Raiders of the Lost Ark

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeremy Jones, Feb 28, 2002.

1. Jeremy Jones

Jeremy Jones Stunt Coordinator

I can't wait for the DVD...so I bought the widescreen laserdisc. It is EXCELLENT! The picture is beautiful and I hadn't seen the widescreen version since 1981 at the theater. Do yourself a favor and pick up a version on ebay. It could be the last release of the regular edition if Spielberg has his way. Only minus? It's movie only. Not even a trailer, but hey, IT'S RAIDERS!

2. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Cinematographer

Francois Caron
    I have all three movies on Laserdisc and still watch them from time to time. I'm always surprised how good the sound is even if it's only Dolby Surround. I even had a chance to crank it up real loud when checking out "Temple of Doom" in an A/V store years ago. The system consisted of Paradigm 100 model speakers and the whole store was being flooded with the sounds of deadly machinery, a panicking archeologist and a sreaming hysterical woman with a bug phobia! [​IMG]
    Why these three movies aren't on DVD is beyond me. It just makes no economic sense!

3. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden

4. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

The sound on the Raiders of the Lost Ark LD is indeed excellent, with great dynamics and clarity. The only bad thing I noticed on it was excessively high surround levels during the storm cloud scene when the Tomb of the Dead is opened, causing distortion. The picture quality is okay, but it's been noted that there's a noticeable red push on it. An anamorphic DVD made from the hidef master shown recently on ABC would be wonderful.

5. Jim A. Banville

Jim A. Banville Supporting Actor

I have Raiders... on DVD! DVD-R actually, made from my widescreen LD. Sweet!

Jim

6. Tommy G

Tommy G Screenwriter

Jim, you caused me to :drool: at that. How is the transfer to the dvd-r I wonder from the LD?

7. DanR

DanR Supporting Actor

So I'm in the bar with some friends. The waitress brings me and a friend each a Guiness. He takes a sip and says, "Hey, I forgot to tell ya. I saw Raiders on TV the other day for the first time in probably 10 years. What an awesome movie!!! Now I know why you say it's your favorite movie." I said, "Yep." He says, "So I went looking for the DVD, and couldn't find it ANYWHERE." I said, "Yep." He said, "Uh-oh, you have that 'look' in your eyes." I said, "Don't get me started, cause after a few beers I'll be ranting and raving like a lunatic. So, how's your wife?"

I've looked for the laserdiscs for years. Couldn't find them. Ordered the ones that were to be released in 1999, but they were later cancelled. Now, my Laserdisc player is about to go into cardiac arrest so it's pointless to buy any more Laserdiscs on Ebay. I have to limit my use of the LD player to only Star Wars once a year. It's going to be a sad day once I put that baby to rest.

Seriously, there's no excuse by Lucasfilm or Paramount as to why these titles couldn't have been released to DVD this year. They both suck as far as I'm concerned.

Regards,

Dan

8. Ryan L B

Ryan L B Supporting Actor

If possible get the vhs widescreen version for $30 at best but. Yes the quality is not the best, but hey it is vhs and it will not be on dvd anytime soon.

9. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    Ryan,

I hope you are talking about all three Indy movies. The MSRP for the Raiders widescreen VHS is $15.

Regards,

10. Gruson

Gruson Second Unit

I own all of the LDs too. While they are good, they are NOTHING compared to the HD, 1080i version that aired a couple of weeks ago on ABC.

Holy sh*t both Raiders and Temple looked and sounded impressive.

I am thinking about buying a hipix now, just to be able to watch them again. Forget DVD, give me HD-DVD now!

11. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Cinematographer

Francois Caron
    The only problem with the HD television broadcast (I only watched portions of it on ExpressVu's SDTV channel 299) is that the movie runs just under two hours, but the broadcast lasted three hours! 33% of the presentation consisted of COMMERCIALS! Ick!

12. Brian Lawrence

Brian Lawrence Producer

Brian
    Avon Theater in Providence RI, will be showing "Raiders" on the Big screen Next weekend [​IMG]

13. Shane Dodson

Shane Dodson Stunt Coordinator

I just saw a commercial last night on AMC. They're showing both RAIDERS and TEMPLE OF DOOM, sometime in early March (I can't remember the exact date).

I'm not familiar with how AMC presents their movies, but I certainly hope that--if they're not letterboxed--they will be at least without commercial interruption.

Those commercial breaks REALLY mess up the pacing of the first half of TEMPLE OF DOOM.

-S.D.

14. Jeremy Jones

Jeremy Jones Stunt Coordinator

I agree that they should put Indy this year! They have the new transfer, they have extras. Sit Lucas down for 6 hours and let him talk about all three flicks and you have a commentary! I GUARANTEE you it would be the highest selling dvd set ever...unless Lucas decided to put out the original trilogy this year. Before you laugh, he could easily put out the originals (Not SE's) with the From Star Wars to Jedi documentary, as well as others, trailers, and commentaries for about $60. Can you say Cash Cow???

15. Ash Williams

Ash Williams Second Unit

16. Eric F

Eric F Screenwriter

17. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

18. Robert Dunnill

Robert Dunnill Second Unit

19. DanR

DanR Supporting Actor

20. Joseph Bolus

Joseph Bolus Cinematographer

In spite of everything that I've been reading on this Forum the last few days (including Ron indicating that Raiders currently does not show up on the current Paramount release schedule for the year) I still contend that there is at least a 60% chance that we'll see Raiders, in a 2 disc set, on DVD, by late August.

If we don't hear some additional "buzz" regarding this rumor by the end of March, then I'll give up on it and join the masses of people trying to locate a LD player on EBAY ... (Heck! Perhaps they should start selling LD players over the counter in this country again just so we can view the "Indiana Jones" and Original Star Wars trilogies in a decent format at home!)