Rainbow Effect(rbe) and me is there a fix? also slight hourglass shape

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Premium
Ambassador
Real Name
Tony D.
so i've had a mits 73831 for about 3 weeks.

i knew about rbe from reading other forums.

but after 2 years of looking at dlp tv in showrooms and the 46" toshiba my dad bought 1 year ago i never saw any rbe.

within a couple hrs orso of watching mine
i saw rbe.

i used dve to adjust settings but not any better.

the service tech saw it right away but led me to believe he never saw this before.

after looking into it himself he called me back and feels there is a fix for this.

he will either replace the color wheel or the light engine or both.

i'm not so sure it can be fixed but rather reduced and that wouldnt do it for me.

i also have a slight hourglass shape.
noticable when a vertical ****** like a window frame or building is in the shot.
also watching sd material with bars on either side.

tech said this is not fixable and is a product of the "fish eye" lens

so i'm looking for opinions on these 2 issues from the experts on htf.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
How obvious rainbow effect seems to be varies from person to person. Some folks don't find RBE objectionable with a "1x" wheel speed (one red flash, one green flash, one blue flash every 1/60'th second). Some folks cannot stand it with any wheel speed. Some folks find RBE less objectionable if the projector has a fourth window, clear, in the wheel which flashes a "full black and white" picture.

Lines that should be straight but are smoothly curved (not pixel stair stepped) on non-CRT RPTV or FPTV have to do with projection lens deficiencies and cannot be corrected with calibration.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gullfo