What's new

RAINTREE COUNTY on Blu? (1 Viewer)

DVBRD

Second Unit
Real Name
Andy
Actually, they did it on The Man Who Knew Too Much.

They put the Paramount logo back on that movie, too. At the beginning, though. The end of it still had the Universal logo. I know this because I saw the movie on cable recently.

DVBRD

Second Unit
Real Name
Andy
How about that Italian PAL "Cinema & Cultura" DVD now for sale at Amazon for $17.84, which is titled L'Albero Della Vita and is listed as a 16:9/2.35:1 disc. It's the 160 minute version and I heard somewhere that it's not a bad transfer. I'm just wondering if anyone here owns it or has more info about it. I'll probably give it a shot sometime soon, although I'm skeptical. Just bought too many "pigs in a poke" lately, like the Spanish "blu-ray" of Lady in a Cage (which looks like crap for Hi Def). Wish I could, indeed, buy a disc somewhere of that BBC HD version broadcast about a year ago. Now THAT looked great!

I have a hard time believing that this is anything but a pirated DVD.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
One Eyed Jacks is in the public domain; Universal takes a lot of risk doing a restoration on such titles because anyone can steal it and put it out as their own. You can in many instances copyright a restoration but you need to be able to prove that your new restoration is what’s being copied if you want to take someone to court over it. Making the logo more prominent can help thwart those efforts by bootleggers.

If a studio feels the need to make their logo more prominent in exchange for doing financially risky work which may never pay for itself, I’ll take that deal every time.

DVBRD

Second Unit
Real Name
Andy
One Eyed Jacks is in the public domain; Universal takes a lot of risk doing a restoration on such titles because anyone can steal it and put it out as their own. You can in many instances copyright a restoration but you need to be able to prove that your new restoration is what’s being copied if you want to take someone to court over it. Making the logo more prominent can help thwart those efforts by bootleggers.

If a studio feels the need to make their logo more prominent in exchange for doing financially risky work which may never pay for itself, I’ll take that deal every time.

I thought that more effort is needed before a "derivative work" could be copyrighted. (You know, colorizing a black-and-white movie, altering the soundtrack, even pan-and-scanning a movie?)

OliverK

Senior HTF Member

I agree with you regarding Universal having every right to protect their restoration but they do actually hold the rights for One Eyed Jacks. This is mentioned briefly by Martin Scorsese here starting at the 8:20 mark:

Park Circus also lists Universal as the rights holder:

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
Liz Taylor on Montogomery Clift:

She also speaks about his car accident during the shooting of Raintree County. That must have been tough!

Thanks for posting, Oliver! This is a snippet of the BBC documentary, England's Other Elizabeth, which was produced to coincide with Elizabeth being invested as a Dame Commander of the Order of the British Empire by Queen Elizabeth II in 2000. It was released on DVD, but sadly is long out of print.

Reactions: PMF

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for posting, Oliver! This is a snippet of the BBC documentary, England's Other Elizabeth, which was produced to coincide with Elizabeth being invested as a Dame Commander of the Order of the British Empire by Queen Elizabeth II in 2000. It was released on DVD, but sadly is long out of print.
I should have known that you know all about it :)

The documentary would make a nice extra in a Liz Taylor boxset with Raintree County and the other Liz Taylor movies where Warner holds the rights.

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
I should have known that you know all about it :)

The documentary would make a nice extra in a Liz Taylor boxset with Raintree County and the other Liz Taylor movies where Warner holds the rights.

Love that idea! While I'd love to see as many of her Warner owned films released as possible, here are a handful that I think are likely candidates: Lassie Come Home, National Velvet, Little Women, Ivanhoe, BUtterfield 8, The V.I.P.s, and The Sandpiper.

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
George Feltenstein addresses a viewer question about Raintree County around the 32 minute mark on this week's Warner Archive Podcast.

I'll try and transcribe his response later, but he spends about five minutes going into the complications of potentially bringing this film to Blu-ray. He says that they're between a rock and a hard place and that it would be a seven figure cost even to bring the 65mm general release version to Blu-ray (unless I missed it, he doesn't explore the possibility of using the 35mm general release cut or what that would cost). George concludes his answer by saying that while at this time there isn't a way to make the expense it would cost to restore this film profitable, WAC has been able to bring films to Blu-ray they previously never thought possible, so never say never and this is a problem he would like to solve.

marcco00

Supporting Actor
Real Name
marc
the elements of this film- and many others- are continuing to deteriorate with each passing

day, and could be lost forever to future generations.

if only film were treated more like works of art in need of restoration... but we are not there

yet

DVBRD

Second Unit
Real Name
Andy
George Feltenstein addresses a viewer question about Raintree County around the 32 minute mark on this week's Warner Archive Podcast.

I'll try and transcribe his response later, but he spends about five minutes going into the complications of potentially bringing this film to Blu-ray. He says that they're between a rock and a hard place and that it would be a seven figure cost even to bring the 65mm general release version to Blu-ray (unless I missed it, he doesn't explore the possibility of using the 35mm general release cut or what that would cost). George concludes his answer by saying that while at this time there isn't a way to make the expense it would cost to restore this film profitable, WAC has been able to bring films to Blu-ray they previously never thought possible, so never say never and this is a problem he would like to solve.

Feltenstein seems to be interested in restoring the film from the 35mm roadshow print, but the color is completely faded. I wonder how much it would cost to marry the color of the 4:3 road show copy with the faded elements like the Criterion "Mad Mad World" reconstruction?

ptb2020

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul Trevor Bale
Such a pity the big studios haven’t followed the lead Scorcese gave with restoration of movies. Why does Hollywood not consider cinema an art worth preserving? France restores and archives so many of its cinematic history to put Hollywood to shame.

DVBRD

Second Unit
Real Name
Andy
Such a pity the big studios haven’t followed the lead Scorcese gave with restoration of movies. Why does Hollywood not consider cinema an art worth preserving? France restores and archives so many of its cinematic history to put Hollywood to shame.

Hollywood is, and has always been, a business.

Sad, but true.

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
Hope springs eternal ! "RAINTREE" for Blu-Ray
740.jpg

Vern Dias

Second Unit
Real Name
Theodore V Dias
While the version shown on TCM was at least in HD, the transfer left a lot to be desired. Tons of negative dirt, lots of printer timing light bumps, visible aliasing on diagonal lines, and many un-repaired tape splices at scene changes.

But, it's the best transfer we have today, and certainly tons better than the Laser Disc, with its poor resolution and horrible interlace line twitter throughout.

Here's a screen photo from it with some digital repair work applied.

RC-20200813_083628-C.jpg

Still hoping for more, but pretty happy with what we have.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks