What's new

RAINTREE COUNTY on Blu? (1 Viewer)

moviepas

Supporting Actor
I have the Australian Exodus Blu Ray. I read the long book back in late 1970 when I lived in Wiesbaden/Germany and liked it.

Now for The Alamo & 1776 in Blu restored???

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Keith Cobby said:
Andrew, you are clearly a huge fan of Elizabeth Taylor, but for me she would be only one reason amongst many for wanting to see this film released on blu-ray. I am a big fan of Eva Marie Saint (North by Northwest and Grand Prix already out) and would therefore like Raintree County and Exodus released. Properly restored blu-rays of these large format films would look spectacular.
I would have to give it to Raintree County when it comes to which one should be released first - Exodus is already out as a servicable Blu-ray while Raintree can only be watched in 35mm prints once in a blue moon or as a foreign DVD release or worse. Possibly all releases that are currently out are going back to the laserdisc days in quality.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
Maybe I'm one of the only people who actually really likes and enjoys RAINTREE COUNTRY, but I certainly hope not. I really do wish that WB would give it a proper blu-ray as I will be one of the first to pre-order it. Only yesterday I won an ebay bid for an original souvenir program for the film which was probably sold at certain theaters during its first run. Didn't think that such a thing existed. Of course, I'm a classic movie nut who finds most of today's films dreadful but finds films like the often maligned CAVALCADE fascinating and a lot of fun.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Ed Lachmann said:
Maybe I'm one of the only people who actually really likes and enjoys RAINTREE COUNTRY, but I certainly hope not. I really do wish that WB would give it a proper blu-ray as I will be one of the first to pre-order it. Only yesterday I won an ebay bid for an original souvenir program for the film which was probably sold at certain theaters during its first run. Didn't think that such a thing existed. Of course, I'm a classic movie nut who finds most of today's films dreadful but finds films like the often maligned CAVALCADE fascinating and a lot of fun.
It received the most votes for which title would you like released in 2014 on Blu-ray by HTF members.

Movie programs were sold at first run theaters for all roadshow films.

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
RolandL said:
It received the most votes for which title would you like released in 2014 on Blu-ray by HTF members.

Movie programs were sold at first run theaters for all roadshow films.
I too have the movie program. I have over 100-150 of them I will eventually want to 'move'...
On the Raintree County topic a number of people have stated that TCM as well as the VHS tape show/were the complete 'uncut' version'. I'm not so sure that the TCM version which does include the Overture Intermission/Entr'acte music is in fact complete. Is it?

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Ed Lachmann said:
You are not alone - I also like it a lot even after repeated viewings, the last one only being a few years ago.And as Roland says - it is at the top of the poll so evidently a lot of people like it, plus it got there twice which is quite an achievement!

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
Paul Rossen said:
I too have the movie program. I have over 100-150 of them I will eventually want to 'move'...
On the Raintree County topic a number of people have stated that TCM as well as the VHS tape show/were the complete 'uncut' version'. I'm not so sure that the TCM version which does include the Overture Intermission/Entr'acte music is in fact complete. Is it?
The one program I really would love to own is the '56 ALEXANDER THE GREAT, which was directed by your namesake. Do you have that one?

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I saw Raintree County during its original roadshow presentation in San Juan, Puerto Rico. Impressive presentation and, I believe, shown in its original 70mm stereo format. I think this was only done for international showings. It's a long, lumbering, fascinating movie. A new generation of film lovers should be able to appreciate its many virtues (and defects) in the best possible presentation.
Plus to have one of Ms. Taylor's best performances, and at her loveliest, missing in action for so many years, is positively shameful. Here's to you, Andrew, Raintree's biggest champion!

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
Ed Lachmann said:
The one program I really would love to own is the '56 ALEXANDER THE GREAT, which was directed by your namesake. Do you have that one?
Nope.. Don't have that one. Have Solomon and Sheba, Julius Caesar, Quo Vadis, Richard 111 among many others.

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
Ed Lachmann said:
When I worked at United Artists Australia in '56, we never had a theatre program for "Alexander the Great".
We did have a press book however (as did all films)
It's possible that a program book did exist in the US, as this was one of United Artists first Cinemascope releases.

My only remaining souvenir of Alexander is an 8x10 glossy.
alexander.jpg

Love the hidden light near his foot.

