Raiders of the lost ark????

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Tyler Gagnon, Oct 3, 2004.

1. Tyler Gagnon

Tyler Gagnon Stunt Coordinator

I was watching this movie agian today, in the scene were the nazis board the ship to take the ark.. Indie is seen on top of the sub, Now how in the hell did he ride this out? Becase it looked to me like they were getting ready to submerge. If not. And he was on top of it... surely someone would have spotted him. And while i'm am at it Could someone tell me why Temple of doom is said to be a prequel, Is this stated somewhere?

2. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    There was no reason for the sub to submerge, as WWII hadn't started yet.

Also Temple of Doom I belive was set in 1936, Raiders in 1939.

3. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Submarines of that era did not submerge often, as their ability to stay submerged was limited due to having to run on batteries—and they were very much slower than when they could use their diesel engines.

If you want to pick at something unrealistic, submarines always had crewmen on watch when running on the surface.

If the sub submerged, he would have drowned (or been swept away) and if it stayed on the surface, the crew would have seen him.

Either way he would not have made it.

But then, it’s a movie, not real life.

4. Ray H

Ray H Producer

Ray
    In TheRaider.net's deleted scenes section, they say there was a scene cut where Indy was supposed to hang on to the periscope. Scroll down for some pics and a bit from the Marvel comics adaptation with the deleted scene.

http://www.theraider.net/films/raide...ted_scenes.php

5. MikeRS

MikeRS Screenwriter

Cut scenes:

6. DAN NEIR

DAN NEIR Guest

Raiders says in the beginning 1936
    Temple says 1935.
    Its right at the start of both films after the credits

7. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

In short, the sub would submerge to snorkel depth so that it could still get fresh air. You'd have to look really close to see two small poles coming out of the water to know that there is a sub there.

As for the initial dive, it was esy to misjudge 'going down' to snorkel depth. They'd correct it as soon as they could.

Glenn

8. FilipM

FilipM Stunt Coordinator

A 1936 German U-Boot wouldn't have a snorkel. [​IMG] But it's a movie, and a damned good one so I don't care too much how Indy hopped a ride on the submarine..

9. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch
    Why, in the truck chase, didn't the Nazi stop the truck after her got control of it, and then simply shoot Indy with a truckload of soldiers as back-up?

There's a ton of these questions, but the movie goes by so damn fast, and is so much fun, we don't think to ask these things until we've seen it a number of times. That's why it's great.

10. Gary->dee

Gary->dee Screenwriter

If you're to base Raiders on reality Indy would have got shot within the first 5 minutes of the movie by one of his own men- the guy that pulled the gun on him and whom Indy first displayed his whip action.

Speaking of which, is the guy who pulled the gun in the beginning of the movie supposed to be the same man on the bike with the monkey later on in Cairo? I know they're the same actor but I'm still trying to figure out if they're supposed to be the same man. After all, Indy did spare his life and he could have ran off, grown a goatee(or van dyke- whatever).

I'm guessing that yes it is supposed to be the same man, despite the addition of facial hair later on in the movie.

11. Jefferson Morris

Jefferson Morris Supporting Actor

Indy may have spared him, but the Hovitos (sp?) didn't. He suffers the death by a thousand toothpicks, toppling over in front of Indy when Belloq makes his entrance. So they can't be the same character.

--Jefferson Morris

12. Gary->dee

Gary->dee Screenwriter

Shit I completely forgot about that scene(*slaps forehead) and I shouldn't have since I've seen the movie so many times. Thanks for the reminder, Jefferson. [​IMG]

Maybe it's his brother? [​IMG]

13. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Cinematographer

He didn't have the soldiers as back-up. Indy had already kicked the crap out of the original driver, thrown him out (and he did this so quickly that the guy never had a chance to stop the truck), and then shaken off all of the remaining soldiers except for the one guy who does get in and throws him through the windshield [​IMG]

14. Shawn_McD

Shawn_McD Stunt Coordinator

Seems like alot of smoke and mirrors to me.

15. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

"If you're wondering how he eats and breathes/
    or other science facts/
    then repeat to yourself: it's just a show/
    I should really just relax"

[​IMG]

Fittingly true for any good hearted romp.. you can overlook the science if it's entertaining and at least remotely possible.