Rain: How goes the guitar?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by TheoGB, Mar 25, 2002.

1. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

Tell all, man. You must have been at it for quite a while now...

2. Rain

Rain Producer

Dude, you could have emailed. [​IMG]
    Seriously, though, I'm still plugging away at it, but definitely have made much progress.
    I've also come to realize a couple of things:
    - I'm not an electric guitar guy. I'm going to see what I can do about unloading the electric and focusing on playing the acoustic. Don't get me wrong, I love the sound of an electric as well, but I just don't feel "at one" with the electric guitar like I do with the acoustic.
    - I need a new guitar teacher. My friend has taught me much and it certainly hasn't been a waste of time. But we did take something of an ass-backwards approach to it and we tend to fool around a lot during "lessons." I think I may try to get some books and just work on it alone for a while (now that I have some basics down that I can build on) and just get some guidance from him from time to time.
    That's pretty much it in a nutshell.
    Thanks for asking. [​IMG]

3. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

Darn - I wrote a reply and then the internet died and I lost it! [​IMG]
    Anyway, I really enjoy acoustic guitar. Check out a 12-String as they are far easier to play and maintain than they look, and they sound so cool!
    I only didn't email you as I thought other members might like to know how you're doing too, given your past threads on the subject! [​IMG]
    Good luck in finding a new source of teaching. I'd suggest finding the hardest piece you know and practicing using tabulature. Always helped me to become better at other stuff, even if I never could get the actual piece right for a year or so!!![​IMG]

4. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I've changed strings and tuned a 12 string...[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I would suggest avoiding tablature at all costs. It will not teach you anything but where to put your fiongers to play a certain song. Learn chords and theory, take lessons from a music store. Aviod tab, it is not musical, only mechanical.

5. John Stone

John Stone Supporting Actor

6. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I'm a bass player and I think tab is more harmful to learning music for a bassist than a guitarrist. However, I would still run away from tab. You should be able to get chord charts for anything that you can find tab for, and with a chord reference of some kind you can take the chord charts to learn the song. It will be just as easy as tab but instead of learning where to put your fingers at the beginning of the chorus you'll be learning Cmin. Instead of saying "gee that sounds nice" you'll be able to say "Gee that Em7 sounds nice". You'll know what to play either way, but only by learning the chords will you know what you're playing.

7. John Stone

Chords and notes can be learned by name without knowing how to read music. I know many "tab-only" guitarists who know the name of every note they are playing, including the names of each note in every chord they play, and the chord names as well. But they still can't read music. For example, I know that the 3rd fret on my 1st and 6th strings is a "G", and I knew that long before I ever read a single sheet of music. Music theory taught me that, not the ability to read sheet music.
    Additionally most (if not all) tab I've seen has the chord name and "spelling" noted above the tab "staff".
    BTW Philip, I love your HT, it looks great! [​IMG]

8. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

Guys, guys. I'm not advocating losing music theory. But tab books can be very useful. Not all chords are easily described and while you can get a good sense of a track the tab can show you what open strings might be used in a given configuration.
    There's nothing wrong with tablature - it's simply a different way to write music down. I find most sheet music is pretty hard to use without the original music to work from anyway - your ear is a much better judge in the end.
    I have never found a 12-String to be a problem, and strung with light strings it is a very versatile instrument. Rain said he preferred acoustic to electric, hence my recommendation that he try out such a guitar. Don't forget the lead on Stairway to Heaven is on a 12-string, though! [​IMG]

9. John Stone

10. Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker Screenwriter

While a 12 string may not be a great lead guitar, they are a lot of fun to have around. And some lead stuff has been played (overplayed in the case of Hotel California)on 12 strings. "Over The Hills and Far Away" sounds excellent on a 12. Changing strings and tuning isn't bad at all, provided you use a string winder/peg puller and a good chromatic tuner. Just bring them up slowly and let them stretch first, and you'll get a lot more life out of them. Also, the amount of force being generated by a string tension on a 12 is very high; if you break a string, I would loosen the remaining ones immediately until you can replace them.

A cheap upgrade is to buy a slide and try it out with some open tunings (D being the least likely to snap strings). If you enjoy it (and acoustic guitar), you might think about trading that electric for a dobro or a lap steel.

As far as tab vs. sheet music: tab is cheaper, easier to learn, and easier to write. With other instruments (bass, mandolin, piano) it is not practical, but for the guitar it is the best and fastest way to pick up skill and theory.

11. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    I've been playing guitar for 5 years now, i started off on bass which i learned sheet music with.

But with guitar, i basically learned everything wtih tab. I know all the notes on the guitar, and I can read sheet music... I think its perfectly fine to only learn tabs BUT...

One thing bad about tabs is normally learning sheet music with guitar you learn the scales and all. I havent memorized ANY scales at all, but i can probably figure out the major scales for all the notes easily. Even still, thats one thing im missing by not learning sheet music with guitar...

12. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

13. John Stone