Doug.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Doug Bull said:
When I worked at United Artists Australia in '56, we never had a theatre program for "Alexander the Great".
It's possible that a program book did exist in the US, as this was one of United Artists first Cinemascope releases.

attachicon.gif
alexander.jpg

Doug.
Wow Doug, that is a fantastic picture and I am sure you could tell some stories from your time at United Artists! Not sure if it is commmon knowledge but Alejandro Magno as they call it is out on Blu-ray in Spain and looks decent if not great. I picked it up together with The Grass is Greener which does not look like it came from large format elements and John Paul Jones which looks as if it was an animated movie - my first thought was that I should only have gotten Alexander!

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
OliverK said:
Wow Doug, that is a fantastic picture and I am sure you could tell some stories from your time at United Artists!
Richard Burton almost looks like a Superhero. He's only missing a Hammer or the Big 'S'

Now the boring bit,
I joined UA straight from school, at the tender age of just 16, starting out my years with them as an office boy.

How many other movie loving school leavers at the time could boast Charles Chaplin, Mary Pickford and Douglas Fairbanks snr as their first bosses. ^_^
Strange I never got to meet them. Probably not their fault, I can only guess they were just too busy. ;)

Back to "Raintree County"...

Doug.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Doug Bull said:
Richard Burton almost looks like a Superhero. He's only missing a Hammer or the Big 'S' Now the boring bit,I joined UA straight from school, at the tender age of just 16, starting out my years with them as an office boy. How many other movie loving school leavers at the time could boast Charles Chaplin, Mary Pickford and Douglas Fairbanks snr as their first bosses. ^_^Strange I never got to meet them. Probably not their fault, I can only guess they were just too busy. ;) Back to "Raintree County"... Doug.
Cool - can't really beat them as bosses!

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Doug Bull said:
Richard Burton almost looks like a Superhero. He's only missing a Hammer or the Big 'S' Now the boring bit,I joined UA straight from school, at the tender age of just 16, starting out my years with them as an office boy.How many other movie loving school leavers at the time could boast Charles Chaplin, Mary Pickford and Douglas Fairbanks snr as their first bosses. ^_^Strange I never got to meet them. Probably not their fault, I can only guess they were just too busy. ;)Back to "Raintree County"...Doug.
Working at United Artists Theatres, I had access to the corporate files which went all the way back to the founding of the theatre company. I would get a thrill looking at the corporate minutes with Mary Pickford's and D. W. Griffith's signature on them. Charlie Chaplin was involved in the theatre circuit.

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
ahollis said:
Working at United Artists Theatres, I had access to the corporate files which went all the way back to the founding of the theatre company. I would get a thrill looking at the corporate minutes with Mary Pickford's and D. W. Griffith's signature on them. Charlie Chaplin was involved in the theatre circuit.
How about that Allen, apparently we both worked for the same organisation at some stage.

United Artists never owned any theatres in Australia at that time. The Hoyts chain handled all of the UA releases here.

Having access to the minutes would have been very fascinating and most interesting indeed.

One of my thrills was having access to the film vaults, which at that stage still contained most of the mid and pre 40s Disney material.
The saddest time was when they carted all those priceless Disney treasures (including merchandising) away to be destroyed.
I still remember the auditors with Axes in hand accompanying the crates of Film and other material all the way to the city dump.
Every swing of the Axe brought instant tears and heartbreak. :( and maybe another lost treasure?

Doug.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
ahollis said:
Slight correction: Charlie Chaplin was NOT involved in the theatre circuit.

cinerama10

Supporting Actor
Real Name
peter
mikeyhitchfan said:
So would releasing some long overdue titles on blu-ray..like a Hitchcock box set with all the titles they own! Or a Bogart box. Or a Scorsese box.
SCORSESE box? He is one of the most overrated directors of all time!

cinerama10

Supporting Actor
Real Name
peter
moviepas said:
I have the Australian Exodus Blu Ray. I read the long book back in late 1970 when I lived in Wiesbaden/Germany and liked it.

THE ALAMO was a flop and only the finale was memorable on the 70mm screen..I understand it is due for bluray later this year? Maybe if John Wayne had made a factual film about the ALAMO instead one of fiction ,it would have been more successful.. As it stands today,it is a work of mostly fiction.

cinerama10

Supporting Actor
Real Name
peter
moviepas said:

1776 was a memorable musical on the 70mm screen. It is definitely worthy of a bluray release.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Doug Bull said:

attachicon.gif
alexander.jpg

Doug.
There was a 4-page German program

View attachment 8607

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks