What's new

RAINTREE COUNTY on Blu? (2 Viewers)

cinemel1

Second Unit
Real Name
Mel Matsil
she was a talented lady. Took a long time for people to realise this, thinking her as little more than a British Marilyn Monroe look a like. Her performance in Yield To The Night was the eye opener For many. She played woman about to be hanged for killing her lover in crime of passion, like real life Ruth Ellis, last woman hanged In Britain. Dors is terrific in the powerful anti death penalty film.

cinemel1

Second Unit
Real Name
Mel Matsil
TCM had a full day of Diana Dors films. I watched a couple of them. The Unholy Wife was pretty good. The Long Haul with Victor Mature & directed by Ken Hughws was also decent.

On the main topic, Raintree County, although not well received by critics and audiences on its release, had lots to recommend it. Tops on my list was Johnny Green‘s majestic score. Production values were also top notch. BTW, it’s being shown August 29 at 9:30 EST on TCM.
I don’t know if its the uncut version. They usually show the shortened version.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
TCM had a full day of Diana Dors films. I watched a couple of them. The Unholy Wife was pretty good. The Long Haul with Victor Mature & directed by Ken Hughws was also decent.

On the main topic, Raintree County, although not well received by critics and audiences on its release, had lots to recommend it. Tops on my list was Johnny Green‘s majestic score. Production values were also top notch. BTW, it’s being shown August 29 at 9:30 EST on TCM.
Diana Dors was the star of an Alfred Hitchcock Hour I watched a few weeks ago; she played a nightclub singer involved in some crime or other, and as I listened to her singing a couple of songs, I wondered who her voice double was. After researching, I learned to my great surprise that she was a vocalist of some note in Great Britain and didn't need a voice double for the song sequences. She had a fine voice.

marcco00

Supporting Actor
Real Name
marc
yes that's what i know her from too! and of course her glamour shots!

i am realizing that she was her own strong distinct personality, not like our magical Marilyn, but

potent like a shot of whiskey!

and a very strong actress! she'd been in the business since she was 15 and she was a pro!!

i'm going to enjoy her movies, all new to me & all english films from 1955 to 1959

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille

1957.jpg

I'm just hoping when it's released on Blu-ray we get the full MGM Camera 65 "Window of the World" image.

TCM broadcast
rc3.jpg

Full MGM Camera 65 image
rcll.jpg

Last edited:

DVBRD

Second Unit
Real Name
Andy
View attachment 77613

I'm just hoping when it's released on Blu-ray we get the full MGM Camera 65 "Window of the World" image.

TCM broadcast
View attachment 77614

Full MGM Camera 65 image
View attachment 77615

I kinda think it'll be from a 35mm source. George Feltenstein said that they were going to use the same 35mm road show print that was released on VHS in the 90s for a DVD master but the color has faded significantly that it hiked up the restoration costs.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
I kinda think it'll be from a 35mm source. George Feltenstein said that they were going to use the same 35mm road show print that was released on VHS in the 90s for a DVD master but the color has faded significantly that it hiked up the restoration costs.

I hope they do something like what was done for the South Pacific and It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World Blu-rays. Show the full image from the 65mm negative general release and insert the roadshow scenes from the 35mm roadshow,

ptb2020

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul Trevor Bale
yes that's what i know her from too! and of course her glamour shots!

i am realizing that she was her own strong distinct personality, not like our magical Marilyn, but

potent like a shot of whiskey!

and a very strong actress! she'd been in the business since she was 15 and she was a pro!!

i'm going to enjoy her movies, all new to me & all english films from 1955 to 1959
Make sure you see Yield To The Night in which she plays woman condemned to hang after a crime of passion. She is simply wonderful in it, looking far from glamorous at times. She was indeed as you say a distinct personality, a strong lady and by all accounts a really nice one. She managed to steal most films she was in effortlessly.

ptb2020

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul Trevor Bale

marcco00

Supporting Actor
Real Name
marc
Make sure you see Yield To The Night in which she plays woman condemned to hang after a crime of passion. She is simply wonderful in it, looking far from glamorous at times. She was indeed as you say a distinct personality, a strong lady and by all accounts a really nice one. She managed to steal most films she was in effortlessly.
yes i got it's on it way here, thanx!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks