What's new

raiders of the Lost Ark..........To be digitally edited!!!! (1 Viewer)

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
The film in question is the soon to be released DVD of Raiders. The shots in question are where Indy falls into the snake pit, and you see reflections on a glass wall that's protecting Harrison from the snakes? Word is that those reflections are being digitally editied from the shot so you can't see the glass or the reflections. I can already hear the cries from fans everywhere about Speilberg repeating what happened with E.T., or another Star Wars fiasco. Personally, since nothing in the movie is actually being removed, just a revealing mistake, I see no harm at all. Maybe some purists who like everything in the movie, even the mistakes and errors(boom mikes, cameramen) will want that sort of thing left in.

Josh Simpson

Supporting Actor
I think this has been discussed before. From everything I've read and heard, the releases in the fall will not be touched. Thank goodness!

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
It'll probably be gone.

Sure, hundreds of people will avoid it because of that... I personally feel that it should stay since it's a very important plot point. :D

Sean Campbell

Second Unit
When 'The Fellowship of the Ring' was released on dvd, a car was digitally removed from a wide shot of Sam and Frodo walking across a field. Was that the right thing to do? Most certainly - for in a movie such as LOTR, we need to believe that what we are seeing is 'real'. A distant car would only shatter the movie magic. Same goes for the glass reflections in Raiders of the Lost Ark.
Directors are quite justified in removing errors such as boom mics and unwanted shadows IMO. Removing a small mistake is not quite the same thing as dumping a ton of CGI monsters into the frame.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
Funny, none of the press releases have mentioned anything about the films being re-worked, only that Lowery Digital is involved with cleaning up the images. The last time I checked, they're only involved with the transfer of the film, and not the digital removal of elements. I would think ILM would handle something like that, and if ILM was indeed involved with the DVD releases of this film it would have been mentioned in the press release.

Neil

Declan

Second Unit
The amount of times i've see Raiders (and thats far too many to count......the same I assume as many poeple on HTF) i've never noticed that reflection in the snake pit......NEVER. I've the PAL LD boxset so you'd think i'd be able to spot it with the great a/v quality of that set.

Actually the only thing that really buged me by "digitally upgrading" an old Speilberg film was removing "Quint's fart" off the soundtrack in the Jaws DVD. If you break out your old LD of it which obviously has the original mono track it's just after he gives the lifejackets to Brody and Hooper. After you hear it you can see Robert Shaw sitting down looking out too sea........

...........and trying very hard not to laugh:D :D :emoji_thumbsup: ------CLASSIC------

the original mono soundtrack to Jaws should have been on the dvd for that reason alone.

TonyDale

Second Unit
. . . actually, the clip in question was shown on one of the Washington 4th Specials on teevee tonight during a salute to composer John Williams. The reflection is there, alright.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
actually, the clip in question was shown on one of the Washington 4th Specials on teevee tonight during a salute to composer John Williams. The reflection is there, alright.
It was on A Capitol Fourth. After reading about this on AICN this morning, the reflection just JUMPS out at you. I'm really glad they are fixing it.

And congrats to John Williams on his award. It'll be great to hear his Indy score in DD! :)

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
If they change this I won't buy the DVD, since I already have the laserdisc. The widescreen LD was one of the first discs I bought when I got my LD player and I was glad that they had left it as it was shown in theaters- if a mistake slips past someone before it reaches theaters, then as far as I'm concerned it's too late- you've offically got a mistake in your movie and no fair changing it for a video release!
The widescreen edition of Grease shows a boom mike reflection in a jukebox, which is cropped out of the pan and scan version. Again, I'm glad they left that as-is- if they'd been paying attention, they would have fixed that before it was released theatrically!
I have 2 movies that I know of that were tampered with after theatrical release and are thus in the "flawed" sections of my shelf- Goldeneye, which had a boom mike drop down when Bond says "The writing's on the wall", and Detroit Rock City, which had a boom mike clearly visible in the mirror during the scene where they destroy the restroom.
I would not want the part in Star Wars where Luke shouts "Carrie!" to Carrie Fisher changed either- strangely that was left alone in Lucas's re-tooling!

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I would not want the part in Star Wars where Luke shouts "Carrie!" to Carrie Fisher changed either- strangely that was left alone in Lucas's re-tooling!
He doesn't. Check StarWars.com's FAQ. They've actually gone over the master tape recording, and it's more like a gulped "HEY!"

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
I never noticed it until after I thought about how they did that scene. Once I thought it must be glass, I saw it clear as day. Glad they are taking it out. Taking out a boom mic or something like that which is a total screw up is ok to me.

Paul_Stachniak

Screenwriter
i've never noticed that reflection in the snake pit......NEVER
In all the times I'd seen it on video, I never did either.

Until.... I saw it on the big screen recently. Now, I see it every time I watch my Widescreen VHS. However, its one of those little things I wish they'd keep.

After all this is a movie, stuff like that happens. And its fun to find them.

Britton

Screenwriter
Actually the only thing that really buged me by "digitally upgrading" an old Speilberg film was removing "Quint's fart" off the soundtrack in the Jaws DVD. If you break out your old LD of it which obviously has the original mono track it's just after he gives the lifejackets to Brody and Hooper. After you hear it you can see Robert Shaw sitting down looking out too sea........

...........and trying very hard not to laugh ------CLASSIC------

the original mono soundtrack to Jaws should have been on the dvd for that reason alone.
Well, next time I plan to watch this movie, I'll have a few extreme burritos an hour or two beforehand so I can recreate the original soundtrack.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
U know what sux, though...? Watching "Raiders" with a newbie, say your nephew who's never seen it, and HIM seing the reflection and then belittling the film for such an obvious goof, mistake. Then U trying to defend the film etc...

If it wasn't meant to be seen, I have NO problem with it being taken out. It ruins the illusion and the tension of the scene. Every time I have watched it with people over the years, they all say, "Look at the refelection! WEAK!"

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks