What's new

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Paramount released the first four Indiana Jones adventures on 4K in a nice boxset back in June 2021. A year later, Paramount is rolling out the individual films in new Steelbook editions, with Raiders first out of the gate. The single disc release is a simple repackaging of the film disc from that boxset. Since all the special features for the films were on a fifth disc in that boxset, this release has nothing except a handful of trailers. So, in essence, the only compelling reason to pick up this release is for the Steelbook, or if you don’t want any of the sequels and can live without special features.
The Steelbook is handsome, replicating very closely one of the theatrical poster designs for the 1982 reissue of the film by Richard Amsel (eagle eyed fans have pointed out the differences on a related thread here at HTF). I love a good Steelbook, and while I enjoy artistic expressions to capture the essence of a film, there’s nothing quite like making good use of original...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
This was originally scheduled for 6/7 but is coming tomorrow 6/14.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Released 41 years ago today.

Here's a story.

I was nine when it came out and Star Wars was so much of life (action figures, play sets, etc.). My mom's friend told her she should take me to see it. I was sort of iffy, but went and liked it.

However, maybe it was the second time I saw it, I felt in love with it.

I saw it about a dozen times between 1981-1982 as there was a local "dollar show" which brought back the same raggedy old print (think grindhouse quality - yet in some way fitting for the movie at the time) every several months or so.

Raiders became my favorite movie even over Star Wars and Empire which was saying A LOT.

Still my number one favorite movie today. I own the UHD BD boxset, but might have to grab the steel book at some point.

Kent K H

Supporting Actor
I'm mainly tempted to get this because the box set is so darned poorly designed and really unattractive, so I hadn't picked it up yet.

But what I'll probably do is wait and see if a more appealing box comes out after Mangold's film is released.

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
Here's a story.

I was nine when it came out and Star Wars was so much of life (action figures, play sets, etc.). My mom's friend told her she should take me to see it. I was sort of iffy, but went and liked it.

However, maybe it was the second time I saw it, I felt in love with it.

I saw it about a dozen times between 1981-1982 as there was a local "dollar show" which brought back the same raggedy old print (think grindhouse quality - yet in some way fitting for the movie at the time) every several months or so.

Raiders became my favorite movie even over Star Wars and Empire which was saying A LOT.

Still my number one favorite movie today. I own the UHD BD boxset, but might have to grab the steel book at some point.

My brother had to drag me to see Raiders. He begged me because I could drive and he couldn't. We went to a matinee and loved it so much and were so enthusiastic talking about it over dinner that our parents took us to see it again that very night because they had to see what we were talking about. In time, it came to our neighborhood theater (probably that same grindhouse print) and we would pay $1 and watch it over and over.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Because if you redeem it on iTunes, it has iTunes extras.

So the download comes with extras? Stuff from the bonus disc of the 4-movie set or different stuff?

I never download so I don't know nuttin' about that universe! I just figured a feature-less 4K would be a feature-less download!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
So the download comes with extras? Stuff from the bonus disc of the 4-movie set or different stuff?

I never download so I don't know nuttin' about that universe! I just figured a feature-less 4K would be a feature-less download!
The iTunes 4K digital has a bunch of featurettes with almost 3 hours of bonus material including 2-3 trailers of Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I just watched the new 4K and I'm absolutely satisfied with its look and sound now, having found the Blu-ray an unpleasant disappointment. But I'm hanging on to the box set because that is where all the extra features are.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I just watched the new 4K and I'm absolutely satisfied with its look and sound now, having found the Blu-ray an unpleasant disappointment. But I'm hanging on to the box set because that is where all the extra features are.

I have not even watched it on my new JVC FP yet, but on my prior one I thought Raiders looked great on UHD BD. Fully agree it's a big improvement from the BD in terms of detail and most especially color! Most of the orange tinted base has been removed.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
In December of 1981, Eric Twin Horsham finally got "Raiders of the Lost Ark." Their presentation was something to remember, and this is a re-creation of how the opening and closing of the film were presented at that theater.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks