What's new

RAINTREE COUNTY on Blu? (1 Viewer)

john a hunter

Screenwriter
Wasn't the script totally different to the novel in that it was in linear order?
I think the first time author committed suicide well before production of the film caused by, it is said, of being unable
to face up to fame and the high expectations for a second book.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Wasn't the script totally different to the novel in that it was in linear order?
I think the first time author committed suicide well before production of the film caused by, it is said, of being unable
to face up to fame and the high expectations for a second book.
True on both counts.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Happy Eva Marie Saint Day on TCM! RAINTREE airs TONIGHT at 12:30 am ET!

View attachment 77666

Yes, it's the 167 minute version that they have shown previously. The roadshow version was 188 minutes.

RAINTREE COUNTY ROADSHOW CUTS: 14 minutes, 48 seconds (plus overture and intermission music)
-Nell and Garwood after graduation - 40 seconds
-Swamp 58 seconds
-Professor and John in cornfield 71 seconds
-John and Father illegitimacy discussion 1 minute, 53 seconds
-John, Bobby Drake and slave 2 minutes, 16 seconds
-John , Niles unfulfilled ambition 1 minute, 46 seconds [key scene]
-John going to homestead and Susanna in labor 55 seconds [the lead in uses an alternate take as well]
-John's Search in Indianapolis, visit to Garwood, photographer and Decision to enlist 4 minutes, 34 seconds
-Susanna's Decision and Search for the doll 35 seconds

gjn123

Agent
Real Name
Brendan Brennan
“Raintree County”, I’m afraid is a very dull film, plodding along like molasses and filled with poorly written and motivated characters. The performances are undistinguished and Clift looks off kilter a good deal of the time. The considerable supporting cast is totally wasted. The only element that shines is Johnny Green’s lovely score. It is nice to look at, but not worth spending a fortune to restore.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
AC5ED445-F6CC-49A3-82C3-E4CBFA79E508.jpeg

This was my Mother’s copy published in 1948 and 1060 pages long. Over the years, I’ve read it twice.

DeanHarris

Agent
Real Name
Dean Harris
Sometime in the 1990s, I believe, Book of the Month Club had a separate club for first edition reproductions. The books were exact replicas of the first edition of classic books. I picked up Raintree County back then. The only thing they missed was the tree on the front cover as in the previous post. It's nice to have.

IMG_0827.jpeg
62059293500__B21BB406-61C9-47D4-950D-47AF15FBA2E7.jpeg

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
View attachment 77760

This was my Mother’s copy published in 1948 and 1060 pages long. Over the years, I’ve read it twice.
That looks like the copy I have. I read it once and liked it very much. Very clever how the author takes one day in the life of our hero (4 July 1876) and weaves in and out of that day to tell his past history. Much, much richer than the film.

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
Slightly off-topic, but a handful of Elizabeth Taylor films will start streaming on HBOMax tomorrow, September 1st, including these four which have never been released on Blu-ray:

Lassie Come Home
Life with Father
Little Women
BUtterfield 8

If someone can take a look and let me know whether they look like new masters and potential candidates for Warner Archive Blu-ray releases, I'd be very grateful. I'm in Canada and we don't get HBOMax here.

Thanks! :)

Dan_Shane

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan Shane
Sometime in the 1990s, I believe, Book of the Month Club had a separate club for first edition reproductions. The books were exact replicas of the first edition of classic books. I picked up Raintree County back then. The only thing they missed was the tree on the front cover as in the previous post. It's nice to have.

Okay, you forced me to go searching for a decent hardcover edition of the book, which I eventually found. It's all your fault!

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
Slightly off-topic, but a handful of Elizabeth Taylor films will start streaming on HBOMax tomorrow, September 1st, including these four which have never been released on Blu-ray:

Lassie Come Home
Life with Father
Little Women
BUtterfield 8

If someone can take a look and let me know whether they look like new masters and potential candidates for Warner Archive Blu-ray releases, I'd be very grateful. I'm in Canada and we don't get HBOMax here.

Thanks! :)
LIFE WITH FATHER and LITTLE WOMEN look like new transfers. Nary a speckle or mark on either of them.

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
LIFE WITH FATHER and LITTLE WOMEN look like new transfers. Nary a speckle or mark on either of them.

Life with Father was one of four films added in September that are flagged on HBOMax's website as being newly remastered. I have the HD digital of Little Women and agree, it's gorgeous, but I'm not sure if the WAC will use it for a Blu-ray because they tend to release discs with brand new masters.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
Sadly, I missed the TCM Raintree broadcast. I did pull it up from the free TCM "on demand" option. What I found was a horrible 4:3 "widescreen" mess with massive black borders as one finds on many cheapo pseudo-scope DVDs. Just wondering if anyone knows about an existant true HD streaming option for the film. Any help would be appreciated.

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
Sadly, I missed the TCM Raintree broadcast. I did pull it up from the free TCM "on demand" option. What I found was a horrible 4:3 "widescreen" mess with massive black borders as one finds on many cheapo pseudo-scope DVDs. Just wondering if anyone knows about an existant true HD streaming option for the film. Any help would be appreciated.

I'm sorry you missed it, Ed. Unfortunately, I don't believe it's streaming anywhere at the moment. It was on the new defunct FilmStruck for a time. Warners has never made it available for streaming elsewhere.

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
I'm sorry you missed it, Ed. Unfortunately, I don't believe it's streaming anywhere at the moment. It was on the new defunct FilmStruck for a time. Warners has never made it available for streaming elsewhere.
You have to wonder why Warner has such a disdain for the film ?? It must be popular on TCM as they show it periodically. A friend DVR'D it on disc for me about eight years ago. Have not taken the time to watch again. As was hoping for a BR to be out by this time. Again I still have hope one of my faves "One Eyed Jacks" finally made it to BR. Eventually RC will make it, maybe if Scorcese gets behind it, like he did "OEJ" ?

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
You have to wonder why Warner has such a disdain for the film ?? It must be popular on TCM as they show it periodically. A friend DVR'D it on disc for me about eight years ago. Have not taken the time to watch again. As was hoping for a BR to be out by this time. Again I still have hope one of my faves "One Eyed Jacks" finally made it to BR. Eventually RC will make it, maybe if Scorcese gets behind it, like he did "OEJ" ?

Yes, TCM tends to air Raintree about two or three times a year... not bad for a three hour film. You should try and catch the next broadcast. The HD version they show, while being the shorter theatrical cut, is a pretty big leap in video quality over what they were previously showing, which is what your friend would have recorded for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks