeing anything at present, but they tend to show it a few times a year.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Ron, thank you for taking the time to speak to your connection at Warner Bros about Raintree County and expressing this forum's interest in the film. I'm glad that they haven't completely ruled it out, even if present circumstances don't allow for it. It seems as though huge strides in technology have enabled them to bring previously unviable films to Blu-ray and, as George Feltenstein said on the podcast last year, it's a problem he'd like to solve, so perhaps one day it may happen.

And I will certainly let you know the next time TCM has it scheduled. I'm not seeing anything at present, but they tend to show it a few times a year.

I appreciate that!

Last edited:

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Screen Shot 2021-04-28 at 7.51.21 AM.png

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks