What's new

Pre-Order Rain (1932) 90th Anniversary (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
81u3BjIlINL._SX522_.jpg

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Genres: Drama
Starring: Joan Crawford, Walter Huston, Fred Howard
Director: Lewis Milestone
Plot Synopsis:
VCI is pleased to present RAIN, celebrating it's 90 Anniversary in a stunning new 4K restoration, produced from the original, uncut 94-minute version. It is a most important film in the history of the cinema, and one of the greatest films the 'Thirties' produced. The consummate dramatic and artistic achievement of both Miss Crawford and Walter Huston will give the picture life for many decades to come. W. Somerset Maugham's powerful story of Sadie Thompson has perhaps the most celebrated version, vividly capturing the lives of several very different human beings, thrown together on Pago Pago during a fierce monsoon. Brilliant performances are given by Crawford, as the cynical prostitute, and Huston, as the minister who tries to reform her. A 'tour de force' of camera work, style and direction of a film that caused controversy when first released, 'Rain' is one of the true classic dramas of film history.
Bonus features include: Alternate Opening Title and Credits Sequence from the 18-minute shorter, 1938 Atlantic Reissue, Period appropriate Betty Boop Cartoon and Newsreel, Poster & Photo Gallery, Original Theatrical Trailer, Liner notes reprinted from Views & Reviews Magazine by Jon Tuska, author and film historian., Commentary track by Richard Barrios Writer, Historian, and Commentator , Commentary track by Mick LaSalle Writer for the San Francisco Chronicle and noted film historian.

I wonder what elements were available to scan in 4K.

Last edited:

Harold Chasen

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steven
I've never seen this movie, but Mick LaSalle and Richard Barrios are two of my all-time favorite writers on film. So, I'm in for this disc for sure.

In his book Complicated Women, Mick LaSalle had an....interesting...take on Crawford's performance. I wonder if his view has changed since the book came out in 2000 (hard to believe it's been that long!).

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
A brilliant, total departure for Joan Crawford and one of the greatest acting jobs she ever did. It flopped at the box office because it wasn't the 'Crawford' audiences expected to see. But she's amazing in it. Have only seen ugly, poorly contrasted, grainy and distorted versions of this pic, but Crawford's brute force and raw energy shined through nonetheless. Cannot wait to see this restored edition hit shelves. Surely, will be a highlight of the fall buying season.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I remember many years ago Joan Crawford hosted a week of her movies on WNEW TV ch 5 in New York City. This was one of the films shown. She was not a fan of her performance.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I'm dubious about VCI releases (too used to questionable DVDs from them), but if the reviews are good for this, I'm game.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Genres: Drama
Starring: Joan Crawford, Walter Huston, Fred Howard
Director: Lewis Milestone
Plot Synopsis:
VCI is pleased to present RAIN, celebrating it's 90 Anniversary in a stunning new 4K restoration, produced from the original, uncut 94-minute version. It is a most important film in the history of the cinema, and one of the greatest films the 'Thirties' produced. The consummate dramatic and artistic achievement of both Miss Crawford and Walter Huston will give the picture life for many decades to come. W. Somerset Maugham's powerful story of Sadie Thompson has perhaps the most celebrated version, vividly capturing the lives of several very different human beings, thrown together on Pago Pago during a fierce monsoon. Brilliant performances are given by Crawford, as the cynical prostitute, and Huston, as the minister who tries to reform her. A 'tour de force' of camera work, style and direction of a film that caused controversy when first released, 'Rain' is one of the true classic dramas of film history.
Bonus features include: Alternate Opening Title and Credits Sequence from the 18-minute shorter, 1938 Atlantic Reissue, Period appropriate Betty Boop Cartoon and Newsreel, Poster & Photo Gallery, Original Theatrical Trailer, Liner notes reprinted from Views & Reviews Magazine by Jon Tuska, author and film historian., Commentary track by Richard Barrios Writer, Historian, and Commentator , Commentary track by Mick LaSalle Writer for the San Francisco Chronicle and noted film historian.

I wonder what elements were available to scan in 4K. Came from LOC

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
I'm dubious about VCI releases (too used to questionable DVDs from them), but if the reviews are good for this, I'm game.
The last decade has seen them really up their game - their final work on Scrooge -- White Zombie - all the great Rank titles --check out their 'The Way Ahead' 'Above The Waves' their stunning Gang Busters so I know this release will be great and VCI took the forum posters advice on who to use for the commentary tracks!

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
The New Yorker Theater showed a stunning 35mm print of Rain. Beautifully shot, edited and directed.
I had already seen Walsh's Sadie Thompson with its, sadly, last reel missing and found Swanson to be a delightful, vivacious trollop. Her repentance was believable and her terrifying fall from grace was the stronger for it. Great performance.
Crawford, on the other hand, was a tough-as-nails prostitute that was the farthest from a good-time gal as Sadie could be. How any sailor could think he could have fun (apart from transactional sex) with her, is beyond me. At the end, she's just like she was at the beginning. A tough-as-nails prostitute. Was this a case of her being misdirected? Who knows? I just feel that it's not a successful interpretation.
Even Rita Hayworth got it right.

The New Yorker Theater showed a stunning 35mm print of Rain. Beautifully shot, edited and directed.
I had already seen Walsh's Sadie Thompson with its, sadly, last reel missing and found Swanson to be a delightful, vivacious trollop. Her repentance was believable and her terrifying fall from grace was the stronger for it. Great performance.
Crawford, on the other hand, was a tough-as-nails prostitute that was the farthest from a good-time gal as Sadie could be. How any sailor could think he could have fun (apart from transactional sex) with her, is beyond me. At the end, she's just like she was at the beginning. A tough-as-nails prostitute. Was this a case of her being misdirected? Who knows? I just feel that it's not a successful interpretation.
Ok so I don’t understand this term “good time gal”. I think it’s a man’s romanticized interpretation of a prostitute. I love Joan’s interpretation because it’s from a woman’s point of view and she always seems the most modern of all the Old Hollywood stars. A woman today can easily understand Joan’s Sadie, 90 years later! On one side men want her body; on the flip side another man wants her soul (but really it’s her body he wants). She’s trapped on a rainy humid arm pit of an island and has to deal with this crap with only herself to fight. Nothing about this says “good time”. CRAWFORD ignores the male myth and shows us how a woman really feels. I love all the strong women of Old Hollywood. But what sets CRAWFORD apart and why so many still love or hate or fear her…when crap comes her way, she fights as hard as a Davis or Stanwyck but the power she fights back with is the same MALE POWER used against her! She is dangerous. I love that she had the guts to play many roles this way. Cannot wait for the restored RAIN!

Emcee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Belflower
Rain was Crawford's first venture into more "serious" film roles after spending the Jazz Age as the ultimate flapper. It was released in 1932, the same year she appeared in the multi-star blockbuster Grand Hotel.

When Rain performed poorly, Crawford basically rejected the film from her memory. The opinion Crawford held of her films was typically judged by the way audiences had received them.

Even so, I might be inclined to watch Rain.

1655909691476.png

warnerbro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Darrell
Wow! Look at these extras! I love VCI!

• Commentary track by Mick LaSalle Writer for the San Francisco Chronicle and noted film historian.
  • Commentary track by Richard Barrios Writer, Historian, and Commentator
  • Liner notes
  • Original Theatrical Trailer
  • Poster & Photo Gallery
  • Period appropriate Betty Boop Cartoon and Newsreel
  • Alternate Opening Title and Credits Sequence from the 18-minute shorter, 1938 Atlantic Reissue

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Crawford agreed with you. From the book Conversations With Joan Crawford by Roy Newquist:

"I hope they burn every print of this turkey in existence. It was simply awful. I don't understand to this day how I could have given such an unpardonably bad performance. All my fault too. Milestone's direction was so feeble I took the bull by the horns and did my own Sadie Thompson. I was wrong every scene of the way."

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
I also saw that print, which I remember being very beautiful. But I don't remember the film all that well. I'm willing to take a chance on it again, if the master isn't DNR-ed to death, which VCI used to do a lot, though that may have changed, as I've heard good things about A WALK IN THE SUN. BTW, Molly Haskell really liked RAIN a lot, and completely disagrees with Ms. Crawford's opinion of her performance. https://news.google.com/newspapers?id=L9pHAAAAIBAJ&sjid=CIwDAAAAIBAJ&pg=6299,4929537

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks